Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Autocomplete slow

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day

When one keys in a partial tag, one can press CTRL-SPACE to complete the tag, eg typing:

<cffuCTRL-SPACE

will complete the <cffunction> tag. Cool.

However it takes CFB about 1-1.5sec to actually react to this, during which time if one keeps typing, the tag is never completed.  And to be frank, I could have simply typed the rest of the tag name in less time than that.  So using this feature makes for very stilted development.

I would expect to be able to type this - at full speed without any pausing for CFB to work out what it needs to do:

<cffuCTRL-SPACEnCTRL-SPACEmyFunctionRIGHT-ARROW acCTRL-SPACE puCTRL-SPACE RIGHT-ARROWoCTRL-SPACEfaCTRL-SPACE RIGHT-ARROW hiCTRL-SPACEHere's my hint

and end up with:

<cffunction name="myFunction" access="public" output="false" hint="Here's my hint">

However I just get this:

<cffu n myFunction ac pu o fa hi Here's my hint

(or something like that, you get my drift).

Are other people finding this tag too?  I don't think my machine is under-spec'ed for the task here... it's quite happily running Open BlueDragon, CF9, MySQL (+ MySQL Manager and Query Browser), Tomcat, Apache, Firefox, Skype... [etc] simultaneously, and none of them seem to be slow.

Another thing related to this (kinda).  I have "automatically insert single proposals" (or whatever it is) switched on, which is quite handy.  However when I type in:

<cfsavCTRL-SPACE

I might expect to get this as a result:

<cfsavecontent variable="|">

(Where the | is the cursor).  Because <cfsavecontent> has only the one attribute option, and it's required.  It'd be good if CFB was savvy enough to grasp this.

Comment?

--

Adam

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2010 Apr 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to think that autocomplete was slow until I found out that the delay is configurable. If you go to:

Preferences > ColdFusion > Editor Profiles > Editor > Code Assist

You'll see a setting named "Delay before code assist (in milliseconds)"

I set it to 100 and it's a lot zippier now.

Did you check this setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that just the delay for the automatic code completion?  I mean as opposed to triggering the code completion with CTRL-SPACE as I am doing.

It's difficult to tell, but I guess it could be slightly faster when I decrease the setting from 2500 to 100.  Although it could be because I am editing  amuch smaller file than I was last week.

However I am uncertain about this remedy because it's certainly not taking 2.5sec to do the completion when I press CTRL-SPACE, so I do not see the connection between the setting value and the delay here.  Plus it makes no sense to add a delay there anyhow: it makes sense before anything happens automatically (and it drives me up the wall when CFB tries to help me when I type without me asking it to); but it makes no sense for there to be a delay after I've explicitly keyed CTRL-SPACE to tell CFB "complete this please".

I guess once I get back to my project work (in the larger files), I'll pay more attention to the completion speed.

Cheers for your suggestion though!

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops! Yeah, you're right. That setting is for the code assist, not the autocomplete. My bad!

And yes -- I've also noticed that sometimes the autocomplete is slow but I didn't make note of whether it was only with large files or not. I'll report back if I have anything more to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess once I get back to my project work (in the larger files), I'll pay more attention to the completion speed.

Any performance differences I perceived earlier certainly were not perceptable once I returned to working in large files.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation