Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 (HTML) - Problems with 64bit Server 2008

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2010 Apr 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm getting reports from our support staff that they and our customers are encountering issues with trying to open our .chm help files over a network connection with 64bit Windows Server 2008.

Has anyone else encountered this? I haven't heard of anything involving running it locally on a 64bit OS, although I believe we're getting some new computers with 64bit Windows 7 here shortly.

The old registry hack that we've been using in the past for getting network viewing to work doesn't appear to work for this issue.

Any tips/info would be appreciated! Unfortunately, for some of our customers network viewing is required, so we need to find a way to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps Microsoft further restricted access on 64 Bit Server?

You seem to be saying that you simply are unable to view the CHM files on the server itself. But you later go on to say that your customers may have an issue. So I'm wondering if you have tested and are certain the registry hack workaround for viewing network supplied CHM files is failing on Windows 7 (I suppose it may) or if you are simply concerned that it *MIGHT* not work. Have you tried from a Windows 7 PC?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not currently have access to a 64bit server OS at our office, so I am reliant on the support staff who have been out at customer sites or otherwise been on the phone.

What they're reporting is that customers are trying to open help over a network connection (i.e. files are not on the local computer itself), and get the standard blank window. But when they apply (or have the customer apply) the standard registry hack that's worked in the past, the problem remains.

The only specific OS I've seen mentioned is 64bit Windows Server, which leads me to think it's the standard "trying to view a .chm file over a network" issue, but made worse or somehow else changed by the switch from 32 to 64bit OS. I don't know if this is some sort of security change on MS's end, or if something about 64bit is presenting a similar but not the same error, explaining why the registry hack doesn't fix it.

At the moment, I simply don't have access to a 64bit environment for my own testing. But of course I'm expected to have the answer before I get the tools to obtain it. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I'm going to bounce this off my Microsoft MVP buds and see if they know of any issues with this.

Hang tight... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/

Hope it helps.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp