Exit

Missing topics

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2010 Apr 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using RH8.

I am working on the project which is done in RH5 by using RH8.I find many topics are missing, Tools>Reports>Missing topics.

This topic is visible in the TOC when i click on the topic "TOC page properties open".Degin view remain blank.

Can anyone help me in restoring these missing topics.In my project i have almost more than 100 missing topics.

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul karn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you are using 801. When you started this thread, you should have seen references to 802.

802.jpg

That is the most likely cause.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you bit elaborate,i am not able to perform this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean when you say you are unable to perform the task. Do you mean you don't have admin rights to apply the patch or you don't understand how to fix the problem?

The latter is fully described on my site and there is a link from the Adobe forum.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to fix the problem.I found plethora of information regarding

this and tired of trying all but still no euphoria.

Can you tell me precisely what really i need to do?

Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article on my site about how to fix the problem after apply 802 is very precise about the steps needed. If your project is not under source control, I repeat the steps here.

1. Create a zipped backup of the project.
  2. Install the service release.
  3. Open the project using the XPJ file and check to see if any broken  links are  shown in Project Manager.
    If there are broken links,  right click each one in Project  Manager and  select Restore. It is important the links are repaired this way.
  4. Check Tools > Reports > Unused Files and ensure  that none  of your topics are reported there. If they are, then reimport them.
  5. Close the the project and create another zipped backup.
  6. Delete the CPD file and reopen the project using the XPJ file.
  7. Check that no broken links are showing and that there are no  unexpected topics showing in Tools > Reports > Unused Files.

Not sure what else I can say because those are the steps that have worked for everyone else. Have you gone through those steps?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Thanks Peter!!!

It seems this will work: i have restored the broken link,i can find my few

topics in Unused file but how to reimport them?

What is service 8.0.2 is it necessary to install.

I have to work on the project which is build in 2004 by using RH5 and most

of the folder was updated once.Now when i have taken over this project i am

using RH8 from where should i start and what kind of trouble i may

encounter?

Thanks in anticipation.

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is service 8.0.2 is it necessary to install.

Doesn't the fact that it is described as a critical update tell you it is necessary to install it?

The announcement tells you what 8.0.2 is about. If you have admin rights, go to Help > Updates in RH8 and apply the update.

what kind of trouble i may encounter?

Err, lots of broken links! If you follow the instructions, the links will be fixed and the topics will be back in your project when you have followed every step.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks lot!!

I am now relaxed man,yes my problem is fixed.

But still question in my mind,why this importent files become unused,is it

because it ws not used for long time?what should we do to avoid this problem

again?

Thanks again Peter.

Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was that 800 had a bug and you opened the project before applying the patch. Now that you have the patch, all should be OK with this project and any more you open in RH8.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have made more than 250 projects using RH8.0.0 but faced problem in about

30 projects.Should i fix these projects only?or update also those projects

which is working fine?

After updating does RH somewhere reflect it version number?

Br,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you can do is open each project and see if there are missing links. No broken links = Close project and carry on.

250 projects sounds a lot. Are you producing a project per area of a product or some similar scenario?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,almost similar scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why have a separate project per area?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have different projects per protocol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I follow that. What I am trying to prompt you to think about is whether the overhead of seperate projects is necessary. It's your call and you know more about the reasons. It just sounds like a lot of work for you and fragmented help for the end user.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,i agree with you.Since it is done by someone else,i have to look for the

feasiability.

Now task in front of me is that in one of the project there is more than 100

broken links and even more unused file.

Will i have to do it manually, or is there any other automated way to

repair broken links and and import unused files?

Br,

Rahul Karn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, it is a manual task but you'll be surprised how quickly you can knock off the broken links once you get into it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp