Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking Text entry boxes

Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri mentioned that you can link text entry boxes using Variable Associated on the Advanced tab.  I have tried this and I can't seem to get it to work.

I am using Captivate 4.

I have a text entry box where the learn enters the name of a document (this has the valiable user input turened off) then I have put in a transparent caption box and put in the variable to link it to the text entry box but when I publish the course nothing is showing in caption boxes.

Have a missed a step??

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry if I caused some confusion. I'll try to explain briefly (have to teach in 5 minutes) but would also like to point you to a fine tutorial at your fingertips: go into the Help of CP4, to the chapter 'Advanced actions and variables', you'll find a tutorial that is just what you want.

Steps to follow:

1. Create a user variable, p.e. v_name  (menu Project, Advanced actions, tab Variables)
  2. Make your Text Entry Box, go into the Properties, Advanced and associate the entry with your user variable v_name
  3. Whenever you want to use this variable in a Text Caption: type the text you want (p.e. "Welcome " but without the ") and click on the X with a down pointing arrow in the toolbar which allows you to insert the user variable v_name. It will appear as $$v_name$$.
  4. When previewing or after publishing, you will see the content of the variable in the Text Caption

Hope this explanation makes sense. It is a nice new feature, next you can have a trial at the Advanced Actions

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

I want the value of teh variable to be whatever the learner puts in - is this possible?

I have followed your instructions and set up a variable, then set up a text entry box and linked that to the variable and then on slide to I set up a text caption box linked to the varable - but nothing shows in the text caption box??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you please insert a screen grab of the Timeline for the Caption that isn't showing the variable? Perhaps you have something preventing the Caption from appearing.

Normally the process is pretty straightforward.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cap image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Although the timing is rather short (looks like perhaps three seconds or so) things should work assuming you have the Text Entry Box configured on Slide 1.

If this is a project you are willing to share, I'd be happy to take a look at it on my end and see if I can determine where you may be going wrong. I would need to see the .CP file first hand in order to look at the project.

rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com

If you can't share that way, perhaps consider recording a Jing video and showing where the process is breaking down.

http://www.jingproject.com

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a "test" project I have created to try and work this out - hence the short timing etc.

Is there away for me to insert the .cp file???  Being very blond this morning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No way presently to attach the .CP file as the forums disabled attachments a while back. That's why I included my E-Mail address. I figured you could send it to me via E-Mail.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In addition to Rick's question: be sure to make the Text Caption have a size sufficient to show all input from the TEB.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

Rick has had a look at the file and it seems to be something on my PC that is not allowing this to work!!

Am going to do some further investigation - but it worked fine for Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending me the information. Hoping it get fixed quickly

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick - you solved my problem in a different post http://forums.adobe.com/message/2715736#2715736

Everything works the way it meant to!

THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources