Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3 release date

Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well are we getting close to the actual release date.

Anyone heard anything

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

::bump::

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, anyone who really knows is obligated NOT to disclose that information.  If you follow the forums on a regular basis, and are aware of news releases, you will know as soon as anyone else does. None of us know anymore.  Except, of course, for those who know but cannot say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2010 Mar 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess is right - anybody who definitively knows is likely under  nondisclosure obligation...

One anecdotal approach would be to  go based on release history.  Lightroom 1 and Lightroom 2 came about a  year and a half apart...  Also the releases of the first two versions of  Apple Aperture were similarly timed, and close to the windows when  Lightroom came out.  And now we have recent availability of Aperture 3 - so  if that is any indication, we might look for a launch of Lightroom 3  sometime later this year...  My guess is Adobe would want to stay in close version lockstep with Aperture.

And in such event, hopefully Adobe would keep the Lightroom version upgrade price at $99 or less, so that recent buyers could move from 2.x to 3.0 without too much additional outlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2010 Mar 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given how much I like the improvements they made just in the beta version, I sure hope we don't have to wait a whole lot longer.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how much more they've added in terms of social media uploading/sharing and the ability to create multiple output formats, 'cause having 1 program able to handle almost all of my output needs instead of 2-3 would be incredibly helpful to speed up workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2010 Mar 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply having the improvements associated with noise handling that I've seen when processing Leica M9 files would be enough for me.  Please Adobe - LR3 as soon as possible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you Chris and for the same reason. I look forward to upgrading. It is a nuisance to have two LR versions concurrently (2.6.1 & 3 beta). I imagine that the new edge detail function in noise reduction may be beneficial to the particular species of DNG that the M9 produces? I have no idea what's changed in the engine of course.

What is causing me consternation is where I need to switch back and forth amongst 2x LR versions and Camera Raw. File versions and catalogs get very muddled for me. Then you have the gotcha of opening an M9 file in ACR without thinking, followed by a crash. I know that the Adobe folks have said that fix is in progrees. I can stand to wait for LR3 but that particular glitch is hurting me. I would speculate that we won't see any more point upgrades past LR2.6 and ACR5.6 before the 3 series starts. Let's see what that means for upgrade prices too.

The big unknown for Leica M9, S2, X1 owners of course is whether we will be able to use our LR licence from Leica to get LR3, where we've already paid for LR before buying cameras with the new licence.

By the way I recently shot the S2 and X1 and was interested to see that the X1 already has an Adobe Standard profile. Still on the Embedded only with the S2. There will need to be S2 specific support, not just the native DNG functionality in the LR that S2 buyers receive a licence for. That may be an area for Leica Camera AG and their agreements with Adobe rather than anything just Adobe specific though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that new Aperture is out, hopefully Adobe will release soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know nothing official, but I'll make an educated guess.

Beta times out 30 April - 6 weeks - so something will happen before then (given that the wording was "The Lightroom 3 beta will expire after Lightroom 3.0 is available")

And Photoshop World is on next week, so I'm putting my money on an announcement then.

But I could be completely wrong ... I've been waiting expectantly every Tuesday since December for the announcement of the new MacBook Pro's - but these are yet to materialise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2010 Mar 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to follow up - just completed a full and fresh analysis on this question (details here if you're interested)...  Our best estimate on the release date for Lightroom version 3.0 is shipping in June.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does get frustrating... Adobe handles release dates and proposed program contents like they were the nation's nuclear strike "football". For those of us who are deeply into photography, want to use Adobe (or already do) , but are without unlimited funds it would be nice to be able to compare the new PS CS5 with LR 3.0. As CS5 is coming out in a week and all good "guesses" are that LR will be out in June or so it would seem reasonable that Adobe knows exactly what the capabilities of both programs are going to be. From reading about the Beta of LR (sans the full Developing Tools) the "word" is that it will be able to handle about 98% of the normal photographers needs for manipulation and enhancement and will be a greatly improved program.

Adobe's hope is, no doubt, that PS CS5 will be regarded by the consumer as a "must have" with all its new bells and whistles... and, without anything to go on as to the the final contents of LR3, or a release date, that the consumer may "leap" to PS CS5... only to find out in a few months or so that the new LR would have totally met his/her needs... There is also no doubt, from "tidbits of released information" that both programs are going to be vastly improved and will include some great new innovations... If CS5 is meant to "celebrate" Adobe's 20th anniversary it would have been nice to throw LR3 into the mix as well.

Hopefully, Adobe has listened to the users regarding suggestions for LR3 (Soft Proofing for one) and that the program will finally evolve to what it should be... a strictly photographic database and developing system... and leave PS (which, ironically, should really have another name) for the artists, graphics, 3-D, designers, and layout artists.

So what happens... for me I will wait until both programs are out and then decide if I want either of them... Will they probably be able to assist my buisniess needs and processing better than CS4 and LR2... yes, probably... would I like to have them both... yes, probably... I just don't care for the "planned" timing and "the customer can wait until we're ready to tell them" feeling I get from Adobe .

At some point I hope that Adobe will realize that "customer service" should receive as much attention as  "marketing". In the long run it would probably sell a lot more products.... Just my humble observation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you Bill, and although I don't know for sure, I don't think it was deliberate on Adobe's part...  I just think it was the crush of CS5.  After CS4 got released into the teeth of an economic maelstrom in 2008, Adobe probably wanted to marshal all available resources and bandwidth to help ensure CS5 was a smashing success...

For the last major product cycle, it was Lightroom 2 that got released just ahead of CS4, so there it happened to work out the other way around.

The good news here is we have two betas now for LR3 so a pretty good idea of what will be coming down the pike in (hopefully) another couple months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill in Anacortes wrote:

It does get frustrating... Adobe handles release dates and proposed program contents like they were the nation's nuclear strike "football".

Actually, that's not true...if you pay attention, Adobe generally telegraphs a lot of the timing of product releases and even product features in their public betas...if you want to see a company that operates in KGB like secrecy take a look at Apple.

The fact that YOUR product needs and the timing of Adobe product releases may not mesh isn't really Adobe's fault, is it? As pointed out, last time Lightroom 2 came out BEFORE Photoshop CS4. This time it'll be the other way around.

That's what happens when you have development cycles that are set by engineering and development times and not marketing and promotions...Adobe tries to do product releases every 18-24 months...that is the historical cycle and it's pretty darn consistent. You should plan your purchase timing based on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Actually, that's not true...if you pay attention, Adobe generally telegraphs a lot of the timing of product releases and even product features in their public betas..."

Jeff,

I do "pay attention" (typical  Adobe type Answer) and have noted that the Adobe site indicates that "some" but "not all" of the Develop tools are available in the Beta.... and "hints" at "future" content... Also noting that a lot of people are having problems with the Beta... All of which I am sure will be worked out.... and a great new product will be presented. To be sure, there is nothing about what LR3 will have, and won't have, in comparison to PS CS5.

"The fact that YOUR product needs and the timing of Adobe product releases may not mesh isn't really Adobe's fault, is it?"

Nice Jeff, maybe you'd better reread the text of the letter without the bias.

You also seem to overlook that I indicate I presently use both  PSCS4 and LightRoom (2.6). and love the programs... just not the attitude. Whatever the case, it was just a casual observation.... and a personal opinion... I believe we can still have those in today's world can't we?

We can agree on one thing... Apple.

The other response I got, from Pro Design Tools, was both more informative and one heck of a lot less defensive in nature.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that is common to PS CS and Lightroom is the raw processing engine so that once PS CS5 is released with ACR 6.x we will know what raw processing features will be present in LR 3.x. That is the core function of Lightroom the other features of Library, Web, Print, etc are incindental and not common to PS so I do not understand the concern.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill in Anacortes wrote:

We can agree on one thing... Apple.

So, we agree that your assessment that Adobe "handles release dates and proposed program contents like they were the nation's nuclear strike "football"." is not a really accurate characterization? Particularly when Adobe is compared to Apple?

Look, the dev schedules are capricious and entirely dependent certain factors outside the direct control of Adobe such as Apple forcing Cocoa down Adobe's throat because Apple decided to renege on a promise of a 64 bit version of Carbon (even after delivering an alpha that was working). That's what dictated CS5's dev cycle...Lightroom's dev cycle was based on entirely different issues that had nothing to do with Cocoa (Lightroom was Adobe's first app using Cocoa API's) and had more to do with major architectural changes taking a lot of time.

The point is, none of this was directed at you and you shouldn't try to personalize the circumstances...the stuff will be released when it's released and it might not be the best time for you...life sucks, get a dog!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

No, that is NOT what I said... Pointless to go on... You obviously don't have anything constructive to say... and your comments were personal. For Adobe's sake I sure hope you don't work for them. End Message... End Comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, yeah, whatever...don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion, right?

No, I don't work FOR Adobe, I sometimes work WITH Adobe which is one of the reasons I don't like people taking "pot shots" at the "big, bad Adobe" because the vast majority of people offering "comments" on what Adobe is or isn't doing simply don't have a cue...

Bill in Anacortes wrote:

End Message... End Comments

Promise?

:~)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Promise... By the way it's "clue" not cue... Nice to know Adobe has such an intelligent person defending them.

Bye now.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill in Anacortes wrote:

By the way it's "clue" not cue...

Oh, wow...that's an incredibly important insight...

Kudos to you for pointing that out...so, does that make you feel better?

You figure you got one over on me? Have fun...bud!!!

CS5 will be officially announced on Mon. April 12th...hope that helps you make your decisions...

:~)

Really, you'll want CS5 _AND_ Lightroom 3...really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Squabbling doesn't become a person with your abilities and high profile Jeff.

Stephen Power

Ireland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2010 Apr 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another clue that might point to a June release - Kelby Training Live has several tour dates for July for LR Live sessions but not before that.  I'm guessing they are timing those to coincide with the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How refreshing to read a post that progresses the subject in an articulate and intelligent manner. Devoid I might add of overbearing angst and distorted English. Big fish in small ponds, and even small fish in puddles, spring to mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now THAT'S a clue. Thank you kis-bear2.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2010 Apr 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro Design Tools... DdeGannes ... Kis-Bear 2 ...Rockshead

- Thank you all for your informative input. Your thoughts, combined with a lecture given at our camera club last night by a PS/LR instructor at one of our local colleges, has filled in some blanks.  Using both programs, as I do, in my photographic business, I have been a bit reluctant to use the Beta version of LR3 with the possible Catalog issues when the final version comes out. While I don't know where he obtained his information our guest too was of the opinion that LR3 would be appearing the middle to later part of June and would be replete with great new "goodies"

As we have seen on various Internet sites, the performance, "engine",  and new innovations in the new PS CS5 promise to be fantastic as well... Like most users that concentrate about 98% on photo work it will be interesting to see how many of these "gotta haves" make their way into LR3. Only time will tell. Don't forget the CS5 "Grand Internet Unveiling" at 8 AM PDT on Monday (April 12)... Adobe site has Registration for those interested.

True to the my actions of the past with PS, CS3, CS4,LR, LR2 I will probably end up upgrading to both new programs... Hopefully Adobe has listened to the vast amount of input over the past many months and will be including the ability for Soft Proofing  (for one) our content within LR... This one feature would save us all a good deal of time as, over the years, we have all developed our own preferences for specific papers/appearance.... No doubt, there will remain  processes that are, and will remain, CS5 specific but for about 90% of the cases (from what I have learned) LR will be able to handle whatever we throw at it.

Thanks again for the help... sorry for the slight excursion into the mundane... I guess Mr. Schewe (Jeff) was just being... well... Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines