27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2015 5:37 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Missing burners

nealeh Community Member

Over the years there have been many many instances of Premiere Elements not detecting attached DVD / CD burners. I know this because it has now happened to me twice - so I've been researching. I found one instance of the problem being reported from the days of Elements 2 and many more from more recent releases.

It's easily (but irritatingly) fixable by one or both of:

1. Delete upper/lower filter values for the drives from the registry (Microsoft / Adobe solution)
      2. Uninstalling PRE, cleaning the registry, Reinstalling PRE (alternate Adobe solution).

The irritation is the time factor involved (1 needs a reboot, 2 takes time).

I don't need them visible for my workflow as I burn to folder and use DVD Shrink or ImgBurn to write the media (Windows recognises the burners). It could become a bigger issue if I start burning Blu-Ray. It's just plain annoying

My question is to ask if anyone has ever found the exact reason why it happens and if there is a more easily and reliable method to fix it.

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: Missing burners
          John T Smith MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/398769?tstart=0

Plus http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

• 2. Re: Missing burners
            the_wine_snob Community Member

Neale,

This ARTICLE will give you some background on some of the reasons that Adobe cannot find your burners.

The reason that these situations will "hide" the burners is that Adobe queries the OS, and not the hardware, and that Adobe programs want 100% control of the burners. Other burning apps., like ImgBurn, query at the hardware level, and will ignore what the OS is reporting.

When another program seizes control of the burner at bootup, well before one launches the Adobe program, the OS is informed that the burner is not what the hardware says it is. In the case of the various packet-writing modules, like InCD, or DLA, or even Windows Burning app., the OS is told that the burner is "really" a HDD. In the case of that Windows Burning app., another program, like Quicken, has invoked it, and told the OS that the burner is only a CD burner, and to treat it like a HDD, to allow for direct data writing for Backup to Disk.

Other things can also mess up with the burner, such as outdated firmware in the burner, but this is usually flagged with an error message, just as the physical burn commences, such as "Device Not Ready," or similar.

Now, things might be different, if the Adobe programs queried at the hardware level. So far, that has not been written into the programs. This is probably because every Adobe program, that allows burning, is based on the Sonic Authorcore modules, licensed from Sonic. The Adobe programs accesses those through an abstraction layer, as they do more than just burn - they also do authoring. ImgBurn does JUST burning, and no authoring. There is a difference.

Hope that this helps and explains some of the "why."

Hunt

• 3. Re: Missing burners
              John T Smith MVP

For Encore, tell it to create an ISO on the hard drive instead of going direct to the burner

For PreElements, tell it to create the DVD folder on the hard drive

Then, use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/ to do the actual writing

Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brand discs, and set Imgburn to the slowest possible burn speed to have the best chance of a good burn that will have the widest player compatibility

I use Encore to ISO to disc via Imgburn, and have never had a bad disc that would not play

• 4. Re: Missing burners
                nealeh Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks but none relevant to my circumstances (other than the two fixes I described in my original post).

Ah well, it was a long shot. If I ever decide to reinstall PRE I'll run Sysinternals process explorer to identify the exact system changes the installation program makes.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Missing burners
                  endfates

I recently had this problem myself and got it resolved by installing more video codecs.  Its strange that the program did not have all the codecs needed to work.  Codecs are basically language/translation info for various media types.  This did the trick, not the 10+ other ideas that people had that did not work for me.  Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Missing burners
                    A.T. Romano Community Member

endfates

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

With what type of burner are you working where you had this burner not recognized issue - Blu-ray/DVD/CD or just DVD/CD?

What specific video codecs did you find it necessary to install beyond what was provided for by the program, QuickTime, Windows Media Player,

and the usual assortment of players?

Besides "burner not recognized", did you have any "media not present" issues as well?

This information would be important since there is a 4 year gap between since the last entry in this thread (2010) and your post in this thread

tonight (2014).

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Missing burners
                      endfates Community Member

To answer your questions ATR.

I am using Premiere Elements 10 on a Windows 8.1 system.  Windows has been able to recognize the DVD burner ever since I got it, however, Premiere had trouble with this.  On an unrelated issue while trying to convert some videos - it was realized that the additional video codecs I downloaded addressed Premiere's issue of not finding a DVD burner despite having tried to do all the steps found on these forums.

I have both a DVD Burner and Blu-Ray burner.  I have to reconnect the Blu-Ray buner to see if it works, and expect it to do so after realizing the codecs was the missing answer.

I used at least 2 codecs - VLC and DirectShow.  DirectShow was mentioned in one of Premiere's explainations or elsewhere and it hinted that additional codecs may have been needed.  These codecs were used in addition to the conversion software i used.

As for your other question - windows device manager and elsewhere in the system reported no issues.  All were present and accounted for.  I even removed the DVD drive from windows manager as that was one of the solutions I found - didn't work for me.

I do realize that this is a 4 year old thread, but figured that the missing codecs may help fix the problem as I read several posts with no success reported.  Most problems were addressed to versions before or after what I had (10.0) so it seemed relevant as we all were trying to find a solution not a work around. 

• 8. Re: Missing burners

endfates

Thanks for the follow up with very important additional details of your particular situation and the solution that you found for it.

The no burner recognized and no media present situations are frustrating for the Premiere Elements burn to users.

In view of its significance to all, we will continue to look for reports of solutions for this matter and keep in mind your contribution

to determine if it works for others as it has for you.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Missing burners
                          Musicears

First time I have ever encountered this and trying to get support from Adobe is like shooting yourself and trying to close the flesh wound.  TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SUPPORT!!!

• 10. Re: Missing burners

musicears

You know that this is not Adobe here, rather user to user? Nonetheless, I will go the extra mile to try to find a resolution if there is one.

What is happening?

Is this a "it worked before but not know" or "it never worked before" issue?

DVD/CD burner or Blu-ray DVD Burner (internal or external)?

What version of Premiere Elements on what computer operating system is not recognizing your burner?

Is it not being recognized for DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray? Can you still burn to folder in spite of this burn to disc issue?

If this is a "it worked before but not now" situation, any new programs installed - iTunes, other?

I have never found the endfates solution reported in this thread confirmed by another. Did you try it and did it have any impact

on your situation?

Depending on your overall details, there may be hope.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Missing burners
                              Musicears Community Member

My apologies, just so frustrated with Adobe right now.  I upgraded to Premiere 13.  First time I went to burn a DVD and it says it cannot locate a burner.  I have have many versions and never encountered this before.  I have windows 8.1.  I tried exporting out to a folder and burning the DVD, the DVD burned fine but only will play on computers.

• 12. Re: Missing burners

Musicears

I am hoping that we can find a way to get Premiere Elements 13 to recognize your burner. But in a time crunch, you can use the burn to folder to generate a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that will playback on computer and your TV's DVD player. You do this taking the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder in burn to folder to ImgBurn.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

1. Does the problem exist with or without a check mark next to the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference. See Edit Menu/Preferrences/General.

2. You say ...."burning the DVD"...what did you do for the burn to folder....in Publish+Share/Disc/ what did you select DVD or AVCHD? You should have 3 choices in Publish+Share/Disc - DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray? Please confirm which one of those choices ends up with the burner not beginning recognized?

I will comment further in the morning.

Thanks for the follow up. Do not give up.

ATR

• 13. Re: Missing burners

I select Publish+Share/Disc and DVD.  Yes I see those choices.  It's the DVD that does not show the burner.

• 14. Re: Missing burners

I select Publish+Share/Disc and DVD.  Yes I see those choices.  It's the DVD that does not show the burner.

• 15. Re: Missing burners

Musicears

Thanks for the reply.

Have you had any success with the burn to folder and using ImgBurn to take the VIDEO_TS Folder from the save folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

I am still looking at that as a temporary means, and hope we can identify a factor to get Premiere Elements to recognize your burner.

ATR

• 16. Re: Missing burners
                                        zareha40792799

You are correct -- there is no support for this produce with Adobe except to wade through the forums and hope you find an answer. So far, I haven't found anything that actually works to get Premiere to recognize the either my internal DVD burner or my external Blu-ray burner. The software worked fine for about two years, and all of sudden stopped recognizing both burners for no apparent reason. To say it's been frustrating is an understatement.

• 17. Re: Missing burners

zareha

I assume you have, but I will ask anyway - just in case. Have you done the typical program uninstall, ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), and reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? If your version offers an update, such as for 12 or 13, have you updated the version?

Have you been successful with the forced workaround of burn to folder? Are your burn problems confined to burner recognition? Are you getting any Media Not Present issues in the Status field?

Are you working with a DVD burner or a Blu-ray DVD burner?

ATR

• 18. Re: Missing burners
                                            zareha40792799 Community Member

Hi. You'll probably think I'm nuts, but I've seen your name appear so often as I was looking into the solution to this problem, that I actually felt a thrill when I saw that you'd responded to my posting! Kind of like getting a message from a celebrity.

OK, so I've typed this up to so many different people, that I'll try to just get to the point here.

I have PE 10, and I have to admit that I'm not convinced an upgrade will solve the problem, so I'm not ready to shell out $80 at this point for the upgrade -- though I was tempted to.

The only thing that I didn't do that I see suggested was clean the registry. I did some reading about it and taking that step scared the heck out of me -- lots of warnings that touching the registry could kill the whole laptop. I did uninstall and re-install PE, but without the registry cleaning step. Can you recommend a safe way of cleaning the registry? I'm willing to uninstall PE again, clean the registry, then reinstall it. It's about the only thing left that I haven't tried.

I cannot find a way to burn to folder for Blu-ray (HD) quality though I did create AVCHD files that I burned to my hard drive. I have no way to transfer them to a Blu-ray disc, though. I also have DVD (SD) quality copies of the files burned to my hard drive.

I've tried the step at the top of this posting: Delete upper/lower filter values for the drives from the registry, but they were already deleted.

I've cleaned the lens on my Blu-ray burner, even though they didn't look dirty.

I have tried all of the USB ports. The burner uses a 2.0 USB port and is powered by the port, and I tried both the 2.0 and 3.0 ports on my laptop, just for fun. I tried different cables, though I think the cable that came with the burner is the best as it seems thicker than other USB cables -- probably for all the data and power that needs to be conducted through it.

My set up has worked beautifully for two years, then suddenly changed for no apparent reason.

To answer your other questions:

The problem is with both the internal DVD burner and an external Samsung SE506-BB Blu-ray writer. Both worked fine for two years. Now:

- For the DVD burner, in PE I get a message stating that no drives are detected, and the drop-down menu appears blank. See screenshot attached. I can use other software to read DVDs, burn them, and copy them (my own DVDs I've created -- I'm not trying to do anything illegal here). The "Rescan" button in PE doesn't do anything when I click it.

- For the Blu-ray writer, things are worse. No software, including Windows Explorer, recognizes it as a BD burner, nor are pre-burned BDs recognized. HOWEVER, DVDs are recognized by other software. For example, I used Cyberlink software to copy a DVD in the internal DVD drive onto a blank DVD+R disc in the external BD drive and it worked fine. Windows Explorer (I'm running Windows 7) sees the BD disc drive when it's plugged in, but does not recognize blank media when I put in a BD-R disc, nor does it recognize a movie Blu-ray disc if I try to play one.

Premiere shows the Blu-ray burner on the list, but I get a message stating that there is no media present when there is.

I had been burning great HD movies on my BD burner until two weeks ago.

I contacted the manufacturer of the external BD burner, asking if I needed an updated driver or firmware, and they said no, it should just work like a plug and play flash drive.

I contacted Microsoft and asked if they could help -- maybe some automatic update to Windows messed up the pre-installed drivers, but they couldn't figure it out and then tried to sell me a $149 service contract just to try to continue investigating with no guarantee that they'd find a solution.

And Adobe only sent me to the forums with no opportunity to contact them directly.

Also, if the problem were merely with the external burner, that wouldn't explain what PE doesn't see my internal DVD burner as well, while that works fine with other software and the OS. I've promised Blu-ray discs to a dozen people (I was the official, albeit non-paying, videographer of my son's play) and I can't deliver.

I'm at my wits end here.

If you can get my BD Writer and DVD burner going again, I'd be eternally grateful!

DVD-PE_Dialog_Box.jpg

BD-PE_Dialog_Box.jpg

• 19. Re: Missing burners

zareha

I am just a regular user of the programs with an overactive troubleshooting gene.

I would recommend that you go through the uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts of the free ccleaner), reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. You do not have to do anything actually to the registry yourself, the ccleaner does that job

if you select the registry part once it is finished with the regular part. But, definitely click yes when it asks permission to back up

the registry. The backup file can be saved to documents and deleted later if you do not need it. I have not needed it in all the time I have been using the ccleaner. I have been using it for several years for computer maintenance when necessary without any horror stories. There is no guarantee that this will be the answer but it worthwhile including toward the top of the troubleshooting list for this type of issue.

The Adobe document regarding registry fix for the DVD burner recognition is another matter. There you will be working in the registry.

Are the problems always with both burners enabled? I suspect you have, but I will ask anyway - just in case. Have you looked at the impact of a one burner system - for the external, just unplugging; for the internal disabling the driver in Device Manager.

These no burner and media not present issues are probably the worse to fall into. Most go unresolved. But, some resolve. Keep the thought that is will be one of them that resolves.

Let us see what the above turns up. Right now the burn to folder is your way out for DVD-VIDEO. Blu-ray is another matter. And, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 ISO Image is flawed; so do not focus on a more current version giving you a workaround. On the other hand, for troubleshooting purposes only, you might want to download and install Premiere Elements 13 tryout to determine what the burner situation is for it in your computer environment.

Although it is not 100% approach, go the tryout route before any purpose of the software.

I will revisit the thread sometime tomorrow, and we can consider what is a possible next.

ATR

• 20. Re: Missing burners

Where does one get this cleaner?

Paul

• 21. Re: Missing burners

Paul

free ccleaner Windows

CCleaner - Download

free ccleaner Mac

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?mac

ATR

• 22. Re: Missing burners

Thanks for the download.  I tried it no avail.

• 23. Re: Missing burners

I uninstall premiere, ran the cleaner and reinstalled and it works as it should now.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

• 24. Re: Missing burners

Musicears

Magnificent news and great job with the particular frustrating issues of no burner recognition and no media present message.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 25. Re: Missing burners

Thanks for all the tips! I will try the registry cleaner later today. I'm glad to hear that it worked for someone else.

The other questions may be moot, but to answer them, yes, I forgot to mention in my earlier comment that one of the troubleshooting steps I took was to uninstall the devices -- both DVD drives, internal and external -- then reboot my computer to have them automatically reinstall. I did this using different configurations of having the external drive plugged in and not plugged in. It worked as far as getting my internal drive to work properly with other programs, and my external drive to work as a DVD burner for other software, but neither work in PE, and the BD writer never worked as BD Writer for other programs, only as a DVD burner.

Thanks, again!

• 26. Re: Missing burners

I just spent the last two and a half hours working on this. I have mixed results. After running CCLeaner and uninstalling / reinstalling PE10, it now sees the internal DVD burner has a blank disc in it. HOWEVER, it still does not recognize that my external Blu-ray writer has a blank BD-R disc in it. Neither does Windows Explorer.

I am really disappointed. I had hoped this last trick would work. When I ran CCleaner, I took a chance and just let it delete everything it recommended and change all of the Registry items it listed. It took quite a while for my computer to reboot, and I was getting nervous that I'd killed it, but eventually, it did come back on.

Any other tricks to getting my computer to see my BD burner? As I mentioned, I've already contacted the BD burner manufacturer and they said that it should just work when I plug it in.

Thanks for the tips!

• 27. Re: Missing burners

zareha

Thanks for the follow up with the good and not so good news.

As for the Blu-ray burner, that is more than Premiere Elements if the burner is not recognized by Windows Explorer.

Do you have iTunes installed on your computer that has Premiere Elements installed? If so, look at the issue with and without iTunes installed. Please refer to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Burner Location: No Burners Found

If iTunes is not involved, consider other burner using software on the computer as potential conflicting factors in this.

Thanks.

ATR