Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Single Quote displaying as ’

New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using  RH7.02

When I put a Single Quote character sometimes it shows as ’ in our website, can't find a consistent reason for it, like IE version etc.  Sometimes it just works and sometimes it doesn't. Same thing with Double Quotes.  So I went to the HTML view and edited the single and double quote and entered

" for double quote    (")

&#39 for single quote    (')

When I change to Design view they both look fine, but when I switch back to HTML view  the &quot is still there, but the &#39 has changed back to a single quote  (').

Either I need the single quote character always read correctly by browsers OR I need to find a way for my HTML Number to stick in Robo and not translated to a single quote.

I've searched all forums and surprisingly coiuldn't find where anyone else has had this issue.  Please Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you copying and pasting from Word? This is normally where "funny" quotes come from. You can turn off "smart quotes" in Word (an Autoformat as you type option, I think), but I don't think that will fix any existing smart quotes in the Word documents. If it is Word, retyping the quotes in Robohelp will fix it in Robohelp, or I think it should be possible to do a find and replace to change the smart quotes to straight quotes in the Word documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amber,  I'm not cutting and pasting from Word.  I'm typing right in RH7.  Also I edited the html to try to force the correct code.  95% of the time the characters display correctly, then for an unknown reason they will show the strange characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm out of ideas. The only time I've heard this was a problem was copy/pasting from Word, or using Robohelp for Word, rather than Robohelp HTML. And I believe these issues were fixed in 7.01 and 7.02.

Edit: actually, one more thought. Maybe it's an issue with the encoding on the webserver. See Snippet #22 - French characters being replaced by the copyright or other symbols (and other display issues) - on Peter Grainge's site: http://www.grainge.org. (Robohelp > Robohelp 7 > Using Robohelp).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked snippet 22 on PG's site and it was concerning "Opening a Word document".  I searched for "French Characters" and didn't find it.  Can you give me a link?

thanks much,

ds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oops, my bad. I shouldn't have said snippets.

It's under the Robohelp button (Robohelp > Robohelp 7 > Using Robohelp 7). Hopefully this link will work:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh7/using_rh7.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp