• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CS5 Mac crashes on launch with a warning

Engaged ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the following error message: After Effects Warning: Could not rename the file '/Users/jonahlee/Library?Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.0/Worspaces.9216.1407350837851841.xml' to workspaces.xml'.

AfterEffectsMessage.jpg

The strange thing is that the file does not seem to exist. I even checked that directory with the terminal. I have run permissions and restarted, and I am still getting this message. Anyone hae any ideas.

My computer is a MacPro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Interl Xeon with 16 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 Ram running 10.6.3 so that should not be an issue.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have restarted 3 times, and fixed permission 3 times and that has not helped.

I tried running it with Psuedo, so it is runnign with root permissions, and I got the error that the dynamiclinkmanager quite unexpectedle, and it gave me an error message about quicktime not being installed on the system, but seemed to boot anyway.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the workspaces XML file here:

<drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After  Effects/10.0

If After Effects is failing when it tries to rename that file, this might help. The workspaces file is a preferences file that will be rebuilt to the default state if there isn't a file present.

Here's a post about a problem that may be similar, and the steps to addressing it might be similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Actually the file it was saying did not exist, but I trashed the whole folder for 10 and then it booted, except for this error message about quicktime again, which is installed. And because of this, it basically does not function, because it won't open any Quicktime video.

AfterEffectsQuicktimeWarning.jpg

And the Dynamiclinkmanager crashed again as well.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "QuickTime is installed", what do you mean? QuickTime X, QuickTime 7.4? QuickTime 7.6? Details lilke this are helpful for troubleshooting.

I recommend installing QuickTime 7, which is an optional installation for Snow Leopard (Mac OSX v10.6.x). QuickTime X doesn't provide a lot of features that video professionals need and rely on; QuickTime 7 does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd - good to see you're posting here on a Sunday! Thank you. I started a similar thread on this forum titled CS5 Errors: QuickTime not installed.

I'm having the same issues on may laptop, though not on my Mac Pro desktop. Both machines have 10.5.8 with QuickTime Pro 7.6.4 installed.

On the laptop I logged in as another user and the issue is gone. Not an acceptable solution for me however.

I updated to 10.6.3 (with QT 7) and this did not resolve the issue.

After Effects took 4 minutes to launch showing "Initializing Media Core", then reported that QT was not installed, then reporting that Output Modules are missing, then complaining that it cannot write the xml file before finally crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly the same issues, though I also have the dynamiclinkmanager crashing right when I activate CS5. I have posted the console log of what is going on in the thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2779404#2779404

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "QuickTime Isn't Installed" error after the long delay "Initializing Mediacore" is almost certainly a result of attempting to launch when a zombie version of "Adobe QT32 Server" is left running as a result of some other crash or launch failure.

It can easily be remedied by either quitting that process in Activity Monitor or by rebooting, and then re-launching AE.

Let us know if this resolves the problem.
Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I resolved the issue by removing all Preferences from the Adobe directory except the After Effects Prefs.

The QT32 server was then correctly initialized on launch and I replaced the balance of the prefs except the dyamiclinkmanager which was initialized at the same time.

FYI there were no crashes or launch failures preceding the initial launch of After Effects after the install of the CS5 Master Collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved – yeah! I was having this trouble too (I'm Mac Pro, SnowLeopard, AE CS5, AE failed to find Quicktime with my regular user, but worked fine with alternate user account) and mograph_bc ( post 9 ) suggestion for —  'removing all Preferences from the Adobe directory except the After Effects Prefs' — is what FINALLY worked for me, after ~12 hours of Adobe forums research, various repeated failed attempts on my own and several hours of live adobe tech support had not resolved the issue. Adobe gave up before I did, then I found this : ) worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manually set the read/write permissions to all folders and files inside the user/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.0 directory to read and write for Everyone. I also created a Workspaces.xml file, this got me through the launch sequence.

However it still reports that QT is not installed. This is now on 10.6.3 with both QT X and QT 7.6.6 Pro installed.

When I look at the output module templates most are missing, even RAM Preview is unavailable, presumably since it uses QuickTime on the Mac.

missing_modules.png

Looks like Premiere Pro CS5 is also affected, just tried to launch Premiere and its hung (now 4 minutes and counting) at "LoadingImportQuickTime.bundle".

I have the CS5 Master Collection and rarely use Premiere but it must use the same 32 to 64 bit interpretation of QT to make it work.

Update: Premiere launched after 7 minutes. All appeared normal until I imported a QuickTime file (one of the free Artbeats clips). I got an error message reading "The file has no audio or video streams." Cool 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. I deleted the Workspace.xml and everything started as usual. I am using 2 monitors and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it... The default workspace I had set up spanned across both monitors...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same problem with After Effects CS5 AND Flash Pro CS5

and attempted to fix it all day to no avail.

BUT

i finally got it fixed when i upgraded my Mac software, which was Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8, to Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (:

it's only $30 at the Apple Store.

Hope this helps someone!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The fuc.... Flip for Mac was the guilt one. I remove it from quicktime plugin, and voila! All works again. But i keep me asking why this happen after a long time using it without problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines