Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 "Locked"

Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, CS5 is not treating me well, so far. When I go to to Workspaces/New in CS5 and when I quit , I get a message like this:

"Could not save Preferences because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file or change permissions on the file or enclosing folders."

And then it crashes.

Wassup?

HW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

HERE'S THE FIX:

Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings

Select that file File>Get Info

At the very bottom under permissions, hit the + icon.

Add your user name from the list that pops up.

Highlight the user just added.

Click the gear icon to the right of the +/-

Choose make owner.

Click the gear icon again and choose apply to folder contents.

Open Photoshop.

That should do the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems You might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences You’ve changed) by pressing command-alt-shift on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, etc.) might also be beneficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've trashed preferences and run maintenance scripts (Cocktail). No joy. Crash reports suggest unable to write pList. Permissions seem o.k.

On to purging PRAM. This is on laptop; will try on desktop later and also on new user.

HW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Waiting for a solution as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went into my preferences folder and changed access settings for "Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings' to allow me to read a write but now PS5 won't quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here!  All my permissions seem correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me. No problems with any other software apps. Did a repair permissions in Disk Utility, but it didn't help.

Would somebody tell me why CS5 requires such a giant nasty installer/uninstaller? Mac users are not going to be satisfied with answer that says "it's so we can have the same user experience for Mac and Windows customers". Even Microsoft learned their lesson and doesn't try and force a Windows-style installer on Mac users. Microsoft lets you safely delete their apps by simply dragging them to the trash. Adobe's installer/delete process is not Mac-like at all. The CS5 release notes specifically tell you DON'T drag the app to the trash. WTF? It also goes totally haywire if you move any of the files from their installed locations.

Very unpleasant out of the box experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings folder locked by chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the owner of that folder was set to "System". I added my user ID as the owner and applied the change to the contents of the folder and the problem went away.

Looks like the same thing is happening to others. Maybe Adobe needs to update the installer or issue a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For some reason, the owner of that  folder was set to "System". I added my user ID as the owner and applied  the change to the contents of the folder and the problem went away.

Looks like  the same thing is happening to others. Maybe Adobe needs to update the  installer or issue a patch."

This worked for me too.

I have both a MacBookPro 17" and a MacPro Desktop.

Both are running 10.6.3.  Both are connected to Time Capsule/Time Machine wirelessly.  MacBookPro backs up via Time Machine and MacPro is not set to backup yet.  The fix above worked on both and both machines are up and running CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new user, logged in as that user, and all was well. So it seems to be a matter of permissions and ownership.

Hope is in sight.

HW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay all so here is the fix to our issue:

I look over everything you all have done even on other forums. I registered to this one just to post what i did for you guys since this was such a f******* headache

I have cs4 so i deleted the contents of the preference folder and copies it from my cs4 Photoshop folder as an experiment and i got better results that i was shooting for. Before i could not add my acins brushes or anything including custom payout. Since i copied my prefrences from cs4 over not only was my layout all setup for me and named as is was in cs4 but all my custom brushes, actions and plug-ins. So far i been running this for a week and no issues yet

Im running

10.6.7 from upgrade (biggest mistake going to snow leopard BTW)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just confirmed that the Adobe installer had set all of the CS5 settings subfolders in ~/Library/Preferences to have an owner of "System". I did not have any access to the folders.

Changing the owner of the folders to my user account fixed the access for all of the CS5 apps.

Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Good to hear that it solved the issue. Now to understand why only certain people are experiencing it. Are you all on 10.6.3? Did you do a clean install of Snow Leopard or upgrade from Leopard? Do you use Time Machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a brand new MBP 15" Core i7. I started with a fresh 1TB drive and my OS was cloned from my earlier MBP and then upgraded to 10.6.3 from the restore disks that came with the MBP. Yes, I use Time Machine, but did not restore from it in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rockaway6 did you install PS, then clone the drive, then upgrade to 10.6.3 or did you clone the drive, upgrade to 10.6.3, then install PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clone operation and 10.6.3 upgrade was a week ago. All my other apps and data migrated fine.

The CS5 trial version was installed today, using the default installation options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS on my MacPro was also migrated from my MacBookPro.

I was running CS4 previously on my MacBookPro.

Got the MacPro and transferred all info including CS4, everything worked peachy.

Purchased CS5.

Downloaded and installed CS5.

*I'm not sure exactly which OS version was on at the time of migration as I always keep both computers updated via software update.  As of CS5 install time, both computers were running 10.6.3.

Not sure if that helps?

ETA: Mine is not the trial version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HERE'S THE FIX:

Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings

Select that file File>Get Info

At the very bottom under permissions, hit the + icon.

Add your user name from the list that pops up.

Highlight the user just added.

Click the gear icon to the right of the +/-

Choose make owner.

Click the gear icon again and choose apply to folder contents.

Open Photoshop.

That should do the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Works for me. Adobe should fix its installer.

HW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I tried earlier and it worked...sorta...I no longer get the "can't save settings" error but now PS won't quit. I have to force quit. If I open in 32 bit mode it quits fine but not in 64 bit mode. I have added no extensions or 32 bit plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Update....

I fixed the won't quit problem by allowing me to have read and write privileges for the CS5SeviceManager Folder in Application Support/Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's an important clue!

Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to this file as per your post, the "owner" option is grayed out. (OS 5.8). How do I make this option available?

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but how are you viewing the owner on file? I for the life of me cannot find.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the file or folder. Get Info and then unlock the sharing and permissions pane. Highlight your user name and if the Make (user name) the owner is grayed out then you're already the owner..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines