8 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2010 9:20 AM by John T Smith RSS

Building my 64bit Computer

John T Smith MVP

No benchmarks yet, but what I am doing is at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ASUSP6.TXT

• 1. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
          Harm Millaard Community Member

Looks like a nice system, John. Thanks for reporting. If you have any questions that I may be able to help you with, you know where to find me.

Maybe you can fill me in on one thing: What is your deterrent / abhorrance with overclocking?

• 2. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
            John T Smith MVP

I am more interested in the long term stability of a "stock" system rather than trying to eke out the last bit of performance by overclocking

Just personal preference (and I still haven't found a utility to report on MB temp... the Asus driver CD does have a "probe" program, but it does not show the Cpu/Mb temp) - another time, I'll do some more searching to try and find one for Win7

Right now, I'm still installing software, as I need to do something and the program isn't installed

The place I'm going to buy CS5 now has a listing for Master Collection... but no Add to Cart button since they say the Education version they will sell won't ship until "mid-May" - I'll just have to wait awhile before placing my order

• 3. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
              Bill Gehrke MVP

Try CPUID HWMonitor.  It will give you much more than you want.

• 4. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
                John T Smith MVP

Thanks... have downloaded and will install after I finish a few things

Canon Vixia HF S100 is due tomorrow, so now I am not very patiently waiting for the online store I use to get CS5 ready to sell

Oh well... I can always do some filming to be ready

Added

D/L'd http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php and my temps are (nothing going on, since I don't have CS5)

CPU 4 cores... 93-91-95-86 F

GPU 105 F

320 drives 86 - 89

Guess the Terabyte drive doesn't report temp

Ambient temp in my office is about 70 F

• 5. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
                  John T Smith MVP

Restarted to go into WinXp to test P6.5 and DV500 card, and visited the Bios on the way... hardware monitor gives one CPU temp of 96F - sort of an average of the details of the other program

Anyway... on to video digitizing

Previous computer had Win2k and P6.02 to run the DV500... with an ATI graphics adapter... and I could watch the video in the monitor as it played into the computer from the tape deck

This computer with WinXpSp1a and P6.5... and GTX 285 card... does NOT show the video in the monitor... but it DOES digitize to the hard drive

I tried updating the 285 to the latest XP driver (downloaded last week) and that was a DISASTER since it would not install everything (due to version of XP, I guess?) and I had to go back to the version supplied on the CD

I then installed DirectX 9 (a note on the CD installer mentioned "legacy" software) and the only change in the monitor was a bunch of "garbage" flashed up and stayed, instead of a completely blank screen

When I have more time I'm going to play around with the 285's settings, such as hardware acceleration, to see if that helps

But, since my new AVCHD camera file transfer will be via USB card reader, and that over in Win7 anyway, I'm not goint to spend a lot of time trying to get the capture screen to display anything... I have the DV500 installed 'cause I have a few old VHS tapes I still need to convert to DVD, and I can just start those and make note of the run time and come back when the tape is finished

• 6. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
                    Harm Millaard Community Member

John,

Maybe this is worth looking over:

Adobe Forums: My favorite tools

• 7. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
                      John T Smith MVP

I have some of those tools, including Scenalyzer: http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html for capturing SD material

I found that Scenalyzer did not work very well with the DV500, since every time a "sorta-bad" spot on an old tape was played, Scenalyzer would stop dead

Premiere 6x and the DV500 software would keep right on capturing

I will play with the GTX 285 control panel tonight to see if changing any settings will allow me to see what is being played into the computer... but I'm really not going to worry a lot about this... the tapes DO digitize and save, so just noting start & stop times and making sure I am near while digitizing a tape is not that big a thing for me to do

I may Google for nVidia and Premiere 6 and see if I find notes on a particular driver version that works better... but I'm going to be spending time with CS5 and AVCHD in the future, so the old stuff is just not that important

• 8. Re: Building my 64bit Computer
                        John T Smith MVP

Changing hardware accelleration in the nVidia driver did not help

When I have time I may Google... but since the DV500 and P6.5 were made LONG before the GTX 285 card, it may just be that there is a basic incompatibility that I won't be able to work around

Oh well... the card works and the tapes are digitised... so I'll just set a timer for the length of the tape