11 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 11:55 AM by Pcenginefx

Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now that I've changed my mind, and decided to get ready to someday buy an HD camcorder, I'm looking at the various brands of nVidia GTX 285 cards to use with CS5... with prices ranging from $370 to $450

The top brands seem to be EVGA $390-$430 and BFG $370-$400 and XFX $390-$450 and GIGABYTE $370 @Newegg

Is one of these brands better than the others?

Note that I do NOT believe in over-clocking, so I am ONLY going to consider a brand + model that uses the standard clock speed as specified on the nVidia web site

• 1. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

There are many more A-brands, like Asus, PNG, Sapphire etc. I don't think it matters much, all are good, because they all have to adhere to engineering specs, dictated by nVidia. EVGA has some overclocked models that I personally find interesting, but since that does not matter for you, all of these brands are good. Just check end-user reviews on Newegg for instance to see what recent buyers think about the card.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?

>Asus, PNG, Sapphire

As far as I can tell (even visited their page) Sapphire only makes ATI cards, no nVidia models at all

I also can't find any PNG nVidia cards (but did not visit their home page, whatever it may be)

Asus does, or did, 'cause the places I found said "out of stock"

So... I'm still reading reviews

I'm not going to build until after I have CS5 in hand, and for me that will be June or July, so plenty of time to search

• 3. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, typo from my side: Read PNY instead of PNG. And Sapphire is indeed only ATI, my mistake. Club3D and Gainward are other nVidia brands with a good reputation.

• 4. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

brand is unimportant to a point

look at GHz and memory speeds some sell factory OCed

also warranty. some have lifetime, if i recall BFG, XFX and EVGA?

i prefer Zotac as they tend to be faster for less.

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?

PNY looks OK, but a review I found of the Gainward card said it's fan design was such that the air blowing across the card fins is going into the case, instead of outside the case, making the entire inside of the case warmer

Still reading, and will have a choice made by the time I'm ready to buy

• 6. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                    PaulieDC Level 2

The deal winner for me is EVGA's customer support, it's superb. One of their main tech gurus (fella named Jacob) is reachable directly via email when you have an issue, and their tutorial support is pretty unmatched. You can get tweets when new drivers are available (from Jacob) and they are very detailed in explaining all the changes. Lifetime warranties and trade-up programs are standard like other companies.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

the only drivers you should be using is directly from nVidia's website never the manufacturer!

• 8. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                        tclark513 Level 3

Has there been confirmation on what's more important on these 285's?

Memory, Core Clock, Effective Memory Clock???  These cards come with different specs even though they are all 285's.

• 9. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                          PaulieDC Level 2
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

the only drivers you should be using is directly from nVidia's website never the manufacturer!

When it comes to EVGA, I have to disagree.

• 10. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                            PaulieDC Level 2

TClark, the specs are close on all of them, it doesn't matter that much. You may have the Supeclocked edition, FTW edition (For the Win), etc, but really you're spending $50-$100 more for a 7% performance gain, and there's no guarantee that Premiere would benefit. I just bought the good ol' EVGA GeForce GTX285 from Amazon (arrived yesterday), model# 01G-P3-1180-AR, and I'm amazed how much faster this thing is than my 260 with Microsoft Flight Simulator X (OK, I do have one non-Adobe thing installed on my rig, that being Flight Sim, but all scenery and program files are on a separate drive.)  I was pulling 30FPS over WATER with all the water effects cranked up... it looked so real, I was amazed. This is actually a VERY good pre-test to the Adobe MPE, because Flight Sim is architectured a lot like the upcoming CS5 suite: yes, it needs good GPU power, but there is still a heavy reliance on CPU and RAM, and lots of it.

The new 400 series NVidia cards are looking to be amazing, btw. The "Fermi" GTX480 could probably launch space shuttles, but it's preordering at about $600 right now, and I'm runnin' out of dough, lol!

• 11. Re: Best brand of nVidia GTX 285 card?
                              Pcenginefx

Speaking of video cards, I just bought the Zotac version from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500095).  I was looking on ebay but most of the cards are used and buying from Newegg you get amazing customer service and this card was the lowest price.  Can't wait to see the MPE in action with this card!