• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing a PDF in Captivate (not a certificate)

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you all can help me.  I'm working on a CBT in Captivate 4 for a brief tutorial.  At the end of the course I need the employee you print out a PDF file that they sign and turn in to their manager.  The employees taking this course are not computer savvy at all so I want the PDF to print automatically or at the very least automatically bring up the print dialogue box like it does if you use the certificate widget.

I've figured out how to add a button that opens the PDF file, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to go straight to print.  The trick is that I'm only working in Captivate and don't have Flash.  Is this possible?

Cheers,

Jay

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 03, 2010 Apr 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are familiar with Acrobat javascript, you can embed a code in the document to print on load. Google "acrobat javascript print onload".  You may need to pay for some of them.

Cheers,

Seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2010 Apr 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use CP4, did you try the Print Widget?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2010 Apr 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SethXP.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar with JS, but I'm always up for learning.  I'

ll try the Google search and see what i can find.

Lilybiri - I am using CP4.  I tried but I could only get the print widget to print what was in my Captivate presentation.  I need it to print a seperate PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2010 Apr 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JayDeeGee,

I almost repent having made it sound really simple. There are so many variables, such as how different browsers handle such events, client side security settings, javascript being disabled etc. It's a convoluted process and it's not guaranteed to work. I feel your pain but then again, If your audience cannot print a pdf file, maybe, they shouldn't ( I know I'm being acidic) . However, believing that good design should not stop at such hinderances, I can probably offer this: if you have Acrobat Standard (or Pro) you can provide simple instructions from within your pdf so that your learners can manage to print it.

Seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources