Expand my Community achievements bar.

Any best practices on workflow design??

Level 10

I feel difficult when migrating applications from DEV->TEST->PROD.

This is because I have created web services in .net.

So, for each migration, I am suppose to change all the WSDL links in all forms and Workflows.

Currently:

I do open the processes in notepad replace all wsdl connection with TEST/PROD connections.

I do open each form and goto XML Source and replace all WSDl strings.

Is there any other best practice(s) to do that?

Nith

10 Replies

Level 10

For the process, you could create a variable of type "Configuration Parameter". That way you can set its value from adminui instead of having it in the process.

Jasmin

Level 10

Thanks Jasmin. Its a good idea to have a configuration parameter.

Do you have some suggestions for the forms migration as well??

Nith

Former Community Member

Hi Nith,

Have you able to figure out the solution for forms migration? If so, please share your solution as well.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Former Community Member

Hi Jasmin,

Can you explain a little bit more details as I am getting confused in setting up the value from adminui.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Level 10

If you set the type of a variable to "configurable", then you can set its value from adminui.

You can go under Home > Services >Applications and Services > Service Management

and search for your service. Then set the value from the Configuration tab.

Jasmin

Former Community Member

Hi Jasmin,

Are you using ES 2?  I am still using ES and I do not see the configuration tab of my service under the Service Management in the AdminUI.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Level 10

It's been there since 8.0, so you should see it.

Make sure you select a process from the Service Management. Also make sure you have at least one "configuration" variable otherwise you won't see the tab. It's at the same level as the security and endpoint tabs.

Jasmin

Level 10

I followed a different approach for one of my project as:

created several form variables which hold the WSDL for each different servers.

Calling the web service from javascript code (instead of data connections).

This solves the problem but increases the development overhead.

http://groups.google.com/group/livecycle/web/form%20variables.PNG

---

Another way is to design all your web services within adobe itself. In this case we will have the same host name (localhost) forever which doesn't require any modification throughout its lifetime.

Nith

Former Community Member

Hi Nith,

My web services was designed within adobe LC workbench and I called it by creating a data connection in the form. Since my Test and Production are on different servers so the localhost does not work for me, every time I export the app to Prod, I have to go to the form to change the url of the data connection to point to Prod server. This can be a hassle as I have more and more forms are coming. I like the method that use the variable by calling the web service from javascript code instead of data connections. Do you have a sample form that you can share? I am sure it will help others as well.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Level 10

The following link contains the Acrobat Javascript scripting reference.

The SOAP & Web Services section on page 244 helps to invoke web services through script.

http://livecycle.googlegroups.com/web/Acrobat+JavaScript+Scripting.pdf?gda=3I_-K1IAAAD3qyekicjqRdCX9...

Nith