Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4 crashes after recording, while trying to import

Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered a problem with Captivate 4 when recording new slides into a project.  It will record the slides I want, however, when it is in the process of importing into the project, I get a message stating, an error has occurred and would need to shut down.  I have tried the following ways to find the problem, but still haven't found a solution.  1)  I created a new blank project and copied all the slides into that project.  That worked a while, then the problem reappeared. 2) I tried creating smaller files and then importing them into the larger file, this didn't work.  3)  I have just completely reinstalled all the software on my system, including my windows XP OS, and still the problem exist.

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with 2.72GB available physical memory, 1.96GB Available virtual memory. X86-based PCprocessor is x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineINtel 2659 MHz.  I also have the creative suite in my system.

I would appreciate any help with this problem, I am working on a project and have already been delayed a month, trying to fix the problem.

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Some more questions: did you install the CP-update (May 2009)? What is the size of your project: how many slides, filesize of CP?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for responding. No I have not installed the update. I will do that when I return on Monday. My file has approximately 80 slides. I don't have the file size, but I recorded on 800 x 600. Let me also add, I thought file size may be the problem, so I created a new file and started recording and had the same problem when it came time to saving the file, it would not allow me to save the file; this file only had about 20 slides.

Thanks for your help.

Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 02:32:32 -0700

To: phototaker42@hotmail.com

Subject: Captivate 4 crashes after recording, while trying to import

Hello,

Some more questions: did you install the CP-update (May 2009)? What is the size of your project: how many slides, filesize of CP?

Lilybiri

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Certainly first install the update because it solved quite a lot of problems. Do you use a lot of audio? I have been creating files up to 120 slides, but without audio on a less performant system. Forgot to ask: hope you are not working from a networked drive, CP doesn't like that, try to work on your HDD.

Hope you get it resolved on monday,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just to let you know, I installed the latest patch, however, I after looking at your last response, I believe its an issue with file size. I have 118 total slides with a file size of 7842.9kb.

I was able to start a new project and save it separate from the large file. My plans to resolve this problem is to create several small files and daisy chain them together. So, with this in mind, what would be a safe file size, or number of slides per project? I need to add audio to both of these files. Thanks for your help.

Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:27:57 -0700

Hello,

Certainly first install the update because it solved quite a lot of problems. Do you use a lot of audio? I have been creating files up to 120 slides, but without audio on a less performant system. Forgot to ask: hope you are not working from a networked drive, CP doesn't like that, try to work on your HDD.

Lilybiri

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I have my files saved on my hard drive.

Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:27:57 -0700

Hello,

Lilybiri

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that your problem is not yet solved.

Recommended number of slides, since you are planning to add audio, about 50-60 max. I told you that I created CP-files of about 120 slides, but no audio in that big one. As for file size: just checked CP-files on this PC, found some of about 50MB, without any issues.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lilybiri,

I have the same problem, mentioned above.. i'm using captivate to capture some screenshots (video and manual screenshots). The total number of slides are 67, everything was fine till i find the error message when importing a slide... i tried many solutions like:

1. uninstall captivate and then installed it again

2. deleted unused items from the library which decreased the size (was 92 MB became 19 MB)

3. installing captivate trial version on another pc.

4. making a new blank project then capture a screenshot then import it into another project containing 16 slides (kindly notice that i

divided the 67 slides into 8 different .cp files).

A quick question: is the trail version free from bugs ? as i didnt do the update mention in the above thread.. but as i searched for this problem so far i didnt find that the update solved this problem.

i need a solution for this problem as soon as possible as the project i'm working on is delayed because of this problem.

Please help

Thank you so much and waiting for your reply.

Endji Hesham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you have run into is what seems to be a cap on the number of slides or information that captivate can handle in one project. I had about 60+ slides without any audio when the crashes began. You won't find this cap any where, which leaves me to believe it may be a bug that needs to be fixed. To solve my problem, I broke my project up and daisy chained the projects together, this worked fine for me. I added a button on the last slide, and changed the navigation to open another file or you can use the open another project option. The key to doing this is to publish all the projects in the same folder so that when you link one to the other, it will have no problems find the project, or you can use that same navigation option on the slide itself and tell it to open another file or project on slide exit, which ever works best for you.

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:48:48 -0600

Hey Lilybiri,

I have the same problem, mentioned above.. i'm using captivate to capture some screenshots (video and manual screenshots). The total number of slides are 67, everything was fine till i find the error message when importing a slide... i tried many solutions like:

1. uninstall captivate and then installed it again

2. deleted unused items from the library which decreased the size (was 92 MB became 19 MB)

3. installing captivate trial version on another pc.

4. making a new blank project then capture a screenshot then import it into another project containing 16 slides (kindly notice that i

divided the 67 slides into 8 different .cp files).

A quick question: is the trail version free from bugs ? as i didnt do the update mention in the above thread.. but as i searched for this problem so far i didnt find that the update solved this problem.

i need a solution for this problem as soon as possible as the project i'm working on is delayed because of this problem.

Please help

Thank you so much and waiting for your reply.

Endji Hesham

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2010 Apr 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry to have overlooked your mail yesterday.

If I read your mail carefully, never see that you have tried the copy+paste workflow (into a blank project) because you always talk about importing. Did you?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2010 Apr 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that option and it didn't work. Captivate don't like projects with over 60 slides. If you have audio and/or a lot of images, it will take even less. What I end up doing was save my current project in a different name. For the original, I removed the slides that I wanted on the new project, and then daisy chained it to the new project. I then Repeated the process with the new one by removin g the slides I didn't want. This creates a seamless project and you now have enough space to add audio if needed.

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 06:23:02 -0600

Hello,

Sorry to have overlooked your mail yesterday.

If I read your mail carefully, never see that you have tried the copy+paste workflow (into a blank project) because you always talk about importing. Did you?

Lilybiri

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Fine that you worked it out. FYI: I do have CP-files with about 120 slides, not using audio/video. And they worked all right, I'm still editing them.Those are files based on a software simulation (so many different backgrounds) in a resolution of 800x600 (lot of backgrounds=images), spare use of FMR (video), with added instruction slides, few static images and question slides. If CP can handle those files depends a lot more on what is on the slides then on the number of slides. And I try always to keep the library as clean as possible: deleting unused items all the time.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a group with 9 Captivate licenses.

Many of us have experienced the exact same problem mentionned in this discussion. We have attempted to fix the problem to the point of installing a new instance of the software on a brand new laptop and the same problem was still happening.

We are long time users of Captivate and have only experienced this specific problem since upgrading to version 4. With all our video files being in .cp format, we would like to avoid having to change to a different software but this seems to corrupt our files and does not allow us to insert new slides or recordings and thus making the files unusable.

We have started working with our IT department to try to figure out what is causing the problem and we will also be engaging Adobe support to see what they can help us with.

If anyone has any additional information, it would be great to hear from you. I will update with any new information we have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also mention that we have already tried many things.

File size and slide # do not seem to be an issue as we had the problem with only a few slides in a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Do I understand that the problem is only with some slides? They, or maybe objects on the slides, can have become corrupted. Did you try also the workflow with copy/paste instead of importing? Perhaps I do not understand your issue very well. And the update (May 2009) is installed? If possible, could you perhaps let me test one project, or do you have problems with that?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "corruption" of the entire .cp file seems to occur when we click record, get

our screen captures, end the recording and then it gets stuck on the Importing dialog box and the error below appears.

5-12-2010 11-02-10 AM.jpg

Going forward, regardless of what we try to record, the error occurs. Trying to insert a slide or copy/paste a slide causes the error to appear as well.

I have gotten around the error by using a screen capture program, strating a new project, pasting the image into captivate, and then merging the image into the background. This avoids me from having to go through the recording process. I just finished a 80 slide project this way and while it was a little more time, it got done without any probelms.

I have a file I can send you, I blanked out all the slides to remove any private information and tested it with the error still occuring. How can I send you the file?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this and see if it works for you. I am working on another project and had the problem again. I needed to import files from another program, so I took the slides before the place I wanted to insert the imported slides and grouped them together, then I imported my slides. When I finished importing I ungrouped the slides. This allowed me to create the slides all in one project.

Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:11:26 -0600

The "corruption" of the entire .cp file seems to occur when we click record, get

our screen captures, end the recording and then it gets stuck on the Importing dialog box and the error below appears.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/27632/5-12-201011-02-10AM.jpg

Going forward, regardless of what we try to record, the error occurs. Trying to insert a slide or copy/paste a slide causes the error to appear as well.

I have gotten around the error by using a screen capture program, strating a new project, pasting the image into captivate, and then merging the image into the background. This avoids me from having to go through the recording process. I just finished a 80 slide project this way and while it was a little more time, it got done without any probelms.

I have a file I can send you, I blanked out all the slides to remove any private information and tested it with the error still occuring. How can I send you the file?

Thanks!

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will work with recording too. I finished an 120 page project by using this process

Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:11:26 -0600

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/27632/5-12-201011-02-10AM.jpg

Thanks!

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did not fully answer your questions.

From what I know, all the updates have been applied. I go to Help>Updates and it tells me that no updates are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realize this thread is old and Captivate 4 is no longer the current version. I ran into this problem on a client project that required Captivate 4. My project was only 16 slides and Captivate would crash any time I would try to import additional slides, record, and even when I would try to insert buttons or other objects to existing slides. I tried all the methods mentioned in this thread to no avail.

So here's how I got past this mess - I started a new project with 1 blank slide. I then copied and pasted each slide from the corrupt project into the new one, one slide at a time. I saved the project after each new slide that I copied in, naming the file sequentially. At this point I was trying to pinpoint if there was a corrupt object or slide causing Captivate to crash. Once all 16 slides were in I have found that I can record and insert more slides and objects with no problem.

Hopefully this helps some other unfortunate soul who is saddled with Captivate 4...

... and seriously Adobe - $800 for Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources