• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QUESTION: Captivate closes while recording

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 4.  I am trying to record a training simulation of our web based application.  When I reach the point in our application where you have to browse to a file to upload it, Captivate 4 stops recording and prompts me to save the project,which would be okay if I was done, but I'm not.  Is there some type of setting I need to change.  I've seen other Captivate projects that contain this same type of action, so I can't understand why mine won't record this action.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Hi again

Yes, it's much better when Captivate allows you to record that way. Unfortunately, the sad fact is Captivate doesn't always get along well with other applications.

Sometimes you can work past this issue by establishing a remote desktop connection from the PC with Captivate, then "driving" the application Captivate doesn't like using Remote Control. Because Captivate and the other application aren't actually in the same memory space, Captivate will typically record successfully.

You might

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sure sounds like Captivate doesn't like something about what is happening, eh?

So here's a thought. You have captured all you need up to that point, no? I suppose I might then try adjusting Captivate so it's in Manual recording mode. This is similar to driving a stick shift. Try launching the recording process and at that point Captivate should produce the first screen capture but that's it. Assuming it doesn't close on you, proceed very slowly. It will be up to you to press the Print Screen key to force a screen capture for each screen change. Hopefully that will allow you to continue and grab the remaining screens.

If for some reason that doesn't work, the only other option to try would be a Full Motion Recording (FMR) and record that specific segment using FMR.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the info.  I can get it to work using FMR,  but I'd really like to have it in auto record.  I tried the manual thing but as soon as I clicked browse to select the file, it stopped recording and prompted to me to save.  I just don't understand why I can't do it when I've seen it done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Yes, it's much better when Captivate allows you to record that way. Unfortunately, the sad fact is Captivate doesn't always get along well with other applications.

Sometimes you can work past this issue by establishing a remote desktop connection from the PC with Captivate, then "driving" the application Captivate doesn't like using Remote Control. Because Captivate and the other application aren't actually in the same memory space, Captivate will typically record successfully.

You might also submit a bug report to Adobe on this. (Link is in my sig) Please advise as to the application you are attempting to record.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remoting and recording did enable me to avoid the error I was encountering.  Thanks so much for your help.  I was attempting to record a training simulation of CM/ECF (Case Management/Electronic Case Filing), which is the US Courts' electronic filing system.  This system is accessed via a web browser. I was using IE 8 on Windows XP SP3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources