• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script error that prevents TOC from working

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More details in addition to the below, the script error below prevents the user from being able to use the TOC. Clicking to open topics does nothing. I know the referenced htm file in the error is related to the TOC, but my developer wasn't able to debug the code in IE7 -- only IE8 and found no issues.

---------------

I'm using RoboHelp 8 and a coworker has noted that when they attempt to access the webhelp in IE7, a javascript error displays (details below). This issue doesn't occur when viewing the help in IE8 or FF 3.5/3.6. The odd thing is, two other people using IE7 are able to load the help without any issues. This leads me to believe perhaps it's a security setting, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Error details:

Problems with this Web page might prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly. In the future, you can display this message by double-clicking the warning icon displayed in the status bar.

Line: 893

Char: 11

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

Code: 0

URL: http://helpfilelocation/whtdhtml.htm

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance talking about the yellow information bar?

You say it doesn't show this message on IE8 and FF. Is that tested one the same pc with the same user, or did you test that all on different pc's? You can download IE tester to test multiple IE versions on one pc.

Where are you trying to acces the webhelp from. Is it directly from a file system, such as C:\etc or trough a webserver?

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Willam.

Yellow information bar: no. See below. Double-clicking on the error in the bottom left of the help navigation pane displays the script error I had previously mentioned.

help_error.png

The help is accessed from a webserver. The tester only tested IE7 and FF on the problematic machine. The IE8 test was done on another computer. We did debug the code in IE8 and no issues were found.

Since the error referenced Line 893, and there is only one JS file mentioned in the whtdhtml.htm file that has 800+ lines, I'm assuming the problematic code is in the whthost.js file, but wasn't able to debug the code in IE7.

Also, this issue doesn't occur when accessing RH7 on a web server.

Since the error occurs on only this machine (so far), would you say this isn't a RoboHelp issue, but more likely an issue with IE7 not "liking" the JS code in this RH8-generated file? Do you think modifying security settings on this particular machine may fix it? I did try setting the security settings to default, and deleting temp files, but neither resolved the issue. Also, unchecking "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" just produced a different Run Time error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's a script error, so I'm not sure that settings can help. Can you use IE tester to check how IE8 works on your pc?

Also, add the site of your help to your trusted sites in IE7. Does that help?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your response, Willam. I'm hoping to find a workaround before the release date in a week, so I appreciate it!

I had the tester add the server where the help is to his Trusted Sites, which produced the same result.

I also had him use the IE Tester to access the help in IE8 on the problematic machine, which produced the following two errors (different than the IE7 errors):

Line: 185

Char: 7

Error: "null" is null or not an object

Line: 892

Char: 11

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

Location: http:/helpfilelocation/whthost.js (Note: this is the same file referenced in the IE7 error, but a different line)

A developer tried but couldn't debug the code in IE Tester. Is this our only option (i.e. debug to find the problematic code and then rewrite it)? This may be a silly question, but if there's a problem with the code, why would the error only occur on 1 machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Why would the error occur on one machine... That's what bothers me...

Try this: Clear the cache and history of IE. Try to reload the help.

Also, what happens if another user uses the problematic PC and views the help?

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for repsonding, Willam.

I had previously tried to completely clear the cache and access the help again on the problematic machine, which produced the same result. Also, I logged into the web application using my login information, and accessed the help with the same result. When you suggested to have another user access the help from the problematic machine, did you mean to log into the network under a different user, or simply access the application using different login information?

Since the error does only occur on this one machine so far (I've tested 5 others using IE7 and haven't been able to duplicate it), would it be a waste of time to use My DebugBar to debug the code (I don't know anything about this tool, so this might not make sense). I don't want to ask the tester to upgrade to IE8 simply to debug the code, and besides that, the fact that the error occurs on only one machine makes me think it's related to settings or files on his computer and not the code...

A similar script error occurred on another web site and the workaround was to use IE8 compatibility mode. Obviously I can't provide this workaround because the problem also exists in IE7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2010 Apr 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Since this problem only occurs on one machine, I find it hard to believe that debugging will help. If it's truly a script error, it should also be a problem on other pc's/browsers... For all I know, it could be that IE's jscript engine became corrupt on that one pc.

What I mean by a different user, is to login to the testers pc with a different user. Preferably a user who has never logged in to that pc before, so windows creates a fresh user profile. Then use that user to login to your application and view the help. If it works, it's something to do with the user's settings/profile. In this case, you can ask IT to delete/clear the user profile. Windows will make a new one and you should be all right.

If this doesn't work, it may be a problem of IE on that pc. If possible, you can ask IT to reimage/reinstall the culprit. This should then solve the problem.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam,

It looks like resetting IE7 on the problematic computer fixed the problem. Thanks for much for all your help and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is caused by chromeframe.

robohelp's browser detection script is at fault:

var gbChrome = (gAgent.indexOf('chrome')!=-1);

this gets set to true if the useragent contains "chromeframe", which it does in IE when chromeframe is installed.
it should be:
var gbChrome = (gAgent.indexOf('chrome')!=-1) && (gAgent.indexOf('chromeframe')==-1);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp