Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp files not working on network in Windows 7

New Here ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

my company is in the process of upgrading to Windows 7 and we have a few applications which use RoboHelp

(.chm) files for help which are stored on the network.  In XP everything worked fine but now all the pages display "page cannot be found".  If I copy the files down to my c: drive then they open fine.  Most were created in previous versions of Robohelp so I thought that might be the problem and upgraded one to RoboHelp 7 but that didn't change anything.  I read in other posts that there are some issues with RoboHelp on the network, but I can't avoid that..  Is there some network settings that can be tweaked or is this perhaps fixed in RoboHelp 8?  I can't put forth a request to my boss to upgrade unless I have solid proof it will work..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Hi there

I think Colum misundersood you. I understood you to ask if this is fixed in version 8 meaning "RoboHelp version 8" not Windows 8.

The issue isn't anything really related to RoboHelp. The issue is with Windows. The fact is, for years now CHM files haven't worked when placed on network drives.

If you look at Peter Grainge's topic on the subject at ( http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm ) you will see that he is linking to Microsoft Knowledge Base articles dated June

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has nothing to do with RH - it's a Windows security setting that's foiled your attempt to run a CHM from a server. There is a registry tweak that can be done, but it's usually not practical for clients to have to do it to see the CHM. Search the forums for the hack or Peter Grange's site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, well that's helpful thank you.. but this update was supposedly implemented in 2005, why is it only starting to happen now, when switching to Windows 7?  See, The program has links to these files on the network.  When the program is run on XP the .chm files can be viewed fine.  When the program is run on Windows 7 the .chm pages say "page cannot be displayed" that's why I thought it was an incompatability issue.

If so then is there any chance it is fixed in version 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's difficult for anyone here to answer. Possibilities are that not all the Windows updates were applied or that the registry was hacked. Anyway that doesn't help going forward. As for Windows 8, that question is best aimed in the general direction of Seattle. I doubt much will change though.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think Colum misundersood you. I understood you to ask if this is fixed in version 8 meaning "RoboHelp version 8" not Windows 8.

The issue isn't anything really related to RoboHelp. The issue is with Windows. The fact is, for years now CHM files haven't worked when placed on network drives.

If you look at Peter Grainge's topic on the subject at ( http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm ) you will see that he is linking to Microsoft Knowledge Base articles dated June 2005. So this change was initially implemented by Microsoft five years ago and you are just now encountering it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much.  I will contact the people in charge of registry settings and see if they had employed the fix in XP but not in Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp