Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please explain this

May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 4 on a brand new Dell 560 with 8 GB of RAM will not record AutoCAD simulation (crashes both apps.) However, CamStudio (sound familiar?) downloaded April 30, 2010 works perfectly - audio and simulation recording (Hello! CamStudio is a OpenWare Program released 5 years ago). Do the math - that's befor Captivate 4 and Windows 7 where released. Didn't Adobe buy this App and turn it into Captivate.

Any help resolving the crashing during recording would be appriciated.

Steve

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Hi Steve

Sorry, no real answers here.

For starters, you must be on a 64 bit system. Sorry, but Captivate sometimes doesn't work as well as it should on 64 bit. I suffer similar behavior myself on my new system. Captivate doesn't seem to want to record anything but the first action unless I repeatedly click the recording frame. Then it will take snapshots. It even ignores the Print Screen key. It's as if once focus switches to the app being recorded, it ignores anything.

Even when Captivate works to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

Sorry, no real answers here.

For starters, you must be on a 64 bit system. Sorry, but Captivate sometimes doesn't work as well as it should on 64 bit. I suffer similar behavior myself on my new system. Captivate doesn't seem to want to record anything but the first action unless I repeatedly click the recording frame. Then it will take snapshots. It even ignores the Print Screen key. It's as if once focus switches to the app being recorded, it ignores anything.

Even when Captivate works to record, it sometimes has issues with certain applications. When that happens we normally recommend you establish a remote desktop connection and record that way. But given your system is 64 bit, I'm thinking it's related to this alone. Or maybe in conjunction with it.

As for the Captivate history, I don't believe you are right when you say that Adobe bought CamStudio and made it Captivate.

To my knowledge, here is Captivate's pedigree:

* Began life as a product called FlashCam and was owned by Nexus Concepts

* eHelp purchased FlashCam and rebranded the product as RoboDemo

* macromedia purchased eHelp and rebranded the product as Captivate

* Adobe purchased macromedia and the name remains Captivate

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks f

or the quick reply Rick - and correction(s). I think I have figured out my main issue (recording AutoCAD). Full motion video. Works fine in this mode - only I might add. Yes my systems is 64 bit.

Still confused on the CamStudio tho' - in the applications Help  - about it shows a copyright of 2001-2003, and a web address of www.RenderSoftware.com. Furthermore the Help menu also has an item to select "CamStudio Website" which, when follwed takes you to the Adobe website "Sorry page no longer exists". Finally, if you navigate to www.RenderSoftware.com you are greated with the following.

"If you are looking for CamStudio,  try RoboDemo from Macromedia.  Macromedia RoboDemo is the easiest way to  create interactive demonstrations and software simulations in Flash  format. RoboDemo records your actions in any application and instantly  creates a Flash simulation with visible and audible mouse movements. The  small file size and high resolution make RoboDemo simulations and demos  easy to publish online or burn to CD for use in training, sales,  marketing, or user support.                          Learn more about RoboDemo and  download a free trial."

Could be CamStudio is the "latest" from the RoboDemo guys - albeit from 2001-2003. Regardless, (no spam) Cam Studio works perfectly.

Thanks again for the insight and help with the issue.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Rick is still sleeping, he wouldn't mind my answering this. Was smiling when reading your question: Robodemo is the previous name of Captivate. It was taken over (years ago, do not remember when exactly) by Macromedia, then name changed to Captivate (starting with version 1). Sometime later Macromedia was taken over by Adobe, Captivate is now in version 4. There is no connection whatever, as far as I know, with Camtasia. Camtasia excels in Full Motion Recording, Captivate (formerly Robodemo) essentially works best with static slides, mixed when necessary with small FMR-parts. All depends on what you are wanting to produce and for which goal. So you'll have to look for the Camtasia website for information about their products.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

@ Lilybiri - I'm not sure where Camtasia was mentioned?

This CamStudio product is odd. It doesn't seem to behave anything remotely close to what I experienced as RoboDemo back in the day. Note that the CamStudio page simply states:

CamStudio page is at this link

...Knowing that CamStudio did some of the stuff RoboDemo did for free (mainly export to streaming Flash), it looks like they released a newer version of CamStudio (2.1) which fixed some bugs but most importantly, removed certain features. Gone was the ability to create SWFs, added was the requirement to register to use it, and over time, links to the various webpages that had CamStudio and its source code, became broken...

This only claims that a rebrand occurred. The page also states that "some of the technology" was eventually used in RoboDemo, but doesn't specifically say what it was. What seems strange about the page is that the person claiming to be in charge of it now (Nick) openly admits he "is not a developer" and is asking for help in developing the product further. Yet he claims he changed this and that about the application.

I also found a WikiPedia article on this product.

WikiPedia article is at this link

Oddly, the WikiPedia article mentions that a version 3 exists. Yet I see no download link for it on the CamStudio page.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the confusion, did not check the site. Thought Camstudio (was so before) was linked to Camtasia. It is indeed a strange situation,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources