• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 7 generates two breadcrumbs

New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH 7.03.001 and recently one of our projects "developed" a second line of breadcrumbs. There are several people working on the project, so I don't know what or whose action might have caused this. The process involves a lot of downloading and reuploading, but I don't think that should have any impact on my problem. (The full process is: download source from server, edit and build locally, upload build and source back to the server.)

What happened is that each topic in that project now has one or several scripts at the beginning and the end of the page (marked by red squares in the Design View). The script at the top generates a breadcrumb, and when we build the project (with "Add Breadcrumb Links" selected) we get the second one. Simply deleting the scripts solves the problem, but the project has 500+ files so that's not feasible. (Too much work to do it manually, and the Search and Replace feature can't handle such long strings.)

I've found a few possible solutions on this forum, but so far nothing worked.

* I've deleted the .js files in the project and from the hard drive, no change.

* Another solution is mentioned here ("One of the Breadcrumb trails is being created by virtue of a Placeholder associated with a Master Page while the other is a global setting during generation. You might wish to try editing the Master Page, then removing and re-inserting the Placeholder."), but I haven't figured out exactly what that means. As far as I understand, master pages were introduced in RH8 and they are called templates in RH7, but I don't know where to look for them and what to look for.

* I also found "Are you absolutely sure you imported source files into the project rather than output files? The clue will be a red square near the beginning of the topics." here, but I'm told no one imported files in RH recently (unless I'm misunderstanding the question...)

In the worst situation, we will retrieve an older version of the project, but I'd like to at least know what's causing this to avoid it in the future.

Any help is appreciated. By the way, I've only started working in RH a few months ago, so my knowledge is not very advanced.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Likely what has happened is that you have managed to overlay your source files with the published output files. This is like baking a batch of cocolate chip cookies. Taking the cookies and crumbling them up and dropping them back into the bowl with cookie dough.

How to clean up this mess is outlined at the link below.

Click here to view

Cheers and happy housekeeping! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I think you're right, and I figured out why the folders looked funny to me... The so-called source folder has the usual subfolders (!Language! etc), but also whdata, whgdata... Looks like our download/reupload procedure finally proved fatal and someone overwrote the source files with the build ones...

As far as I understand, the only way of solving this is manually removing all the scripts and basically redoing the project, or finding a backup. Right? I am so very glad my company regularly backs up the files, because it's a huge project and it would be nigh-impossible to redo from scratch.

Thank you very much, I will pass this info on to the rest of my team and tell them to be very, very careful when uploading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, threaten to kill them!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, actually I will push forward and hope to God we can get RoboSource Control working sooner rather than later, before any other projects have the same fate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

Life is full of trade offs. In this case, once you make that move you will simply be trading these issues for new and improved Source Control related issues.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, stop being so encouraging...

Honestly, the process is so horrible now I welcome source control problems. As long as I don't have to spend half the day downloading, uploading and reuploading files... (Trying to work on an US server from EU on tiny bandwidth is not for the faint of heart.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp