• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I open a Captivate .exe from a RoboHelp output?

New Here ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'd really appreciate some advice on working with RoboHelp and Captivate (in the Tech Comms Suite). I have to revamp the training course for our application and I'm wanting to create the videos in Captivate (to create a simulation of the application) and then pull them all together in RoboHelp. As it's a complicated engineering application, there will be multiple tasks for each module.

The application is set to a full screen size of 1024 x 768 so, in order to see the whole screen, I'd like the Captivate videos to play in full screen mode.

Having searched the forums, I've found out that I can't launch a Captivate .exe from WebHelp but it may be possible to launch it from HTML Help.

Can anyone offer any advice for a complete beginner?!

Thanks, in great anticipation!

Loulers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Loulers.

You don't need to launch the captivate.exe file in order to include your Captivate movies inside the help. You may want to check out this link in the help which explains what you need to do.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Thanks for such a quick reply. I've gone through the link and it is really useful but unfortunately, the captivate movie is still shown in a frame so you need to use the scroll bars to see all parts of the application that's been recorded.

I'm now looking at embedded the .swf files into a PDF so that I can use the 'full screen' option that's available within the PDF.

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to host the SWF files on a central location (e.g. server) and hyperlink to them from your RH project. This would enable you to open the simulations in a new browser window and run them in full screen mode.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

I've tried this option and I think that might be the way for me to set up my projects.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

I've tried the approach you suggested and using the Captivate output to HTML full screen is definitely my best option.

My next question (I'm sure you'd already guessed there would be more!) is what is the best way to import or link to the Captivate HTML page?

So far, I've tried adding the 3 Captivate files to the RoboHelp baggage and then creating a hyperlink from one of my topics to the _sf.html file. This means that a new page is opened in the browser with the text 'Click here to open in full screen window'. You then have to click this link to open the Captivate video.

I've found reference in some forum discussions to the option of importing the Captivate HTML file as a new topic. Although I can't edit this new topic I can add it to the Table of Contents; so, you select it from the contents rather than using a hyperlink to the HTML file. Does this method also add all the necessary Captivate files to the RoboHelp baggage files?

My overall concern is that I could end up with anything from 30 to 80 Captivate videos in a single RoboHelp project and I've seen comments in the forums about issues of RoboHelp crashing when there are a large number of baggage files.

As always, any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch! Up to 80 movies in a single project? I've not had anywhere near that number in a project. I guess a lot depends on their length and therefore file size but this does seem like a lot. The issue with loads of baggage files is something to consider although you'd probably be OK with 80. Is there any option open to split the projects up or host the captivate files elsewhere and link to them. Importing the .HTM file also imported the SWF file so there is no problem there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I wondered if that might be the reaction for that many videos in a project!

The problem is, we host the training course at our premises so there should be no problem with hosting the .swf files somewhere else and then linking to them. However, when we go to client premises, we generally have no idea what server options are available to us, if there are any network access restrictions or if everyone will be accessing the network. The current training program is installed directly onto client machines/laptops.

If we could host the .swf files elsewhere, I take it that would remove the need to have them in the baggage files? Could I then still create a hyperlink which would open the .swf in the full screen browser?

Sorry to be asking so many question of you Colum but as you can probably tell, I'm completely new to Tech Comms Suite and have sole responsibility for developing the training course!

Thanks again

Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Aside from the big ole scary number, I don't see a problem with having 80 videos. Heck, I'm planning a project where I'll likely have between 150 to 200 videos. I'm not sure yet of the number as the project is in its infancy. But I see no cause for alarm.

If you were creating CHM output you might be concerned because of the sheer file size it would result in. But if you are working with WebHelp or FlashHelp output, the additional files are just files and it shouldn't matter if there are ten or a thousand. After all, they will be stored on a server, no?

My thought is by adding the files to baggage and allowing them to flow through the generate and possibly publish process, you are alleviating yourself of some management tasks and possible troubleshooting down the road. But that's just me.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick

Thanks for your comments on the issue. If you're planning a project that size I don't feel quite so bad with my meagre 80 videos now!

I'll try building a sample project so that I can start adding the videos into the baggage files and I'll update the post if I find any issues.

Thank you both for your help.

Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp