Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to specific cells in an Excel spreadsheet no longer working

May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RoboHelp HTML version 7 and just upgraded to MS Office 2007.  I have project that contains hyperlinks to specific cells in an Excel spreadsheet using the following syntax: <a HREF="../file_name.xls#cell_name">  (a tip I found on Peter Grainge's website).  This worked fine with Office 2003.

With Office 2007, however, the hyperlink opens the Excel spreadsheet to the first cell on the first tab regardless of the the #cell_name suffix.  I've tried the following with no success:

• delete the .xls baggage file, convert the .xls to the newer .xlsx format, add the .xlsx as a baggage file, rename the hyperlinks to .xlsx (in HTML view), generate new output
  • same as above but re-creating the hyperlinks (rather than just renaming)

When I preview the topic, the hyperlink is active but does not open the spreadsheet (topic cannot be found).  In the generated output, the hyperlink is not even a hyperlink (just plain old text).

Another unusual behavior (I have no idea if this is related) -- before I tried to fix this, when the original spreadsheet (.xls) opened in "compatibility mode," it was not maximized in Excel's window.  When I used to open this in Office 2003, it was always maximized.

Does anyone know if the #cell_name suffix works in Office 2007?  Is there another way to link to a specific cell?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to contact Sheela who shared the method but it looks like she has moved on. Sorry.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

As I understand it, the "X" on the 2007 stuff signifies a format similar to a zipped format. If what I understand is true, it would seem to make sense that this would also somewhat preclude linking in the manner you are speaking of. It would be akin to opening a specific document after first opening the zip archive.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahhh... thanks for the info. Bummer though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp