• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the first topic

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating .chm files using Robohelp 8.

I have decided that I want the help to open to a different page. How do I do that?

- thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In the Single Source Layouts pod, right-click the Microsoft HTML Help layout and choose properties.

Click the Select button and nominate the desired topic.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2010 Apr 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - I'm hoping you can help me, since I have the same question - but your answer didn't solve it

I am using Robo 7, and went to the Single Source Layouts pod, right-click the Microsoft HTML Help  layout and choose properties. I choose the topic I want to use as my opening page, but it does not change.

It's pointing to a topic that I don't want to use at all, but is still under the same folder. I've tried copying in the entire folder again, but it simply doesn't change. I've even tried pointing to a totally different topic, no difference.I've also tried reselecting the value I'd like to use as the opening page.

Is there anything else which needs to be done? I assume if I am publishing to a test environment right now (to view the change) there isn't anything else I need to change in these options?

I inheritied the KB from someone else about a year ago, and this actually changed shortly after, but the frustrating part is that I did not change this value.

Appreciate any assistance - I have figured out most of the app by myself, unfortunately I don't find the online help too helpful - the forums are much better, so I'm throwing myself on your mercy

Thanks,

Anahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2010 Apr 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anahid

Sounds like you could use some training.

Are you certain you are looking at the correct CHM? Because it sounds to me that you may be viewing an older version skulking about somewhere and you aren't seeing the latest and greatest.

Additionally, I hear you saying you "published" the CHM? This seems to imply a network location. And that seems odd as CHMs generally no longer work on a network drive without some tweaking of all workstations accessing them.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

You're right - I could use some training, but with today's budget constraints it isn't going to happen. So, I came to the forums hoping to get some answers because I was unable to find anything in the Robohelp help (which is kind of ironic).

The way the original person set up Robo, I make all changes locally on my laptop, then I push them to my network server, where is where we host the KB. I'm positive I'm working on the most recent content, since all my changes are refected in what is displayed to users from the app it's supporting. Based on what you said, I'm guessing I can open Robo from the server, and specify the Default Topic there, since it sounds like you are saying my doing so on my PC isn't going to do anything.

I've managed to maintain our content for over a year, this is the only issue I couldn't figure out. Perhaps this is just the wrong forum to ask for help.

Regards,

Anahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No, this is the exact place to ask for help. Sorry if my reply made you feel differently. I was just musing about your comment:

Appreciate any assistance - I have figured out most of the app by  myself,

I wasn't trying to chide you or whatever. Just sort of saying it would probably be easier for you if you had training on it.

So it would appear from what you wrote that maybe WebHelp is what you are creating? And if so, the process is nearly identical for WebHelp and configuring the default topic. My thought here is that perhaps you literally followed the instructions and changed it for Microsoft HTML Help. If that's what you did, you changed it for a CHM file and not WebHelp. So likely you need to re-trace your steps a bit. Make the change and re-publish.

At no time should you really ever open RoboHelp, navigate somehwere on a server and open things to make changes. You should always be working locally.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - you are correct - I did try exactly what you said - after working thru the weekend with only a few hours sleep on our release, my brain has basically shut down.

I just went and changed Webhelp General - Webhelp, and that worked. I can't tell you how happy and relieved I am. We just deployed to a new group, and I was cringing that they would see a "Under Construction" for the opening page. I sent out a cheat sheet with the announcement on areas most useful, but sooner or later someone would have hit the home button, and I would have been mortified.

I looked at your links btw - I recently picked up an old reference book from amazon, but saw the GooberGuides. Would you recommend that? I would carve out some personal time to learn more quickly - and I wouldn't mind paying for that myself, it's certainly affordable enough.I do love the tool - and our KB has won accolades from the users. It is the first application we have complete context sensitive help for the users, we completely removed the vendor support (which made no sense for our users). I'm extremely proud of it - but there is so much more I'm sure I could do if I had the proper knowledge. Unfortunately it's a very small part of my job, because it's also the most fun

Thanks again -

Anahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp