• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative paths to external links?

Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm using RH 7 HTML. The server hosting my webhelp was just changed and I need to edit all external links; they all currently lead to dead-ends. A developer suggested using relative paths to ensure I wouldn't have to modify every url should the hosting server change again. Although it is a good idea, I'm not sure it is possible, since the links lead to a different project. Is this a realistic solution?

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

All you have to do is work out (actually up and down) from the file you're in, not the full path..

For example, linking from helpproject/html/howto/en/10000.htm to helpproject/html/hlp/en/1000.htm means you only have to work within the folder structure I marked in bold.

1. Go up one folder to "hlp/" and up another folder to "html/" (up two folders)
  2. Once you have arrived to "html/ you go down to hlp/en/1000.htm

Therefore, your relative link is: <a href="../../hlp/en/1000.htm">MyLink</a>

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are these external project links located on the same server? If so, you could use a relative link. Provided neither of the project's output moves from that server the links would work.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All projects and outputs are indeed located on the same server; I will try inserting relative links and let you know the outcome.

Thank you for your help

Nathalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried inserting relative links but it is not working; I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong.

My absolute link is similar to www.help.ca/helpproject/html/howto/en/10000.htm; I want to link to www.help.ca/helpproject/html/hlp/en/1000.htm. I'm guessing (I am still new at this) that my root directory is helpproject since it is the first level after the server name. I changed the target link to ../../../../1000.htm. When I try to view the result, I get an error message saying the browser cannot access file:///C:/1000.htm. Then RH displays the Server Busy popup window and I get stuck in a loop clicking either Switch To or Retry, even though the Internet Explorer browser is open.

Back in RH, in the HTML tab, the link still is  ../../../../1000.htm. I even tried pasting a \ instead of a / (as it appears so for image links in RH7) but still no success.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you have to do is work out (actually up and down) from the file you're in, not the full path..

For example, linking from helpproject/html/howto/en/10000.htm to helpproject/html/hlp/en/1000.htm means you only have to work within the folder structure I marked in bold.

1. Go up one folder to "hlp/" and up another folder to "html/" (up two folders)
  2. Once you have arrived to "html/ you go down to hlp/en/1000.htm

Therefore, your relative link is: <a href="../../hlp/en/1000.htm">MyLink</a>

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me! I finally succeeded in switching my absolutes to relative links. Having the logic in establishing the appropriate link helped with some more difficult ones (I did mention I'm still a newbie, right?).

Thank you so very much

Nathalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp