Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit files in a RoboHelp HTML 8 Project without using RoboHelp

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I created a RoboHelp for HTML 8 project with Microsoft HTML being the primary output.

Now my client insists that they want to be able to edit the output without using RoboHelp for HTML.

I don't think that this is possible I open up one of the html files in a text editor, changed a word, then open up the compiled help file without regenerating it in RoboHelp. As expected, they topic in the compiled help file did not make the change to the html file that I edited in the text editor.

Is there a way my client can recompile the help without using RoboHelp for HTML 8 and be able to have the newly compiled help reflect any changes they make in the html file using a text editor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks Greg T.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

They can edit the output files directly. Also, they can change the source files outside RoboHelp and only use RH to create the new output. (Possibly only trough the command line.) This however means that they're stuck with the TOC and possibly index, unless they plan on changing all RH files directly.

If they want it to be easy, RoboHelp is the way to go.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously Willam's comments about editing the output do not apply to MS HTML Help. It is possible with RH Webhelp (and possibly Flashhelp and Airhelp Web output, but I'm not familiar with those formats), but not particularly nice.

As he states, the easiest way is to continue using RH to edit the source and recompiling as needed.

With the chm files, they could decompile the chm, then edit and recompile in the free Microsoft HTML Help Workshop application, but they would lose RH specific functionality like build and conditional tags (and possibly drop-down hotspots - or at least not be able to add them easily). Additionally, changes they made to these files would not be reflected in the RH source files either. (The HTML Help Workshop project could be imported as a new project into RH if required, but I'm not sure exactly how messy that would be.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, missed that. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To add my tuppence worth, clients should always be advised against editing compliled output whatever the form.

The assumption that you can edit compiled output may be sort of true in some cases, (for example web help and pdfs) but it's a dangerous assumption.

Hyperlinks as well as table of contents and indexes are created and managed in the source tool (for example robohelp). If you let people mess with the output you run the risk of being asked for major updates created by messing with the output, not the source tools as I have been in the past. Not good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And next time someone works on the project using RH, all those changes will not be in the source files. Cool!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did say it wasn't particularly nice, but some clients refuse to listen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Put your warning in writing as it will still be your fault when it goes wrong!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp