• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions Authorize Computer issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several purchased books that I currently can read on a computer that has a non authorized version of digital editions.

I want to buy some more books that I will need to be able to read on both that computer, and a laptop. So I figure that I need an authorized version of digital editions on both computers.

When I go to authorize the first computer, I get the message:

"Warning: If you have protected items in your Digital Editions library on this computer, they will no longer be readable"

So I'm worried that I will loose all of my previously purchased books.

This seems like a software/DRM bug on behalf of the software (even if it won't let me share the pre-authorization books, I shouldn't *loose* them if I authorize my computer. sheesh.

Does anyone have a good solution here?

I've been in touch with tech support for several days, but they are very slow to respond... and don't even seem to write in English very well.

thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

The upgrade from anonymous to named activation will only work for AdobeIDs that have not already been used for eBook DRM accounts.

From your description you have two computers (A and B).  On A you have anonymously activated (no Adobe ID), on B you have authorized to your AdobeID (lets call it a@example.com for now).  You have purchased content on both computers.  If you were to authorize computer A to your AdobeID (a@example.com) then you will lose all access to the previous content on computer A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2010 Mar 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello? Anyone? No answers.

Man, this is a real dissapointment in the digital editions software. Don't think I'd ever want to buy a book on this platform again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after 6 days of back and forth with tech support, the agent named Deepak gave me the solution to my problem.... for a PC.

As I had noted in the initial support request, I am running a mac.

I  asked for the Mac solution and he told me to ask on this forum.

Yeah, that's right, the one where I've had a question posted for an entire week with no response.

Beautiful.

Well, I certainly can't imagine I'll be purchasing any other books on this platform in the future. What a huge frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upgrade from anonymous to named activation will only work for AdobeIDs that have not already been used for eBook DRM accounts.

From your description you have two computers (A and B).  On A you have anonymously activated (no Adobe ID), on B you have authorized to your AdobeID (lets call it a@example.com for now).  You have purchased content on both computers.  If you were to authorize computer A to your AdobeID (a@example.com) then you will lose all access to the previous content on computer A.

Note: ADE only supports one authorization at a time per OS user.  Deauthorization does not increase your activation count, and switching back and forth will lose you access to all of your content.

You have a couple of bad choices here:

1.) You could create a new AdobeID (call it a2@example.com for now) and authorize computer A with it.  You could then create seperate OS user accounts on both computers and authorize ADE on them the appropriate AdobeID (ie new user on computer A would be authorized with a@example.com, and the new user on computer B would be authorized with a2@example.com).  You could then switch between the OS users to view your content.

2.) Pick a DRM account to abandon, and ask the book sellers if you can get new download links for the content associated with that account, and then use the new account to redownload them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Jim. I ended up getting in touch with the book seller, and thankfully they were very good about getting me "fresh" copies of the book which I then put into my authorized account.

Your other solution with the user accounts also seems like a good idea. I hadn't even thought of that.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really too stupid.

Deauthorization does not increase your activation count, and switching  back and forth will lose you access to all of your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the .acsm file - save it and you should be able to drag it over to the 'authorized' version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no it doesn't work. does it work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i had a low battery in addition to too many activatons error message.  Once my

battery was charged and the activation was reset I could drag my acsm files into the ADE without a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

your problem is different from mine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines