• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 Freezes When Trying to Use Any Open Dialog

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title pretty well says it all. RoboHelp freezes when I try to use Open... from the Starter screen or File>Open or any other control that accesses the open dialog (i.e., the open/explore button on the Content Settings tab in the FrameMaker Document Settings dialog). I have to end the process in the Task Manager and restart RoboHelp. (Fortunately, the Recent Projects links work – except for Open..., of course.)

I discovered this when I had to restore links to moved FrameMaker documents. My installation is TCS2 running on Windows 7 32-bit; all updates to all TCS2 components and Windows 7 have been installed.

I tried an in-place reinstall of RoboHelp, but that didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Maybe something went crazy and it thinks you have multiple monitors, and your dialog boxes are opening off the screen?

Select File > Open, then do the following:

Press Alt+Spacebar+M, then any arrow key.

Waggle the mouse madly until the dialog box appears on screen, then left mouse click to drop it where you want it.

(I assume this will still work in Windows 7, but don't have that version to try it out.)

If you're having problems with all your dialog boxes, I think you'd have to access each dialog bo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John and welcome to the RH community.

I'd check that you have both of the 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 updates installed. Also ensure your RH source files are not located on a network drive. Bare in mind that whilst some users manage to run RH under Windows 7, others have reported problems. You should also note that Windows 7 is not an officially supported platform for RH usage.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 is officially supported under Windows 7 32 bit.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 installed. The RH source files are on a local drive (in fact, RH installation, FM files, and RH files are on the same local drive).

As far as I can tell, everything was working fine through Tuesday; no problems until yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe something went crazy and it thinks you have multiple monitors, and your dialog boxes are opening off the screen?

Select File > Open, then do the following:

Press Alt+Spacebar+M, then any arrow key.

Waggle the mouse madly until the dialog box appears on screen, then left mouse click to drop it where you want it.

(I assume this will still work in Windows 7, but don't have that version to try it out.)

If you're having problems with all your dialog boxes, I think you'd have to access each dialog box and repeat to get them all in the right spot. Although I do remember something about a registry hack - I don't know if that affects all dialog boxes or just one/some. I think it was Rick who posted it originally, so he might remember and be able to answer that.

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked! And in fact, I am using multiple monitors (2 monitors). What apparently happened is that I switched which one was the primary monitor, and instead of having the dialog open on the "new" other monitor, it was opened off screen to the "other" side. (I hope that makes some sense for any future readers who may come by.)

-- John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm hopeful that you (and all others that have experienced this) will take a moment to report this to Adobe as a bug. We are noticing an increasing frequency of multiple monitor usage. The software we use (such as RoboHelp) should work with us on this and not against us. RoboHelp needs to be amended so it checks for this and presents the dialog on the proper monitor when these conditions arise.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Submitted bug report per suggestion.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp