• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere CS5 - Editing 1080p 60fps?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2010 Apr 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I just purchased a Sanyo Xacti FH1A HD camcorder that is capable of shooting 1080p at 60FPS.  I have not yet found a video editing suite that allows you to natively edit at this frame rate.  Does anyone know if CS5, or some other package supports this type of file?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2010 Apr 27, 2010

Did you try creating a custom sequence preset? If you use Desktop editing mode, you can custom set all the parameters (frame size, frame rate, etc.) to accommodate footage such as this. Now, whether you can actually edit it will depend on whether Premiere has the appropriate codec at its disposal. I don't know what codec this camera uses, but I assume it is some sort of MPEG4 variant; the editability of such material varies widely.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links.. I have actually consulted the help files, but see no mention of a preset that includes what I am looking for which is a 1080p 60fps 1920x1080 project setting.

In searching through the manual for Adobe Premiere which you linked to I still don't see this setting.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, better try the Sanyo software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2010 Apr 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harm. I was told the Nero software included can edit the 60fps footage, I just find it strange that a powerhouse editing suite like Premiere doesn't have this preset.  More and more camcorders support this nowadays.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try creating a custom sequence preset? If you use Desktop editing mode, you can custom set all the parameters (frame size, frame rate, etc.) to accommodate footage such as this. Now, whether you can actually edit it will depend on whether Premiere has the appropriate codec at its disposal. I don't know what codec this camera uses, but I assume it is some sort of MPEG4 variant; the editability of such material varies widely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

There is no such option in CS5, starting with AVCHD 1080P under general, only 24, 25 or 29.97.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm,

Colin was saying that he should start with Desktop editing mode, not AVCHD.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I get that... this new breed of 1080p/60p AVCHD is something different and from my understanding, is outside of the original AVCHD spec. However, setting up a Desktop editing preset might work:

60fps.png

No guarantees, but it might do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin.. Thanks! The custom sequence worked great.  I've never used the desktop editing preset before so didn't realize you could setup the parameters that way.  I used the 59.94 frames/second setting and it seemed to work great with a quick test! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit, I'm actually kind of surprised that worked! With the various MPEG-based cameras that seem to be sprouting like dandelions, it's sort of a crap shoot when it comes to finding decent support in an NLE. Glad it worked for you.

I would check your files using something like GSpot or MediaInfo (the Properties panel in Premiere might actually tell you, too) to determine the true framerate of these clips. I looked at the Sanyo website, and the specs said "60fps" and not specifically "59.94fps". Since these camcorders are anything but broadcast standard, it would not be surprising if they were indeed shooting at 60fps. It seems like a minor point, but using the 60fps clips in a 59.94fps sequence will result in Premiere doing some pretty awful things with interpolated/blended frames; whenever possible, it's best to match your footage frame rate with your sequence frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Colin,

I actually checked the clips the camera produced and they are indeed at 59.94fps and with that setting in Premiere I was able to edit and export video and it looked great! Glad there is a custom setting available in Premiere! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, that's good to know. I tried to find a sample clip to test somewhere on the Interwebs, but no dice...

Happy editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

the same problem is with the European model of the Panasonic SD707. This camera records in 1080p50

I can create a template as described before in CS4 with Desktop and 50 frames, but Premiere can not render this material. It is not possible to render it for preview or final rendering. Premiere only shows an error message.

Does anybody know if it will be possible to create such a template in CS5 which will work or even better does somebody know how to fix it in CS4.?

Regards from Germany

Helmut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "preview"? Do you mean that you can't render the files, or you can't view them at all in Premiere? If you can't render them, make sure that your preview codec is not set to something like Microsoft DV AVI or QuickTime DV (depending on whether you're using PC or Mac). Set it to something like MPEG2 I-frame instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same settings as shown in the screenshot above, the only difference is 50p instead of 60p.

I can put the clips to the timeline but when I want to render the timeline for better preview performance I get the error message that this format is not possible. If I create a 720p sequence and use the 1080p clips in this sequence everything works well.

Also the MediaEncoder can not handle this 1080p50 format, it is not possible to export this project with the original format. When I change the export format, no problem at all, but I will loose resolution or frame rate.

A lot of people here in Germany have the same problem, therefore I guess this render template in CS4 is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helmut,

Two suggestions:

1. Start a new thread with your problem outlined in it; since this is a "solved" thread you probably won't get much other help here.
  2. Would it be possible for you to upload a short test clip of your footage somewhere, and post the download link? That will help us ascertain the problem, and suggest a solution.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 Sanyos and one Canon 7D DSLR. I mixed and matched the videos just fine in Premiere CS4 (1080 P). It worked like a champ. Mind you there is no Mercury in CS4 so the multicamera setup was like a slideshow HOWEVER the editing process worked well (considering the slideshow, that is). I am really amazed on how far Premiere has gone (no more crashing and burning). Final Cut could not do it without transcoding the video first (in a laptop you know how long that would be).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2012 Mar 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to use Desktop editing mode and everything seemed to work fine up until the export. I am using a Sony AVCHD video camera with 1080p 60 frames. So anyways I don't know if it's just cause the file is an hour long or something but I got an immense amount of video motion lag with my subjects. I tried lowering the export settings eg. take off render at maximum bit depth and vbr 2 pass and I still got the same video lag. I went back in and made a new sequence with AVCHD 1080P 30 which is a preset of premiere and put it as render as max quality, render at maximum bit depth and VBR 2 pass. The video rendered properly and there was no more motion lag. Is there some way I can fix this becuase my client might be expecting the exported product to have 60fps 5.1 channel 1080P?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2012 Mar 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Deaconspires68

If you have footage and you dont know what preset to use you can drag your footage to the New Item button and Premiere will create a sequence that matches your footage.

Glad the Deskop sequence worked.

GLenn

New-Item.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh how I love simplicity! Especially when I had no idea you could do this!

It worked like a charm Glenn.

Thank you once again for kicking frustration to the curb for me! Haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you liked that.

They added that in CS5 and it makes it much easier.

Good to know both ways though.

I really wish Adobe had a online help site that listed cameras and would show how it would handle the footage from that camera.  They could just keep updating it as new cameras come out.  Wishfull thinking though.

ENjoy:  GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a truly fantastic idea.

You don't know how much I wish such a list existed, especially with CS4 and

back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines