Expand my Community achievements bar.

Setting defaultPDFRenderFormat in Call to RenderPDFForm

Former Community Member

I have an XML form I'm submitting to RenderPDFForm.  In the form XML, I have set the following processing instruction:

<?formServer defaultPDFRenderFormat acrobat9.0static?>

If I open the PDF returned from my call to RenderPDFForm in LiveCycle Designer, it's changed to

<?formServer defaultPDFRenderFormat acrobat8.0static?>

I'm depending on some feataures of Acrobat 9 that will not work with Acrobat 8.  When the returned form is opened, the following message appears:

Invalid version: The current version of the XFA template model exceeds the capability of Acrobat / Adobe Reader 8.

PDF generated successfully.

Form version is higher than target version. This form may not run properly on target.

How do I change my call or my server configuration to generate output that targets Acrobat 9 and will generate the processing instruction as acrobat9.0static?

Thanks,

Tom

8 Replies

Former Community Member

The xdp template carries the target version. This is set in the Form Properties/Defaults tab.

Paul

Former Community Member

My use of the API might be a little different in that I'm not using a template that's stored on the server, I'm passing in the template as my form data and getting a rendered PDF back.  In the template I'm sending, the version is set to 9.0.  Is there some default somewhere that the server is using?  Is it possible that my version of Forms Server does not support rendering to 9.0?

Tom

Former Community Member

That is possible .....what version of Form Server do you have?

Paul

Former Community Member

Guess I could have included that when I asked the question . . .

We're running LiveCycle Forms ES 8.2.1.

When I'm creating the PDFFormRenderSpec object that I pass in, I can set the acrobatVersion to 9, but it does not appear to be honoring it.

PDFFormRenderSpec renderSpec = new PDFFormRenderSpec();
renderSpec.acrobatVersion = AcrobatVersion.Acrobat_9;

Tom

Former Community Member

Well that version does support version 9 ......I suggest that you try to render your template using the service provided in workbench (just as a test) then we can see if it is a product issue or something wrong in your code.

There is also a sample app provided (called FormsIVS) that will allow you to set all of your settings in the Render spec through a UI and see what the outcome is. You can use that as a test as well.

Paul

Former Community Member

I don't have the Workbench currently.  Did a quick look to see if there was a download of the older version available but didn't find anything.

I did test with FormsIVS, setting all the render option in the app the same as what I have in code and it still it's coming back as acrobat8.0static.

Here's my render spec setting from FormsIVS:

AcrobatVersion=acrobat9.0&TaggedPDF=1&RenderAtClient=false&XCIURI=file://d:/Adobe/LiveCycle8.2/wkfs.xci

Is there anything in my custom xci file I should look at?  I've been through it a couple times, but when I've changed things that look relevant I haven't seen any difference.

Tom

Former Community Member

Why are you using a custom xci file? Can you send me your template and I will try it here.

LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul

Former Community Member

The custom xci file is to allow us to always embed fonts.  See the following forum thread . . .

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/342082

I'll send you a sample.

Tom