Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making the contents of the <title> tag conditional

Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(RH HTML, version 8.0.2.208.)

Hi all,

Is there a way of making the contents of the <title> tag conditional? One of my topics needs to have a different title according to the chm it goes into (designer chm or end user chm). Search results are based on the contents of the <title> tag, not of <h1>, so the contents of the <title> tags do need to be specific.

I tried applying conditional tags inside the code manually (I copied <?rh-cbt_start condition="Designer" ?>, etc), but it just doesn't work (both versions of the title show).

Then I created 2 different html files, each with the correct <title>, and inserted the contents of the topic as a snippet. That worked OK. But now I have an image map in another topic that refers to my double-file topic (and this image map appears in both versions of the chm as well)! The only way to make things work is to have 2 versions of the image map, each with the correct link.

I thought the idea of single sourcing was to make things simpler and to save time... Did I miss something? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, C.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Looks like you have done your homework!

Indeed it would be a nice feature to be able to conditionalize the Title attribute. Please take a moment and suggest it via the Wish Form.

What I might suggest is that you create a Related Topics link that points to each of the desired topics. My hope here is that when one or the other topics is removed by conditionalizing, it will leave behind a single link. Then instead of seeing a popup chooser, the link just works to open the single topic.

Give that a go and see how well it may work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an outstanding feature request so do submit your request to up the chances. It's needed for people who work with multiple languages too.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you both for your responses. I have submitted a feature request.

Rick, were you suggesting to insert the Related topics button on top of the image map?

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mmm... as far as the image map is concerned, it seems that the conditional expression I tried using yesterday to no avail is now working (I made the <area/> tag conditional). I changed nothing in the meantime, all I did was close and reopen the project. No accounting for RoboHelp behaviour...

(Of course, this changes nothing to the conditional <title> tag issue.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp