21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 5:14 AM by vimpacts

CS5 to CS3

Stix Hart Level 5

Apparently (from a comment on the very good Indesign Secrets S5 wrapup) the only way to go from CS5 to CS3 will be via CS4?  Beacuse CS5 can't do .inx export?  Can anyone explain what the heck (sorry I'm a bit slacked off) and offer any work arounds?

We have multiple copies of CS3 (CS4 didn't spin our wheels) and I was prepared to upgrade most of them to CS5 but to render all our older software obsolete at a stroke if we want a newer version is a bit galling.  I'm not an Adobe basher, I like them and know they need to make money, but even big old evil Microsoft offers better compatibility between it's versions.  I'm not even expecting everything to work perfectly, just the capability to open a simple document....

• 1. Re: CS5 to CS3
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I believe you go to CS4 now, you'll get a free upgrade to CS5 when it ships.

Contact Adobe directly for details.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 to CS3
            Scott Falkner Level 5

In the past, Adobe has offered free upgrades to buyers of CSX if they buy CSX-1 after the announcement of CSX. So if you buy CS4 today it will come with a free upgrade to CS5. Maybe get a couple of those now. Check with Adobe first, just to be sure.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS5 to CS3
              Harbs. Level 6

If you upgrade now, you should be able to get CS4 and CS5 for the 

price of one...

Harbs

• 4. Re: CS5 to CS3
                Stix Hart Level 5

So what you're all saying is that yes, the only way to go from CS5 is via CS4, and the best work around for my case is to get both CS4 and CS5 now for the same price?  Very good point, I hadn't though of it.  But then Adobe told me last time that I couldn't have both CS2 and CS3 installed?

• 5. Re: CS5 to CS3
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

Adobe are not the sharpest knives in the block.

• 6. Re: CS5 to CS3
                    Harbs. Level 6

I have CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, and CS5 all installed onthe same computer without problems (alhtough I can't remember the last time I opened CS).

Harbs

• 7. Re: CS5 to CS3
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Adobe has NEVER had a method to directly backsave an InDesign document more than one version previous (nor, I think, has Quark ever had that capability).

There is a hack you can use on CS4 generated .inx files that will allow SOME files to be opened in CS2, but it isn't guaranteed to work with all files, and it isn't officially supported. Since both CS4 and CS5 support the newer .idml format, nothing has changed except that there will be no way to hack the format for CS3.

I don't know why Adobe would have told you you couldn't have both CS2 and CS3 iinstalled, unless it was part of some license agreement for a site license. There is no compatibility issue (a lot of us here keep the old versions around for legacy work, and so we can crank them up to answer questions).

• 8. Re: CS5 to CS3

Scott Falkner wrote:

Adobe are not the sharpest knives in the block.

What does that mean?

• 9. Re: CS5 to CS3
                          Stix Hart Level 5

That's all interesting thanks Peter.  I've only been around since CS2 so assumed the ability to export backwards was a given.

It's just a standard license, the person I was talking to must have been pretty dull.  I'll see if I can persuade the boss to spring for it now...

• 10. Re: CS5 to CS3
                            peter minneapolis Level 4

P Spier wrote:

(a lot of us here keep the old versions around for legacy work, and so we can crank them up to answer questions).

I haven't looked at the End User's License Agreement (EULA) for some time, but it used to be that when you upgrade at the special price from one version to another, you're supposed to retire the former version.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 11. Re: CS5 to CS3

From the CS4 EULA:

5. Updates.
                              If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid
                              license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. After you install such update or
                              upgrade, you may continue to use any such previous version in accordance with its end-user license
                              agreement only if (a) the upgrade or update and all previous versions are installed on the same Computer,
                              (b) the previous versions or copies thereof are not transferred to another party or device unless all copies of
                              the update or upgrade are also transferred to such party or device and (c) you acknowledge that any
                              obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version(s) may end upon the availability of the upgrade
                              or update. No other use of the previous version(s) is permitted after installation of an update or upgrade.
                              Upgrades and updates may be licensed to you by Adobe with additional or different terms.

• 12. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                Stix Hart Level 5

What if you have to reinstall on a new computer?  as will most likely happen here when we upgrade and do the computer at the same time....

• 13. Re: CS5 to CS3

Not a problem. That section says you can continue to use the old version, subject to the old license, as long as it's installed on the same computer as the upgrade. It doesn't say it has to be installed for you to use the upgrade.

• 14. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                    Stix Hart Level 5

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  When you reinstall you'd have to get Adobe to activate CS3 first, then CS4, then CS5.  Will they do that?  I'd read somewhere that they stopped activating old software after a while, and how about if you've used that old version as your upgrade path?  Sorry to ask so many questions but this upgrade is a big deal financially for us.  The printing industry isn't exactly making us millionaires....

• 15. Re: CS5 to CS3

Not at all. You only need the media or serial number from the old version to install the upgrade. Activation for each version is separate.

• 16. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

And in case that's not totally clear, the bottom line is you DO NOT have to install the earlier versions to install the upgrade.

Bob

• 17. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                          peter minneapolis Level 4

P Spier wrote:

From the CS4 EULA:

5. Updates.
                                          If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid
                                          license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. After you install such update or
                                          upgrade, you may continue to use any such previous version in accordance with its end-user license
                                          agreement only if (a) the upgrade or update and all previous versions are installed on the same Computer,
                                          (b) the previous versions or copies thereof are not transferred to another party or device unless all copies of
                                          the update or upgrade are also transferred to such party or device and (c) you acknowledge that any
                                          obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version(s) may end upon the availability of the upgrade
                                          or update. No other use of the previous version(s) is permitted after installation of an update or upgrade.
                                          Upgrades and updates may be licensed to you by Adobe with additional or different terms.

Thanks, Peter S!

It's obvious from this that software would cost a lot less if software companies didn't spend bundles on high-priced lawyers to write stuff like this. Borland's early EULA said something like, "Treat this software like a book. Use it yourself, or stop using it and let someone else use it. Don't copy it for others to use it."

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 18. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                            Stix Hart Level 5

Yeah, but I will want to install CS4 as well as CS5....

• 19. Re: CS5 to CS3

So install CS4, then install CS5.

If you are changing machines in between, Deactivate and unistall on the old machine and put both on the new one.

• 20. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                                marcusstringer Level 3

I have CS3 (where I do 99% of my epub work from)

CS4 (only for the back save to CS3)

CS5 (only for other peoples files and only for back saving to CS4)

CS4 and CS5 are installed on the one Machine, both open at the same time without issue

CS3 on another

• 21. Re: CS5 to CS3
                                                  vimpacts

great thank you...

Slawek Grudzinski

slawek@schellhorn.biz