• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search in RoboHelp 8

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I migrated a project from RoboHelp 5 to RoboHelp 8 and now the search is not working.  I don't know where to start to check.  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid we are going to need a bit more information than that to help you. Can you be more specific as to the exact problem with the search. Do you get results, but not what you'd expect? Do you get nothing? Also can you tell us the output type you are producing.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't look right now but wasn't this exact same question dealt with very recently. Try the new search boxes that Rick Stone added to make searching easier.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get no results/no returns back when I type in a word or words. Output type is webhelp.

The only thing we did was just open the original file in RH8 and republished using the same output type as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2010 Apr 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy and Vedado

Please open one of the supplied sample projects and generate an output from that. Same problem?

You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the Search problem when I generate the sample project. I think it is something to do with my project; I also found last week that when I created a fresh project, I did not have the Search issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try generating to a different folder and if that fails try creating a new layout.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, can you link to the post by Rick Stone? I searched for it with no luck.

I have a search problem of my own with RH 8 - generating WebHelp. I tried several suggestions from another thread:

- substring on/off

- change dictionary

- define keywords in index and search for a specific defined keyword

- generate new layout

- generate new layout in a different folder

- move all project files to a new location and generate to a new folder

- zip project and send to coworker (she has same issue on her machine)

- create new project with a couple topics of dummy text

The issue I have is this: When I generate the layout and test the Search function, it returns the first 12-15 words of the default first topic. Doesn't matter what the search term is - whether it's for a specific keyword or a commonly occuring term in the project.

It's a very small project (the Word version is 45 pages) and I haven't really departed much from the default settings in RH8. I'm sure there's a setting I'm overlooking but no idea what it could be.

Any ideas? Two-topic dummy project (with 0 formatting and no tweaks except to generate a smart index) attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Peter and I are co-moderators for the RoboHelp forums. I believe you may be thinking that Peter suggested I posted something that adds new search boxes to RoboHelp. Instead, he was referring to using the new search fields I added to the forums themselves as shown below:

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem -- search is broken in RH8, but only in Firefox. IE works fine. My desired output, and the output in which Search is broken, is FlashHelp. I have tried generating to multiple different outputs (FlashHelp Pro, WebHelp, WH Pro, HTMLHelp) and none work except WH Pro. I cannot use that output, though, as we need the Flash capabilities for other reasons.

I have tried generating to a different folder -- did not solve problem. I read the other posts on this subject, but none of them resolved my issue. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yankcap

Generated your project and the search works fine. I searched on second and module, both found the second topic.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Interesting. Thanks for testing it out. What are some common environmental factors that could be inhibiting the search?

So far three team members have tested it on their local machines as part of team review - it's not up on our QA server just yet. One reports that it works partially in IE6, but takes about 15 seconds and the results don't click through to anything. The others report that it doesn't work at all. Between us we have everything from XP and IE6, Vista with IE7, and Windows 7 with IE8 and Firefox. None of the browsers are throwing any errors or security messages.

I'm not that concerned for this individual project - we will just disable it and be ToC reliant. But I do need to figure this out for more robust projects down the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are other team members testing if the help is not on the server?

Is your project local and are you generating to a local folder?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I zipped the project folder (5 MB) and emailed it to them, this time. All they have to do is extract to copy the entire folder structure to their machines. It will go up in a QA environment later this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let us know how it goes.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, project is local and generating to a local folder. I have tried generating to different folders. Yes, other people have encountered the same problem w/ the output. Nobody else has RoboHelp (I am the sole writer), so no one else can test aside from testing the output; however, generating to a different machine has the same problem. I am wondering if the project is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the issue of search in RH8. In the footer of every topic we have the file name of the topic. With RH5 output our accuracy checkers used this to point users at the correct guidance to follow. The user could then put the file number in the search and a single topic would be returned in the search results.

In the output I have from RH8 it does not appear to search the contents of the footer so this specific search does not work. Is there a way I can get RH8 to search the footer?

I have tried turning the sub string search on and off when generating in case that made a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same setup: filename in the footer. Search does not work on that, either -- in Flash and in Firefox. Search on filename works fine in WebHelp output, or other browsers (e.g., IE).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting becuase my output where the search does not work is webhelp and the search fails to pick up the footer in both explorer and fire fox.

I'll try generating flash out put and see what happens there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, the search does not see the footer file name in either web help or flash help output.

Is there a setting somewhere to exclude the footer from the search? Or is it that this is functionality not in 8 that was in 5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp