Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp crashes when generating HTML output; under one "condition"

Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project has several conditional build tags, and I use just two of them.

I have switched between conditions a million times when I generate output, but now RoboHelp crashes when I use "Condition B".

It is still successful on Condition A.

The Output View says:

Starting compilation ....

HTMLHELP preporcessor 8.0.0.203

Compiling

c:\HelpForGeomagicApps\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_4\ProjectName_EN.chm

Preparing to create HTMLHELP...

Clearing output folder...

Preparing files for HTML Help...

Copying files...

Updateing files....

AND THEN SHE CRASHES.

Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2010 Apr 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth renaming the projectname.pss file and then opening the project and compiling. If this doesn't work, try creating a new SSL (do not duplicate the existing one). Let us know if either of these work.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed the .pss, and tried to compile the "defective" condition. RH8 took a few extra seconds to build itself a new .pss, and then it crashed exactly as previously described.Then I specified a different name for the .chm file (I think that's what you meant by "a new SSL"), and it crashed as previously described. Then I tried to verify that I can still compile the "good" condition, and when I started RH8, there is a message that Dr. Watrson Postmortem Debugger failed, and now I can't start RH8. So things are going from bad to worse and I don't know what to tell you. Let me panic for a while and try to get RH8 running, and I'll post again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reboot, RH8 is running.

I can still compile the "good" condition.

In addition to the Output View details that I typed above, a *successful* compilation also includes something like:

Finished preparing in 67 sec(s)

Initializing compiler...
Generating HTMLHELP (8.0.0.203)...
Updating topics...

topicname

topicname

topicname

Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 113 sec(s)
Compilation complete.

In other words, I'm saying that compiling with the "bad" condition causes failure AFTER "Updating files..." and BEFORE "Finished Preparing in 67 sec(s)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant by "creating a new SSL" was right clicking in the Single Source Layouts pod and selecting New Layout. From the resulting dialog, select the required output type and set its properties the same as the other one. However the Dr.Watson reference may give us more of a clue as to the problem. See this link for further info.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the output to WebHelp and it crashes just the same.

As for the microsoft KB article about Dr. Watson, I'll read it, but I don't know .....

I wish I could get the Output View to name the file that RH8 is choking on. ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have also tried deleting the CPD file (after backing up) you may have to resort to the half and half approach as below but first try two other ways of finding the rogue topic.

1. If you right click the condition and look at its Properties, you will see the topics using it.
  2. Use a multi file find and replace tool to search for the condition. The RH supplied tool should be good enough for this purpose.

If no joy...

THE HALF AND HALF METHOD

1. Zip up your project so that you have a backup copy that cannot be opened by mistake.
  2. Trash half the topics from your project and compile again.
  3. If the problem is not fixed, trash half of what is left. Continue until it compiles. The problem is in the last batch of files you deleted. See 4.
  4. Now unzip the backup and trash everything except the batch of files identified as containing the problem. Keep the zip safe as you still need that.
  5. With the identified batch, repeat the trashing and compiling until you find the rogue topic.

Sounds worse than it is.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trashing technique is exactly what I was thinking about trying, so now I have confidence that I can think like Master Grainge. More better, I will start by trashing only the .htm files that changed since the most recent successful compilation. I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mister Grainge would not use More better!

Starting with recently changed stuff is a good approach.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp