Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Instapaper ePub crashes ADE

Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the epub Download Feature of Instapaper to create an epub file. When I download this file to my computer and double click it to launch ADE the application crashes immediately. If I launch ADE again, the Instapaper file shows with an exclamation mark in the corner. I can't open this file and there are no further information as to why ADE crashed.

Has anyone encountered this issue and found a solution?

System: Mac OS X 10.6.3 MacBook Pro Late 2008, Intel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this all instapaper created ePub files, or just a particular one.  I tried a single file from Instapaper and it opened up with no problem.  Most likely either

a.) This is a problem with ePub generation that instapaper already fixed (they marked this a public beta)

b.) Or it was a particular article that was badly form XHTML that caused ADE problem (however I agree that ADE shouldn't crash).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following your suggestion I tried an ePub with different articles and limited myself to those in English language. This ePub worked flawlessly.

You were right, that my initial attempt included some invalid markup. When I transferred the broken file to my PRS 505 using Calibre the Sony reader reset itself immediately when I selected it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to know the article that caused the crash, or if you don't want to go to the trouble, then getting a copy of the file that caused the crashes.  I'll send you a private message with my email address if you are interested in sending the file along.

The instapaper folks may be interested as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SInce I've since overwritten the crashing file I have to check my Time Machine backup.

Meanwhile I will try to create a separate ePub from every single article in question to make debugging easier. As soon as I find the article in question I will send it to you.

Thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines