Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing header and footer in massive projects

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am working with RH8 but i have to work on the project which is created in RH5.0.2.It contain total of 249 project and one project in which all the projects are merged.Worst part is that in the project, master page is only used in the parent project.

My problem is:

1. I have to update headers and footers,do i need to update in all the 249 projects separately and then merge in the final (parent) project or there is any other way out?
  2. If i make changes in any of the project,do i need to remerge it again? what should i care about while doing this?
  3. Do we need to regenerate the all chm files again or the only file in which we do changes?
  4. Can anyone suggest a checklist to manage massive project in RH8.
  5. I tried to import master page from parent project to child project but content get duplicated.

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

In that case you'll have to change the footer in all the child projects, compile them, change the master page in the master project and recompile that. Provided you have your merged TOC setup correctly, all the changes that were made to your child projects will be automatically picked up in the master when you compile.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rahul and welcome to the RH community.

Can you give us a little more detail? Where are the headers and footers? Is it only the master project that needs updating? Is the master page only in the master project or in all projects?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Header is on the top of the page and footer contain copyright notice in

which i have to make changes which is at the bottom of the page.Master page

is only in the master project. in Master project all the 249 projects are

merged.

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but what I really need to know is exactly what needs to be changed. It definitely sounds like the footer needs changing but maybe the header doesn't. What I also don't know is whether the header and footer are part of the master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the effort and time you are giving me.I do some R&D main problem

is:

Yes,footer is the part of Master page of parent project.

Master page is applied only in Parent project not in merged (Child) project.

Now i have to change footer in all the projects including Master and child.

If i change in the parent project, will it be reflected in child project? or

i will have to go one by one in all the project>change footer and then

replace with the new updated project.

Or is there any other way out?

Br,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are confusing me a bit whe you say you want to "change footer in all the projects including Master and child". You also say that the footer is inside the master page which is only in the master project. If the footer that requires changing is only in the master project's master page, all you'd have to do is amend the footer in the master project's master page and recompile the master project. You won't have to touch the other child projects at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Footer is used in all the projects including child and parents

- Problem is master page is used only in parent project but footer is

used in all the pages of parent and child projects.

- I have to change the footer in the pages of parent and child projects.

I hope i cleared my problem.

To be more precised, how to change the footers in parent and merged project

If master page is not applied.

Br,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you'll have to change the footer in all the child projects, compile them, change the master page in the master project and recompile that. Provided you have your merged TOC setup correctly, all the changes that were made to your child projects will be automatically picked up in the master when you compile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!

My new problem is that, now i find that in the parent project the applied

style sheet is different from the child project. As stated earlier in the

child project master page is not applied but style sheet is there.

In this case should i change the style sheet of master page,change the style

sheet of parent project or change the style sheet of child project and then

apply master page?

Style sheet of parent project is standard, which i want to consistent

through out in my project.

Br,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a bit of a mess. For consistency you want to have your style sheet and arguably your master page applied across all of your projects. Personally I would identify the master page and style sheet you wantand associate these with each other (by adding the style sheet inside the master page). Then I'd import that master page into each and every project and apply it to the topics as required. By importing the master page, the associated style sheet is also imported.

Of course all of this should be taken with a large pinch of salt as it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. If we want all your topics to look alike, the above approach is the way to go. Trouble is, it is not clear from your posts that this is what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the child projects are used standalone, you only need the CSS applied in the parent project. If any child project will be used as a standalone project, then it will use whatever is applied in the child, but not otherwise.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly this is what i am trying to do,but when i apply master page in the

project,text gets repeted as shown below:

©ABC2009. All rights reserved. Any reproduction or unauthorized use of

this material is expressly prohibited by law. Violators will be prosecuted

to the maximum extent possible.

© ABC2010. All rights reserved. Any reproduction or unauthorized use of

this material is expressly prohibited by law. Violators will be prosecuted

to the maximum extent possible.

Changed footer appear in the desired style (Second paragraph) but the text

of the old footer remain (first paragraph).

How to fix it?

Thanks again for taking pain to help me.

Br,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is difficult to see what is happening without seeing your project. Could you take a copy of your project, delete all but one topic, zip it up and send it to me. You'll find my contact details here. I may not be able to respond straight away though but promise to look at it later today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am able to fix this problem.Now when i am trying to generate CHM from

Robohelp in couple of project fetal error is displayed from Microsoft HTML

complier.So how to fix this?

Br,Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2010 Apr 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If your CHM is failing a compile you will want to examine the output report to see what message is being posted. It may provide a clue. Assuming that fails for some reason, follow the steps below.

Perhaps the Single Source Layout is corrupt. To  rule that out, create a new Single Source Layout and try again. If that fails...

Odds are it's a single topic somewhere. The trick then becomes how to easily find the topic. So copy your project and delete half the topics. Compile. Does it work now? If so, the suspect topic is among the remaining half. Rinse and repeat as needed until you determine where the issue is.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Third option works for me.

I find the topic whose degine view is not open is creating problem.Kindly

find a attached image.

In few case Project gets complied but left out the the page which degin view

is not opening.I noticed if a project is big and 4-5 page is not opening

then in that project HTML compiler show fatel; error.

What to do in this case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp