Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JRE 1.6 requirement

New Here ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've tried to read everything I can about AirHelp as we've never used it, but need to confirm a few things.

Is it just the developer that needs JRE 1.6 to develop the AirHelp?  If you are distributing the AirHelp to the end-user do they also have to have JRE 1.6 to view the Help?  Do they need any other specific requirements?

Also, I've read several postings about troubles viewing Captivates within AirHelp.  Are there any other stumbling blocks that we should consider before deciding on AirHelp instead of regular WebHelp?

We're interested in AirHelp due to the auto-updating and favorites features which appear not to be available in the browser based version of AirHelp (which would have been our first choice).

Thanks very much,

Susan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sue. It is only the developer that need JRE 1.6. Both the developer and the user need the AIR runtime file (the equivalent of PDF reader or Flash viewer.

I have been able to view Captivate successfully. The recent posts have been about FLV and Excel file problems.

Is your application a desktop or Web app? This will make a big difference in how you deploy. Desktop is easier, bit I have a tip document that will help with Web apps.

Good luck,

Becky Williams

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

On May 13, 2010 7:04 AM, SueKL <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Hi,

I've tried to read everything I can about AirHelp as we've never used it, but need to confirm a few things.

Is it just the developer that needs JRE 1.6 to develop the AirHelp?  If you are distributing the AirHelp to the end-user do they also have to have JRE 1.6 to view the Help?  Do they need any other specific requirements?

Also, I've read several postings about troubles viewing Captivates within AirHelp.  Are there any other stumbling blocks that we should consider before deciding on AirHelp instead of regular WebHelp?

We're interested in AirHelp due to the auto-updating and favorites features which appear not to be available in the browser based version of AirHelp (which would have been our first choice).

Thanks very much,

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Not sure when you say application if you mean the app we're building the Help for or how we want to deploy the Help?  The application we're designing the Help for is a web application.  We've always used WebHelp so we don't have to send files to end-users.  After reading about Adobe Air and the auto-updating and favorites features -- that sounded good.  I would prefer to create Help with a browser based version on the Web but it appears that the features we're after (auto-update, favorites) aren't available in the browser based version of AirHelp (just from what I've read).  Any tips on either version would be greatly appreciated as we're new to AirHelp but not to RoboHelp.

Thanks again,

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser-based won't give you the features you want from AIRHelp. I will email you when I arrive at work. You will need the tip document since the application you are building Help for is Web.

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue

There is a quite a lot of information on AIR help on my site that may help you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to the tip document, you'll also need the badge file (specific to RH) and the JavaScript file from the SDK: http://coslab16.harris.com/AIR_Help/AIRFilesForWebDeployment.zip. Let me know if there are any issues with security. This is a temporary location as I am leaving the company on May 28th. Please copy to your hard drive.

I've already talked to Ankur Jain, RoboHelp product manager, about writing this up for their site, so it will become more official at a later date.

Until then, you should be able to get started exploring whether this will suit your needs.

Notes:

The ability to do Airplane Help is not part of this badge.swf. I'm working with someone on getting that added, so there should be an update to the file in the future (hopefully before we post to Adobe's site). If you don't use Airplane Help, then you can use this file. It will allow context-sensistivity via the map number parameter.

I'm also still working to get an easy way to change the image so that it can be your Help button within the Web application. I used a tool on Adobe's site, but the resolution was out of whack. For now, you get a standard image that allows it to work, but isn't the prettiest thing. It will work for your testing, though.

As he said, Peter has much more good information on the AIRHelp output on his site. My instruction is specific to implementation with a Web application. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Thanks,

Becky Williams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp