• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks in RBH

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I asked this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own discussion. We've had a lot of issues when we publish hyperlinks. The links turn into relative links and do not work with our SSL files. Therefore, we've been going into the html for each link and turning the link into an absolute link. Does this have to do with how we've organized our files? Does everyone have to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Hmmm, your project structure does look a bit odd. But I'm guessing you may not be understanding what you see in the RoboHelp application.

When you link to other files, you really should have them inside the project. That way the links will still work once you place the content in its final destination. So I suppose this is the first issue. Where will the files ultimately be when the end user accesses them? If you are creating WebHelp, normally you would copy them to a Web Server. If you are creat

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally you want to avoid using absolute links and relative links are preferred. This makes me wonder if perhaps you are misunderstanding them.

A relative link looks like this:

* In the same folder: sometopic.htm

* In a different folder: ../SomeTopic.htm or Folder/SomeTopic.htm or ../SomeFoder/SomeTopic.htm

Generally speaking, relative links are more resilient and more reliable as a result.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the relative and absolute link differences, but when the entire file is moved to the Web Help SSL folder, the link set up automatically by RBH using the hyperlink function is no longer valid (they are referring to a relative link in the main root folder, that is not copied to the SSL folder). Does this make any sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mollyid wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the relative and absolute link differences, but when the entire file is moved to the Web Help SSL folder, the link set up automatically by RBH using the hyperlink function is no longer valid (they are referring to a relative link in the main root folder, that is not copied to the SSL folder). Does this make any sense?

Sorry, but it doesn't really make sense. Think of each RoboHelp project as an island. On the island are many roads. These are like your hyperlinks, connecting one page to another. If you pick the island up and move it across the sea, the roads don't change, right?

Where you are losing me is your mention of "when the entire file is moved to the Web Help SSL". First off, there isn't a single file with WebHelp. There is a swarm of files. In fact, if you have perhaps 20 actual HTM topic files, you will end up with as many as 220 or so actual files to make the system work. The files are then copied to a web server. But you are talking about "moving" the files to the Web Help SSL. Do you possibly mean "Generating"? So after you tell RoboHelp to Generate your output the links are failing? If so, where exactly are the links? Topic to topic? Topic to external web page? Where?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great information. I did mean generate. When we generate, the links (to other files in the project folder or in another folder on the server, but not imported into the project) are now relative as the linked document is not brought into the SSL generated file. We do not have any of our file really managed into smaller folders. It is set up as described below:

-Project

-SSL Webhelp generation folder

-Topic files

-Folders for topic images

-Hyperlinked document

Please let me know if there's a better way to organize. I'm sure this is a "stupid question" but I am learning as I go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm, your project structure does look a bit odd. But I'm guessing you may not be understanding what you see in the RoboHelp application.

When you link to other files, you really should have them inside the project. That way the links will still work once you place the content in its final destination. So I suppose this is the first issue. Where will the files ultimately be when the end user accesses them? If you are creating WebHelp, normally you would copy them to a Web Server. If you are creating a .CHM, it will end up as a single file that is normally copied to the end user's hard drive.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp