Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Changing font while typing in ES2

Level 2

I recently upgraded to ES2 and found what may be a major problem with the program.

When typing within an item on the form, I go to change the size of the font, to bold or italic, or make any other change to the text and when I am done I hit enter which should return the cursor back to where I was typing.  Instead, it does nothing and I have to click in the area with my mouse.  This returns the cursor but it returns the text back to what it was before.  I have been playing with it forever and cannot figure out a way around this.

So, how do you change your font, font size, or any other changes in ES2?  Without being able to do this, ES2 is worthless to me.

10 Replies

Former Community Member

Just tried it in a text box and a caption and it worked fine. Can  you point out the exact steps to make it happen and what object type you are using?

Paul

Level 2

I've tried it in multiple types of objects.

The one I am working with now is a textbox and I am trying to type in a caption at the bottom of the object.

For this particular object, it is a field for an email address.  So I type Email Address with a regular 8 point font.  After that, i need to add a small disclaimer in parenthesis as a 6 point font and in italics.  So, I take my mouse, click on italics and then click on the font point drop down box and choose 6.  After that, I hit enter and in most programs including ES1 that will take you back to where you were typing using the new specifications selected.  In ES2, nothing happens.  I have to manually take my mouse and click back to the spot.  When I do this, it turns it back to an 8 point font, no italics.

Former Community Member

Just tried it and it works fine. I typed in Email Address then changed the font size and clicked the Italics button then continued typing (my cursor never left the field). In your instructions you hit enter which causes a new line (but only one line can be shown). I think if you hit the up arrow you woudl see your original text. It is that extra enter that is causing you the grief.

Paul

Level 2

When I hit enter or up, my cursor does not return to the field, it simply disappears.  If I do nothing and just try to type, my cursor remains in the font size drop down box to the right of the number and whatever I type goes right beside the number.  In ES1, I would hit enter and my cursor would return to where I was typing.

Former Community Member

I am using ES2 and I am not seeing this behaviour. When I start typing the cursor moves with it and when I select different font attributes from the font toolbar the cursor stays in the field. When I continue typing the new text I type has the new font attributes that I just selected. Are you using a different means to change the font size and styling? The cursor never leaves the text that I am typing.

Paul

Level 2

I have both ES1 and ES2 up right now and I even have the same form up and trying to work on the same object in both forms.

In ES1, I can type Email Address, use my mouse to go over to the font toolbar and change whatever.  When I finish my changes, I hit enter and I can continue typing as I was using the new specifications I selected.

In ES2, I type Email Address, use my mouse to go over to the font toolbar.  I hit the i for italics and then hit the dropdown box and select font size 6.  At that moment, my cursor is blinking to the right of the six.  I hit enter and the cursor disappears.  However, it does not return to the field I was typing.  In fact, I cannot find it at all.  The same thing happens when I hit up.  To get back to the field to continue typing, I have to use my mouse to select the object at which time it changes all my font settings back to what they were before.

Former Community Member

Can you go under the Help menu and look at the About LiveCycle Designer and give me the version number. Also can you tell me which OS you are using? I am not seeing this behaviour. I am on 64bit Windows 7.

Paul

Level 2

Paul,

I figured out what I was doing incorrectly.  I was using the font pallette to the righthand side instead of using the font toolbar at the top.  I have always used the font palette in ES1 without issue.  In ES2, I guess I am not able to do that when doing certain things.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Randy

Level 2

Paul,

I have another question regarding fonts.  I believe that there is no way to change the overall default font for the system?  Is that correct?  Is there a reason that has not been added.  It would extremely helpful to be able to set a default font in Livecycle.

Randy

Former Community Member

Each object can have its own default settings. If you want to change the settings simply make all of the changes to the object in question and when you are finished drag it from the drawing palette back into the library. It will ask you for a name. You can create a new object or if you want to replace the old one give it the same name. You will be warned that the object already exists. Go ahead and overwrite it and now when you choose that object it will have your desired settings.

Paul