Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with large files (~1MB)

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I am trying to import large topic (~ 1 MB HTML file, it was created with another software) - RoboHelp freezes and I am forced to restart it. It freezes either I am using File -> Import menu option, or even when I did copy/paste of HTML code to the new topic and hit "Save" button.

Is there any way to work with large files? Tried to search forum, but with no result. It would be really appreciated if you point me to the right direction.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. 1MB isn't large, it's huge...

You can try this: (Back-up first) Create a new topic in RoboHelp and save it. Make sure this has the same name as the file you want to import. Close the file and paste the 1MB file over the newly created topic using Explorer. Now try opening the file with Robo.

You may also ask yourself whether all the information needs to be in a single file. If you make any form of online help such as WebHelp, 1MB for a topic is probably too much. Users will have to download the entire file, even if they only need a small portion of the information from the file.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried that before, but also with no result - in that case RoboHelp hanged on a stage of opening project...

I also agree that the file is huge, but have nothing to do with that, it's a documentation of XML file structure and it quite complex, so it's a reason of that huge size.

So does it mean that I have no choice and the best solution is to split this huge file into several smaller parts? Then I have another question: what is the recommended maximum file size for RoboHelp, so that I can avoid such issues in a future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have no idea about the maximum file size.

There may be another method: You can add the file as a baggage file to the project. Then create a redirect topic that opens the file. This way you should be able to fool RH. Create a redirect topic by adding a javascript or a meta refresh tag.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we certain size is the problem?

Have you tried splitting the topic into smaller chunks to see if you can import them all except one? That might identify something the import does not like other than the size.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Grainge wrote:

Are we certain size is the problem?

Have you tried splitting the topic into smaller chunks to see if you can import them all except one? That might identify something the import does not like other than the size.

The file I tried to import was generated by another software (Oxygen XML editor, I used it's "Schema Documentation" feature), so the first thing I assumed is that the format of that output cannot be parsed by RoboHelp. So I just tried to create another output, with smaller size, and had no problems with that - smaller file of the same structure was imported successfully. That's why I assumed that the core of my issue is the file size.

I also checked how my processor was loaded during importing of the file (basically when RoboHelp is hanged on) - on my primary computer it was just ~25%. I tried that on another machine and it took 100% loading... Not sure if this info is helpful, so it's here just for information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

W. van Weelden wrote:

There may be another method: You can add the file as a baggage file to the project.

Thank you for this advice. I tried adding this large HTML file to baggage files and RoboHelp hanged on a stage "Updating files" while generating .chm file... So no luck here too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp