Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How in the World can you embed Fonts?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ladies and gents,

we have just integrated textflow in rather larger Flex/Flash dynamic Framework. All is working out quite well, except for the embed fonts issue. We spend hours after hours trying to make it work ... no dice.

Could you pretty pretty please describe one more time the best practice to use dynamically loaded fonts with TLF?

a) the most practicle way of using dynamic fonts would be to load SWFs at runtime ... am I correct?

So we bought newest Flash CS4, hoping to have cff=true  Option with embedding fonts.

[Embed(source='C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/Arial.ttf', fontName='_Arial',  cff='true')]
  public static var _Arial:Class;

--> does not work, Flash tells us: cff not supported by flex2.compiler.media.FontTranscoder'

What Flash CS4 has to do with Flex of any compilation escapes me, but you guys probably know, why you did it.

b) from lots of tipps in Forums I read, Installing Flex Gumbo might be of help. Tried that, too, including the new SDK (last stable build, then last nightly build) in Flex Compiler 3.2. But it is not the best solution, since Gumbo functions different in quite some ways and we would have to rewrite most of our framework, which we will not manage in short time.

c) we looked through most examples posted ages ago and they partly do not work with current stable and nightly builds any more, since too much has changed.

So - I would greatly appreciate your help, with a current and working example or approach of how to do it, since we have to deliver out the new solution and really, not being able to include any fonts at all with TLF is quite a dealbreaker for our customers.

See it as desperate cry for help after an incredible amount of frustrating head banging on the issue and wolfing through tons of "help" pages with having only humble abilities in understanding English language.

TOPICS
Text layout framework

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi,

Your concerns about using Flex Gumbo SDK may be addressed on the Flex forum.

Assuming you are unable to use Flex Gumbo SDK for your entire project, you can still use it for font embedding.

1. Create a separate Flex 4 project whose output is a Flash .swf file that embeds the fonts you need.

2. Use the fonts .swf in a Flex 3 project

These steps are outlined in this blog post: http://blogs.adobe.com/tlf/2008/11/

For now, I would recommend using the Flex Gumbo SDK Beta1 build of a bug introduced in a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Your concerns about using Flex Gumbo SDK may be addressed on the Flex forum.

Assuming you are unable to use Flex Gumbo SDK for your entire project, you can still use it for font embedding.

1. Create a separate Flex 4 project whose output is a Flash .swf file that embeds the fonts you need.

2. Use the fonts .swf in a Flex 3 project

These steps are outlined in this blog post: http://blogs.adobe.com/tlf/2008/11/

For now, I would recommend using the Flex Gumbo SDK Beta1 build of a bug introduced in a later build.

Hope this helps,

Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhishek,

thanks for your prompt response. Your approach really worked and I will post the complete working code, if anyone is interested. IT IS POSSIBLE to use dynamically embedded fonts

1) create a ActionsScript Project in Flex and Export into Release Build as swf. Use GUMBO SDK, if earlier than 7400, use cff="true", if later use

embedAsCFF="true" (avoiding that compiler2 error warning)

package

{

import flash.display.Sprite;

import flash.text.Font;

public class lib_font_2 extends Sprite

{

[

Embed(source="assets/Arial.otf", fontFamily="ArialEmbedded", cff="true")]

public const ArialEmbeddedFont:Class;

public function lib_font_2()

{

Font.registerFont(ArialEmbeddedFont);

}

}

}

2) in Flex, use a simple Loader, load the external swf and on loading done the font can be used by referencing in Tlf e.g.

fontFamily='ArialEmbedded' fontLookup='embeddedCFF'

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2010 Jan 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank u . I am a beginner pls send me th code in flex for loading fonts when loading page(I failed to get th font names from enumerateFont object)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2010 Jan 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: create a javascript file, that you directly convert to swf, using

Flash-10 (otherwise the cff="true" does not work).

Include the fontWeight="bold" if necessary.

package

{

import flash.text.Font;

public class Ext_gillsans_bold extends Sprite

{

[Embed(source="assets/property/tops/gillsans_bold.ttf",

fontFamily="gillsans_bold", cff="true")]

public const font:Class;

public function Ext_gillsans_bold()

{

try{

Font.registerFont(font);

}catch (e:Error){

trace("cannot register: "+font);

}

}

}

}

Secondly, load in Flex using a common loader (Loader e.g.):

Thirdly, use by entering attribute into xml used for the TextFlow, e.g.

fontFamily="gillsans_bold" fontLookup="embeddedCFF"

If you have further questions, let me know.

Best,

Jo Klappenbach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, like Abhishekkollam, am still having issues.  I can load the swf containing the font but when I enumerate fonts it doesn't show up.  Here's my app code that loads in the font swf:

protected var loader:Loader;
protected function application1_creationCompleteHandler(event:FlexEvent):void
{
     loader = new Loader();
     loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, fontLoadedHandler);
     var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest('http://aaronhardy.com/transfer/Fonter.swf');
     var loaderContext:LoaderContext = new LoaderContext(false, ApplicationDomain.currentDomain);
     loader.load(request, loaderContext);
}

protected function fontLoadedHandler(event:Event=null):void
{
     trace('----------');
     var fonts:Array = Font.enumerateFonts(false);
     trace(fonts); // empty array
     trace('----------');
     //editor.textFlow.flowComposer.swfContext = ISWFContext(editor.getContext('Verdana'));
     editor.textFlow.fontLookup = FontLookup.EMBEDDED_CFF;
     editor.textFlow.renderingMode = RenderingMode.CFF;
     editor.textFlow.fontFamily = 'Verdana';
     editor.textFlow.flowComposer.updateAllControllers();
}

Here's the code of the class containing the font:

package
{
     import flash.system.Security;
     import flash.text.Font;

public class Fonter extends Sprite
     {
          [Embed(
               source="verdana.ttf",
               fontFamily="Verdana",
               embedAsCFF="true"
          )]
          public const Verdana:Class;

public function Fonter():void
          {
               super();
               Font.registerFont(Verdana);
               trace(fonts) // This shows Verdana as a registered font
          }
     }
}

Ideas?  For the life of me I feel like I've tried everything and searched everywhere.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a suggestion: Can you arrange to call Font.registerFont(Fonter.Verdana) in the parent swf instead of the child?  You'll have to reach into the child swf and get the definition using event.target.applicationDomain.getDefinition in your fontLoadedHandler.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another suggestion: Are you sure, you are using the right compiler for the

font-swf? It shoudl read: cff="true", not embedAsCFF="true".

Jo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe embedAsCff is the right tag.  cff is the old one.  At least that's true for Flex 4.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried that as well:

var Fonter:Class = event.currentTarget.applicationDomain.getDefinition("Fonter") as Class;
var VerdanaClass:Class = Fonter.Verdana;
Font.registerFont(VerdanaClass);

When it gets to Font.registerFont it says

ArgumentError: Error #1508: The value specified for argument font is
invalid.
    at flash.text::Font$/registerFont()
    at TLFTester/fontLoadedHandler()

But it gets crazier.  So then I figure, well, how about I make my font class that I load in implement ISWFContext and pass that to flowComposer's swfContext property.  There's a great example at the bottom of this page:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flashx/textLayout/compose/ISWFContext.html

So I make the font class implement ISWFContext and then in my app I have the following:

var fonter:Object = loader.content;
trace(describeType(fonter));
trace(fonter is ISWFContext);
editor.textFlow.flowComposer.swfContext = ISWFContext(fonter);

On the describeType trace it shows:

<type name="Fonter" base="flash.display::Sprite" isDynamic="false" isFinal="false" isStatic="false">
  <metadata name="__go_to_ctor_definition_help">
    <arg key="file" value="C:\Development\TLF\Fonter\src\Fonter.as"/>
    <arg key="pos" value="371"/>
  </metadata>
  <metadata name="__go_to_definition_help">
    <arg key="file" value="C:\Development\TLF\Fonter\src\Fonter.as"/>
    <arg key="pos" value="169"/>
  </metadata>
  <extendsClass type="flash.display::Sprite"/>
  <extendsClass type="flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer"/>
  <extendsClass type="flash.display::InteractiveObject"/>
  <extendsClass type="flash.display::DisplayObject"/>
  <extendsClass type="flash.events::EventDispatcher"/>
  <extendsClass type="Object"/>
  <implementsInterface type="flash.display::IBitmapDrawable"/>
  <implementsInterface type="flashx.textLayout.compose::ISWFContext"/>

Notice it shows the class as implementing ISWFContext as planned.  But on the next line I trace whether fonter is ISWFContext and it reports false.  On the next line where I attempt to cast it to ISWFContext I get the following error:

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert Fonter@a32ce81 to flashx.textLayout.compose.ISWFContext.
     at TLFTester/fontLoadedHandler()

I'm going crazy over here.  The app is built using the flex 3.3 sdk.  The font swf is built using the flex 4 sdk.  The textLayout.swc should be the same (I pulled the textLayout.swc from the flex 4 sdk to use in our flex 3.3 app).

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, does Adobe offer some type of official support?  We'd gladly pay some sort of consulting rate as this is a large, expensive project and these types of quirks are holding us back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

have the solution for you: http://www.skycoversum.de/skyco9/test3/

There is two tricks in using external fonts:
a) the fonts are NOT displayed in debug mode. So export and integrate in website, it works.
b) you have to create at least one TextFlow AFTER the font inclusion. Obviously textflow stores the fonts internally, so you have to rebuild textflow once after font is loaded. All other textflows afterwards are able to use the font immidiately after, by updateAllControllers.
c) the link you offered for font inclusion contains a file that does not work for me. Please try 'http://www.skycoversum.de/skyco9/test3/Fverdana.swf'
d) I include the code (pretty much your original code):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" creationComplete="init()">

<mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
            import flashx.textLayout.conversion.TextConverter;
            import flashx.undo.UndoManager;
            import flashx.textLayout.edit.EditManager;
            import flashx.textLayout.container.ContainerController;
            import flashx.textLayout.elements.TextFlow;
            import flash.text.engine.RenderingMode;
            import flash.text.engine.FontLookup;
            import mx.events.FlexEvent;

protected var editor:Sprite;
            protected var _textFlow:TextFlow;

static private const simpleText:String = "<TextFlow firstBaselineOffset='lineHeight' xmlns='http://ns.adobe.com/textLayout/2008' fontSize='70' textIndent='15' tabStops='100 150 200' marginBottom='15' paddingTop='4' paddingLeft='4' fontLookup='embeddedCFF' fontFamily='Verdana' renderingMode='cff'>"
                   + "<p tabStops='100 150 200'><span tabStops='100 150 200'>There are many </span><span fontStyle='italic'>such</span><span> lime-kilns in that tract of country, for the purpose of burning the white marble which composes a large part of the substance of the hills. Some of them, built years ago, and long deserted, with weeds growing in the vacant round of the interior, which is open to the sky, and grass and wild-flowers rooting themselves into the chinks of the stones, look already like relics of antiquity, and may yet be overspread with the lichens of centuries to come. Others, where the lime-burner still feeds his daily and nightlong fire, afford points of interest to the wanderer among the hills, who seats himself on a log of wood or a fragment of marble, to hold a chat with the solitary man. It is a lonesome, and, when the character is inclined to thought, may be an intensely thoughtful occupation; as it proved in the case of Ethan Brand, who had mused to such strange purpose, in days gone by, while the fire in this very kiln was burning.</span></p>"
                + "<p><span>The man who now watched the fire was of a different order, and troubled himself with no thoughts save the very few that were requisite to his business. At frequent intervals, he flung back the clashing weight of the iron door, and, turning his face from the insufferable glare, thrust in huge logs of oak, or stirred the immense brands with a long pole. Within the furnace were seen the curling and riotous flames, and the burning marble, almost molten with the intensity of heat; while without, the reflection of the fire quivered on the dark intricacy of the surrounding forest, and showed in the foreground a bright and ruddy little picture of the hut, the spring beside its door, the athletic and coal-begrimed figure of the lime-burner, and the half-frightened child, shrinking into the protection of his father's shadow. And when again the iron door was closed, then reappeared the tender light of the half-full moon, which vainly strove to trace out the indistinct shapes of the neighboring mountains; and, in the upper sky, there was a flitting congregation of clouds, still faintly tinged with the rosy sunset, though thus far down into the valley the sunshine had vanished long and long ago.</span></p>"
                 + "</TextFlow>";

protected function init():void{
                editor = new Sprite();
                this.rawChildren.addChild(editor);
                // either start font loading:
                application1_creationCompleteHandler(null);
                // or start textFlow immidiately:
                //textFlow = TextConverter.importToFlow(simpleText, TextConverter.TEXT_LAYOUT_FORMAT);
            }
            protected function get textFlow():TextFlow{
                return _textFlow;
            }
            protected function set textFlow(newFlow:TextFlow):void{
                _textFlow = newFlow;
                _textFlow.flowComposer.addController(new ContainerController(editor,600,400));
                _textFlow.interactionManager = new EditManager(new UndoManager());
                _textFlow.flowComposer.updateAllControllers();
            }
            {
                 loader = new Loader();
                 loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, fontLoadedHandler);
                 var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest('http://www.skycoversum.de/skyco9/test3/Fverdana.swf');
                 var loaderContext:LoaderContext = new LoaderContext(false, ApplicationDomain.currentDomain);
            }

protected function fontLoadedHandler(event:Event=null):void
            {
                 trace('----------');
                 trace(fonts); // empty array
                 trace('----------');
                 textFlow = TextConverter.importToFlow(simpleText, TextConverter.TEXT_LAYOUT_FORMAT);
                 /*
                 this.textFlow.fontLookup = FontLookup.EMBEDDED_CFF;
                 this.textFlow.renderingMode = RenderingMode.CFF;
                 this.textFlow.fontFamily = 'Verdana';
                 this.textFlow.flowComposer.updateAllControllers();
                */
            }

]]>
    </mx:Script>

</mx:Application>

Font Definition File:

package
{
     import flash.system.Security;
     import flash.text.Font;

public class Fverdana extends Sprite
     {
          [Embed(
               source="assets/verdana.ttf",
               fontFamily="Verdana",
               embedAsCFF="true"
          )]
          public const Verdana:Class;

public function Fverdana():void
          {
               super();
               Font.registerFont(Verdana);
               trace(fonts); // This shows Verdana as a registered font
          }
     }
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, this issue creeping up, yet again.

• First, you need to compile your application with the Flex 4 SDK. ISWFContext is not part of SDK 3.3 and was added AFTER the beta 2 release of Flash Builder 4 (final release build unless you are keeping track of the nightlies).
  • You are going to have issues using the TLF framework with Flex 3.3 because the TLF released with the final build of Flash Builder 4 introduces the ISWFContext and the issues around this. To circumvent this, use the TLF build that was released with Flash Builder 4 beta 2, around November of 2009.
  • Second, there is a bug in the framework. Fonts are not properly dealt with in the final Flex 4 SDK.
  • ISWFContext should ONLY be necessary if you do not intend to register the font yourself. The only reason to use ISWFContext is if you are loading, at runtime, the SWF file through Flex and not calling Font.registerFont(). Consider this another bug in the framework
  • If you are using Font.registerFont, you will need to override the GlobalSettings lookup to determine whether or not the font is an embedded font or a dynamic font. This is a hack, at best, because it shouldn't matter because in this case, you are registering the font yourself and you shouldn't need to add it to the registry within the Flex framework. It should just work.
  • GlobalSettings.resolveFontLookup was introduced after FB4 beta 2 so, again, you will need to build against Flex 4 release for this to all work (and it does work but it's still somewhat busted).

Unfortunately, there is no publically avialable best practice that I've seen to deal with runtime font loading if you are registering the font yourself. Some links below that may help with this issue:

My original post on the topic:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2753744#2753744

Another post regarding this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2672002

A reasoning and a potential workaround (if you are using Font.registerFont yourself this is not applicable)

http://marcel-panse.blogspot.com/2010/03/embedded-fonts-in-tlf-and-swfcontexts.html

The related bug in the framework:

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-26187

It's pretty maddening if you ask me. While I appreciate Adobe opening this up to the community SDK, it's still a broken issue. Registering fonts manually by yourself is a 100% valid approach to dealing with runtime loaded fonts. It's a native player feature and the Flex 4 SDK breaks this core feature.

The combination of the GlobalSettings.resolveFontLookup override AND setting an ISWFContext (even if one is not even available) will allow for the fonts to work if you use mixed fonts in a spark RichEditableText area (a valid approach). You only need to set one of them - if you use 30 different fonts in the same text area, they'll all magically start working provided they are loaded from the same domain.

Alternately, I've found another potential work around in that if you create a new instance of the font after it's been loaded (in your main.mxml or somewhere) such as myfont = new FontClassYouLoaded() then it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jo, when I attempt to load your font swf (http://www.skycoversum.de/skyco9/test3/Fverdana.swf) I get the following runtime error:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class mx.core::FontAsset could not be found.

Interestingly enough, I also get the same error when I browse directly to that address in a browser.

----------------

bustback,

Thanks for the details of the problems you ran into.  I figured I'd run into the same problem with dealing with multiple fonts and only being able to specify a single swf context.  I figured I'd get one working and then worry about getting it to work with multiple.  But, it looks it would be much simpler just to get Font.registerFont working.  So far it's failed me at every avenue.

I've recreated my projects just to make sure I've narrowed down the scope.  I'm also building both the font library (the swf that gets loaded in) and the main app in Flex 3.3. I'm not even worrying about the text flow yet.  I just want to be able to load in a font swf, register the font, then enumerate the fonts and see it listed as an embedded font in the main app.

When calling Font.registerFont(), I get the following error:

ArgumentError: Error #1508: The value specified for argument font is invalid.
    at flash.text::Font$/registerFont()
    at FontApp/completeHandler()

Here's my code for the app:

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" minWidth="955" minHeight="600"
                    creationComplete="application1_creationCompleteHandler(event)">
          <![CDATA[

{
                    loader = new Loader();
                    loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, completeHandler);
                    var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest('http://aaronhardy.com/transfer/FontLib.swf');
               }

protected function completeHandler(event:Event):void
               {
                    var FontLib:Class = event.currentTarget.applicationDomain.getDefinition("FontLib") as Class;
                    var Arial:Class = FontLib.ARIAL_FONT;
                    Font.registerFont(Arial);

trace(fonts);

}
          ]]>

and here's the code for the font library:

package
{
     import flash.text.Font;

public class FontLib extends Sprite
     {
          [Embed(
               source="arial.ttf",
               fontFamily="Arial"
          )]
          public static const ARIAL_FONT:Class;

public function FontLib()
          {
               super();
          }
     }
}

I've tried both verdana and arial fonts that I've pulled from my C:\Windows\Fonts folder and it always throws the error.  Once I get this resolved I should be able to get started with the text flow integration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would, try this adress http://www.skycoversum.de/skyco9/test3/. It

plainly shows a dynamically loaded Verdana,. See above stated source to

apply.

Cheers, Jo Klappenbach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jo, I see that yours is working, but mine isn't.  I don't know why.  I copy your code word for word and I still get the error when I run the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Are you sure, that you compile the font .as code as swf purely, not mxml,

just Flash? Direct swf output from Flex as ActionScript Project? Just Export

as is, using compiler settings req. version at least 10.0.12.

2) Are you sure in mxml project settings compilation you have set to at

least 10.0.12?

3) Other than that I could only imagine your font being corrupt, maybe try

another. With some font cuts you have to add fontWeight="bold" in above in (1) mentioned definition

file (obviously the font cuts that are bold).

I used Flex_4_0_0_8702 for the samples.

Cheers, Jo Klappenbach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jo for helping me off-list a bit.  I think I have this wrapped up and working sufficiently.

First of all, I didn't end up using the ISWFContext stuff at all.

Second, I still don't know why I'm getting the "VerifyError: Error #1014: Class mx.core::FontAsset could not be found." with your projects.  I continue to get that error regardless of the sdk I use and where I deploy the swfs.

I figured since I got the "FontAsset could not be found" error both locally and remotely that I'd get "The value specified for argument font is invalid." error locally and remotely as well, but that's not true.  I would get the error when the font swf was on the remote server, the app loading the font swf was running locally (without an http server), AND trying to register the font from the main app.  If I didn't try to register the font from the main app but just tried registering it from the font swf itself, I wouldn't get an error, but the font wouldn't show up as a registered font in the main app, probably because it was being loaded into a different security domain.  In the end, it ended up working with just registering the font from the font swf--no need to register the font from the main app.

I still think it's crazy that, when running the main app locally, I could load the remote font swf, instantiate the class, etc., but when I went to register the font I would get "The value specified for argument font is invalid."  Seems like a very general (misleading?) error for something quite specific.

Thanks for your help!

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought.  You don't have to use mx.core.fontAsset to embed a font.  You can do it like this:

import flash.text.Font;

[Embed(mimeType="application/x-font", exportSymbol="myArial_medium_normal", embedAsCFF="true", source="arial.ttf", fontName="myArial")]
public class myArial_medium_normal extends Font
{ }

Looking back through the thread it seems like you've been down this path though.

From what I've learned this is an issue of mixing Flex 3 and Flex 4.  No?

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej Aaron,

actually I would propose to throw out the evaluation and enumaration of

fonts in the font class altogether. It works if you register or not.

So actually I am at a little loss here, what the current problem is ... or

are you happy?

Sorry, have little time ... but if I can be of help, just state so.

Cheers,

Jo Klappenbach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey.  Yeah, that enumeration was just for debugging purposes.  I'm good now.  I couldn't ever get your projects to work, but that's okay.  Mine works if I make sure I upload both the app swf and the font swf to a remote server (or if I load it in as binary and then load the binary into a swfloader).

I really appreciate your willingness to help.  That's very commendable.  Thanks!

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jo, I've published my copy of your example app here: http://aaronhardy.com/transfer/ForumApp/ForumApp.html  You can right-click to view the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this is not working for you.

Couple potential issues in your code:

• Remove static from the class in the font file. Just use public const.
  • Try Font.registerFont(ARIAL_FONT) within the constructor instead

Other than that, I've never had to deal with application domain and all that after the font has been loaded up... try event.target.loader.content within the complete handler to reference the loaded class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've tried those variations.  Here's what I get:

Using this code in the font lib:

package
{
     import flash.text.Font;

public class FontLib extends Sprite
     {
          [Embed(
               source="arial.ttf",
               fontFamily="Arial"
          )]
          public const ARIAL_FONT:Class;

public function FontLib()
          {
               super();
               Font.registerFont(ARIAL_FONT);
               trace('from lib', fonts);
          }
     }
}

and this code in my main app:

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" minWidth="955" minHeight="600"
                    creationComplete="application1_creationCompleteHandler(event)">
          <![CDATA[

{
                    loader = new Loader();
                    loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, completeHandler);
                    var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest('http://aaronhardy.com/transfer/FontLib.swf');
                    new LoaderContext(true, ApplicationDomain.currentDomain, SecurityDomain.currentDomain);
                    loader.load(request);
               }

protected function completeHandler(event:Event):void
               {
                    //Font.registerFont(Object(loader.content).ARIAL_FONT);
                    //var FontLib:Class = event.currentTarget.applicationDomain.getDefinition("FontLib") as Class;
                    trace('from main', fonts);
               }
          ]]>

I get the following output:

from lib [object Font],[object FontLib_ARIAL_FONT]
from main

Notice no embedded font in the main app.

If I use the same code as above but use Font.registerFont(Object(loader.content).ARIAL_FONT); I still get the "The value specified for argument font is invalid." error.

I really appreciate your followups.

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines