Expand my Community achievements bar.

Linking Drop Down Fields / Combo Boxes

Former Community Member

I wonder if I could ask someone to please help with a problem I am having with linking lists and combo fields? I looked at the tutoral for this and its exactly what I want to do (

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2 … _livecycle) but still cannot seem to get this to work.

I have a list of items in a drop down (see below) and when you select one of these (such as Bachelor of Arts (BA)) I want a range of options in another drop-down (Mode of Study, eg. full-time) to become available to choose and once one of these is chosen I then want a defined variable to appear in a text box. The only exception to this is where variable mode of study is selected, as I would like it to be possible to have the option to make a custom entry into the text box. I'd also like to add a line if there is more than one qualification just like in your example where an order line can be added.

I'm using livecycle designer ES on a windows platform.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken

Drop Down Variables 1 (Qualifcations) Examples (in total there are about 20 of these):

Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE)

Diploma of Higher Education (Dip HE)

Foundation Degree in Arts (FdA)

Foundation Degree in Science (FdSc)

Bachelor of Arts (BA)

Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)

Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)   etc....

Drop Down Variables 2 (Mode of Study)

Full Time

Part Time

Full Time & Part Time

Distance Learning (Full Time)

Distance Learning (PartTime)

Distance Learning (FT & PT)

Variable Mode

Text Box Defined Variables (Duration of Programme) - so when you select the two variable you get the = option

Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Full Time = 1 Academic Year
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Part Time = 2 Academic Years
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Full Time + Part Time = 1AY FT / 2AY PT
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Distance Learning (Full Time) = 1 Academic Year
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Distance Learning (Part Time = 2 Academic Years etc.....
6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Here is a sample. Have a look in the calculate event of the textfield(s).

https://acrobat.com/#d=bCr3y2NrV73QpAB7JTYXDw

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

Hi Niall,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. The sample is exactly what I was trying to achieve! After looking at my data again I've just realised that the process for specifying data to be specified in the final textfield may be more comlex than I first thought, as the final field is always dependant on the exact qualification and exact mode selected so it will not always be the same. Is there a way possible to account for this somehow? I've played around with the script but cannot seem to find a solution. For instance:

Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Full Time = 1 Academic Year
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Part Time = 2 Academic Years
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Full Time + Part Time = 1AY FT / 2AY PT
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Distance Learning (Full Time) = 1 Academic Year
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Distance Learning (Part Time) = 2 Academic Years
Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) + Distance Learning (Full Time + Part Time) = 1AY FT / 2AY PT

Bachelor of Arts (BA) + Full Time = 3 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) + Part Time = 6 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) + Full Time + Part Time = 3AY FT / 6AY PT
Bachelor of Arts (BA) + Distance Learning (Full Time) = 3 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) + Distance Learning (Part Time) = 6 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) + Distance Learning (Full Time + Part Time) = 3AY FT / 6AY PT

Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Study Abroad/Placement] + Full Time = 4 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Study Abroad/Placement] + Part Time = 6 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Study Abroad/Placement] + Full Time + Part Time = 3AY FT / 6AY PT
Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Study Abroad/Placement] + Distance Learning (Full Time) = 3 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Study Abroad/Placement] + Distance Learning (Part Time) = 6 Academic Years
Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Study Abroad/Placement] + Distance Learning (Full Time + Part Time) = 3AY FT / 6AY PT

Is it also possible to allow custom entries in the final textfield, for insatnce when you select variable mode? I've tried to alter this in the 'value tab' of the object to make it 'calculated - user can overide' but this produces an error message and then deletes the custom text I enter.

Thanks again for your help Niall, I really appreciate it!

Ken

Level 10

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I have been out of the office.

Here is an updated example: https://acrobat.com/#d=FXYAA3tcUvMonBSzq8Rthg

The first example uses Thom's example of an array and the use of functions.

The second example has the script in the change events of the dropdowns.

Please note that the mode of study dropdown does not have any set items. These come from the master list (in the myScript script object) depending on the qualification choices. Since the master list only covers two courses Cert and BA, the dropdown will only study work for these courses.

Hope this helps,

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I have been out of the office.

Here is an updated example: https://acrobat.com/#d=FXYAA3tcUvMonBSzq8Rthg

The first example uses Thom's example of an array and the use of functions.

The second example has the script in the change events of the dropdowns.

Please note that the mode of study dropdown does not have any set items. These come from the master list (in the myScript script object) depending on the qualification choices. Since the master list only covers two courses Cert and BA, the dropdown will only study work for these courses.

There is a bit to take in with the script and functions, so I would recommend the various tutorials on AcrobatUsers.com

Hope this helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Hi Niall,

No need to apologise, I'm just grateful for the help! I'm really quite impressed with how helpful people have been on the forums repsonding to my various queries. As I'm new to livecycle / scripting its been quite a learning curve!

In terms of adding all of my qualifications (e.g. Diploma of Higher Education (Dip HE)) and linking their mode of study to give their unique duration, am I correct in saying that I can just add/modify the script in 'myscript'? I've had a quick play and this seems to work ok.

Thanks again for your help,

Ken

Level 10

Hi Ken,

You are welcome!

You are correct, you would just need to extend the master list in the myScript object to include all qualifications.

You would want to check that in your form, it is set to automatically save script changes. Go to File > Form Properties > Default tab and select "Automatic".

There are some good resources on the Adobe website and in particular http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/

Good luck,

Niall