• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make gradient swatches?

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is my main tool but trying to do a little more Illustrator work.  Most everything carries over from InDesign but something about creating a gradient swatch doesnt seem to be the same.  In InDesign, I generally create the two colors I want as two separate solid swatches.  Then I start a new gradient swatch and select those two solid swatches.  Is there a similar way to do this in Illustrator?  Im using CS4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Almost the same. Make your two color swatches. Then open the Gradient panel from the Window menu if it is not already available. Drag one of your colors to one end of the Gradient bar and the other to the other end. If you want to add more colors, just drag to the appropriate place. Adjust as you like. Then drag from the fill window into the swatch panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost the same. Make your two color swatches. Then open the Gradient panel from the Window menu if it is not already available. Drag one of your colors to one end of the Gradient bar and the other to the other end. If you want to add more colors, just drag to the appropriate place. Adjust as you like. Then drag from the fill window into the swatch panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah perfect! Thats exactly what I need, thanx! Never would have guessed drag and drop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do the same thing in Illustrator.

The primary difference is with Illustrator you don't have to have swatches first. With Indesign you do.

In Illustrator you can simply click a gradient stop in the Gradient Panel and adjust the color in the Color Panel. Can't do that in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer swatches whenever I can have them, makes revisions MUCH easier, especially with gradients. And actually with InDesign, you do not have to have swatches for a gradient either, and you also can click on a stop in the gradient panel. I do it all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found something else similar that I need, is there a way to do the same thing but as a directional feather?  Having one end be the swatch and other end be transparent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you click on a color stop in the Gradient panel, or double-click a stop on the Gradient Annotator (CS4 only), you can change the opacity to 0%, or anything in between. Transparency was a new feature in CS4 — previous versions won't have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines