• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse sequence disappears in CHM on other PCs

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a Microsoft HTML Help file from RoboHelp 8 running on my Windows Vista machine, I am able to view the browse sequence I've created. However, when I put this on the desktop of either a Windows 7 user or another Windows Vista user, everything works EXCEPT the browse sequence is not visible. They do not have RoboHelp on their computers, and neither will the multitude of users who will ultimately read the help file. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will need the HHACTIVEX.DLL file installed and registered on each PC for them to see the glossary.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Colum. I'll see how this goes. If my boss doesn't want to bother installing it, then there's no way our user base will bother, and

it's likely I'll have to forego creating this extremely valuable tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Windows 7 users in my office are unable to register the hhactivex.dll file. The error message says it is an older version, incompatible with this operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry, but I have nothing to offer here.

Please take a moment and report this to Adobe as a bug. They need to be aware of it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, the dialog box is

dllerror.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Possible a problem with HHActiveX.dll for 32 bit Windows 7.

This thread may have some relevance or may NOT [grin].

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/616610

Regards

HH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2010 Apr 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Win7 system is running in 64 bit, the normal regsvr32 command won't work on 32-bit dll's - you need to register them with the 32-bit version located in the \syswow64\ folder (found out all this the hard way )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Is this what you did?

1. Click the Start button, then in the "Start Search" box, type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.
2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".
3. In the open window, type the following command and press Enter:

regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\hhactivex.dll

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I tried the above sequence on a neighbor's Windows 7 64-bit OS after copying the hhactivex.dll file into c;\windows\system64 folder. After registering the file successfully and getting a dialog box telling me so, she was still unable to see the glossary or browse sequences in my help file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you have to execute the regsvr32.exe that lives in the syswow64 folder; where the dll resides is usually the system32 folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

Is there a 64-bit version of the hhactivex.dll as well as a 32-bit version of it? Or is there just a 32-bit version and the help application runs in 32-bit emulation on 64-bit machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm not Jeff of course, but will offer the following.

1. There never has been (to my knowledge anyway) a 64 bit version of HHActiveX.dll. There has only ever been the one version and most likely it's 32 bit.

2. I've seen issues beginning with RoboHelp 7 where Browse Sequences and Glossary tab simply won't appear for whatever reason. I've never managed to sort why. It happened to me on my development machine with a tremendous amount of regularity. I believe I reported the behavior to Adobe but never received anything back saying what to try or how to address the issue.

Because of this, my own personal recommendation would be to avoid using the Browse Sequences and Glossary.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

My users might not miss browse sequences, but not including a glossary!! Ouch.

I was prepared to pay Adobe a one-time fee for support to see if they had a solution, but I'm guessing they'll take my money and tell me they have no idea how to fix the problem.

I'm considering changing to WebHelp, with it's massive number of files (compared to the single chm file), but I fear there will be some new compatibility problems that I'll run into there as well. So I need to test it out on a few browsers and operating systems anyway.

I'm disappointed that Adobe wasn't prepared for this and isn't offering any published solution. Maybe Microsoft never told Adobe they were coming out with a new operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, when I noticed it was broken I was using 32 bit Windows XP Professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a newer, single-install help deliverable, you might also might want to check out AIR help. Peter's got some resources on his site about it, as well as Adobe's RJ Jacquez's blog has webinars on creating it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, guys. I need to balance this with other issues the developers have encountered with our user base and decide what's the best way to deliver the help file(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

For anyone reading this thread, note that AIR Help is a single Install. This means one single file to distribute that will need to be installed by the end user in order to use it. You cannot simply copy the single file to other PCs and use it as is. The end user first needs the AIR runtime. Once that request has been satisfied, they install the AIR file which then copies the swarm of WebHelp files to the end user's PC.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm wondering if I can get a little help from the gurus here.  I've been through the forums and internet trying to find the answer to browse sequences and glossary tabs in Windows Vista 64-bit.  I am running Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium Service Pack 2.

I need to mention that my .chm files work fine on Windows XP (multiple machines tested).  My project consists of a master .chm (thanks Peter Grainge for the step-by-step, which I followed to the letter) with 15 slave projects.

I've copied the hhactivex.dll from the Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp\RoboHTML (426 KB) on my Windows XP machine and saved it in the following folders on my Windows Vista 64-bit machine:

• c:\windows\system32
  • c:\windows\sysWOW64

I then tried using the cmd.exe command prompt (as administrator) in c:\windows\system32 to do the following:

1. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\hhactivex.dll
  2. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx

Both commands registered successfully.  When I opened the .chm, the glossary and browse sequence are still not working properly.

So, I then tried unregistered hhactivex.dll and hhctrl.ocx in the c:\windows\system32 folder using the regsvc32 and the cmd.exe (as administrator) in that same folder.

I then tried using the cmd.exe command prompt (as administrator) in c:\windows\sysWOW64 to do the following:

1. regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\hhactivex.dll
  2. regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\hhctrl.ocx

Both commands registered successfully.  When I opened the .chm, the glossary and browse sequence are still not working properly.

I've been pulling my hair out on this one.  I've seen posts mentioning the "Unblock" Button on the .chm's Properties - General tab - Advanced dialog, but I do not have an Unblock button anywhere in the properties for these .chms.  I also do not have the Microsoft KB 89xxxxx security updates on my Vista 64-bit computer that I can find.

I also say a post that put the path/filename in quotes when using regsvr32.  I tried registering again using the same scenarios above in system32 (regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\hhactivex.dll") and sysWOW64 (regsvr32 "c:\windows\sysWOW64\hhactivex.dll") but still I cannot get the browse sequences/glossary to work in thses compiled .chms -- whether opening the master or the slave.

After I registered the hhactivex.dll on a Windows XP test machine, if I opened a .chm and then went into Windows Explorer and tried to delete the hhactivex.dll, I'd get a "file in use" error.  However, when I open a .chm on my Vista 64-bit machine and try to delete the hhactivex.dll in either system32 or sysWoW64, it deletes without error.  I verified this with all of the different registering methods I described in this post (registering, testing, unregistering, moving to next folder, etc.).  Being able to delete the .dll on the Vista machine tends to make me believe that the .dll isn't really registering,  Either way, it isn't being accessed when a .chm file is opened like on a Windows XP machine.

I've been around the internet trying to find out exactly how to register .dlls in Vista 64-bit, and unless I'm totally missing something I believe I am doing this correctly.  If I am doing something wrong, could someone guide me in the right direction with a complete step-by-step method that works in Vista 64-bit?

I have yet to test Vista 32-bit or any version of Windows 7, but I am hoping that once I resolve the problem in Vista 64-bit that the rest will be non-issues.  I hope anyway, as I have no means to test those platforms.

Thanks in advance for making it to the end of this long post of mine.  I appreciate any help!

eeddings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need to mention that I tried hhactivex.dll from both RoboHelp 7 (401 KB) and RoboHelp 8 (426 KB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, eeddings,

It's a bit of a cop-out, but we made a corporate decision to distribute a WebHelp folder rather than the CHM because we were spending too much time and money trying to make the CHM features work. My effort creating the browse sequences was completely wasted as a result, but we haven't had any technical problems with distributing WebHelp so we're sticking with that. Sorry I can't point you in the right direction. But if you do give up on CHMs, at least you're in good company!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Surely you realize that WebHelp also offers the ability to use your Browse Sequences.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not. Pray tell! Or, better yet, send a link to an explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Not sure what version of RH you took your screen shots from, but on my version (8.02.208), the checkbox for Browse Sequences is grayed out in the Single Source WebHelp dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp