1 2 Previous Next 73 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 4:32 AM by SuhasYogin RSS

"Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

BenLeffler

Help! I have an FLA which CS5 has apparently corrupted on a save... (When you load up the FLA in CS5, it now fails and sends "Flash can not parse this document" to the output window.

Unfortunately I only found the corrupted nature of this file AFTER I had conducted my regular routine of backing up my files - which means the backed up file is ALSO corrupt. I'm shooting in the dark here, but is there any way that the FLA can be recovered? Desperate as this is a project I have worked the last month on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben.

• 1. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
          Jinesh Vora Community Member

I got the similar type of problem. My file was crashed when I was working on it and now when I try to open it, it passes the same error message on my output panel. This is the only file I have, PLEASE HELP.

I also noticed that there is one new file with SWZ format created in the same folder, where I have the main file, with the name of textLayout_1.0.0.595.

• 2. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
            BenLeffler Community Member

Thankfully I just found out that I had Version Control auto enabled on my Windows 7 machine, so I'm back in business with a recent version... However, I have a colleague that this issue has also affected on more than one occasion - and it seems to be localised to saving a file as a CS5 .fla or .xfl  ... however the Save As CS4 .fla works just peachy. This could be a rather critical bug if more than a couple of people have hit this issue...

Any Adobe techs wish to comment?

• 3. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Well in my case I had CS4 file opened and saved through CS5, so I  don't know which version it was saved to. But I found one interesting  software, SWF Decompiler, on another forum discussion:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/2812507#2812507. But you have to purchase the software to get your AS back.

Ben, you are right. This should be fixed... Hello, is there any Adobe Tech. looking at this discussion?

• 4. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                nrajbhan Community Member

Hi,

I emailed you two off-list for the CS 4 FLA files that get corrupted when saved as CS 5 versions.  We would like to investigate the issue.

Thanks,

Nivesh

• 5. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Hi Nivesh,

Sorry for late reply. Attched are the files that I have mentioned in the

forum. One is fla file, which was created in flash CS4 and modified and

saved from flash CS5 and ultimately crashed. And another one is, I believe,

created during the error process.

What are the chances that I can get my work back? And how long the

investigation process will take?

Thanks

Jinesh Vora

• 6. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Nivesh,

I just sent you those files.

What are the chances that I can get my work back? And how long the

investigation process will take?

Thanks

Jinesh

• 7. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                      RusNimex

Help me please! Some days worked over the project, and today FlashCS5 cannot open my project, inform on an erro:

"Flash can not parse this document."

or

"An error occurred opening file 'F:\Rus\_site\??????? ??????\top_menu_anime_ver2.fla'
                      The following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

Cannot find file F:\Rus\_site\????????????? ???????\top_menu_anime_ver2.fla."

What to do? Here there is no answer, but somebody can has solved this problem?

1. When I worked over my project at first cancellation function has "Undo". I could not cancel action (Ctrl+Z did not work).
                      2. The history list has disappeared from the screen (became empty).
                      3. I have closed FlashCS5, having save my project.
                      4. I can not open the project because of an error: "Flash can not parse this document."

Help me please!

• 8. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Hi,

I emailed you off-list requesting your FLA file so we can investigate.  If you don't receive the email, please check your junk-mail filter.

Thanks,

Nivesh

• 9. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Hi,

We discovered that the file becomes corrupted due to the empty frame in the following asset:

1. Open the FLA in Flash CS4

2. Open the Library panel.

3. Browse to _movieclips & bitmaps/_gui/_menu wheel/Gui_Wheel_ButtonOverlay_On and open it for edit in symbol-mode.

4. Insert a keyframe in Layer 2 of that movieclip.

5. Save FLA

Thanks for sending us your FLA so we could narrow down the problem.

-Nivesh

• 10. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

So what does it mean?

• 11. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Hi Jinesh,

The reply above was to BenLeffler's post and the FLA he emailed me.

We are still investigating your FLA.  Do you have a CS 4 copy of your FLA before it got corrupted?  If so, can you email me that one?

Thanks,

Nivesh

• 12. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

No that was the same file I opened with CS5. I don't have any other copy, I

wish I had it though.

• 13. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                  BenLeffler Community Member

Hi Nivesh,

Thank you very much. After a quick round of testing, it appears that your suggestion has fixed the problem. I have also managed to replicate the issue on another test .FLA file utilizing the same issue. I guess that it is handy to know how to avoid this rather critical issue in future.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 14. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Is there any luck yet?

• 15. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                      RusNimex Community Member

No, the problem is not solved. The file cannot be restored. Decisions are not present! Do backup copies before work and after it is more often. I am very upset!

• 16. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Well, thank you for the response. But I was checking with Nivesh. I think I

should address him in the message, but I guess the answer will be the same

though - the file cannot be restored...

Again as it was mentioned... this is really a critical problem. This means

that any project that we worked on with CA4 cannot be opened with CS5

otherwise there are more chances to get into a really big trouble. And this

means that you have to have 2 pcs and each should have different versions of

flash... very sad.

• 17. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

I think that it is a problem in CS5, instead of in our works. I think, it is necessary to pass to older versions that it is productive to work, for example CS4 or CS3...

When I have noticed problems working over the project the error has arisen in Flash. I have tried to cancel (Undo ctrl+z), but errors began to appear one for another. I have closed Flash but after that mine fla file has been irrevocably damaged.

These are serious defects in Flash CS5, and I think that we early have passed on CS5...
                                          • 18. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Hi,

I emailed you a fixed version of your FLA yesterday afternoon off-list.  One of my co-workers was able to recover your FLA file.  The issue was due to the following library assets containing empty frames:

MovieClip/sprite 40

MovieClip/sprite 46

MovieClip/sprite 52

Please let me know whether you received that email or not.

We are still trying to narrow down Jinesh's issue.

Thanks,

Nivesh

• 19. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                              Power_VANO

Several days ago I have also got the same issue. A whole one week work was completely

damaged. Had to start all over.

Definitely not good from Adobe to RTM a software with such a critical bug.

• 20. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Yes, I have received my fla file. But my sprites are empty! All my work has disappeared! I should start work over again!

If it is interesting to developers, has begun that I have drag and drop one keyframe from one layer to another layer. After that problems with action cancellation (ctrl+z) have begun, and then the file was completely damaged.

• 21. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                  Power_VANO Community Member

I did some testing yesterday. Saved some CS4 files in CS5 format. It

damaged on average 2 files from 10.

As it seems, at Saving stage, CS5 does not save all components of FLA correctly, cause the "saved file" is notably smaller than the original.

• 22. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                    behived_new

I have the same issue, I created a very large fla project in cs4, installed the flash cs5. Worked yesterday an entire day, saved as cs5 (the fla file format) tried to open it this morning, following error:

Flash can not parse this document.
                                                    An error occurred opening file 'D:\projectssvnnew\name\presentatie\FLASH\presentatie_dynamicVersion_v2\name_air_app_19-0 5-2010c.fla'
                                                    The following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

Cannot find file D:\projectssvnnew\name\presentatie\FLASH\presentatie_dynamicVersion_v2\name_air_app_19-05 -2010c.fla.

I saved it twice yesterday and the 2 files are damaged...

this really sucks...

First experience with flash cs5 is the worst experience I've had with flash (using it since macromedia flash 3.0) or any other software

edit: I tried to unzip the fla, but the xfl file in the fla cannot be opened. It results in the following error:

An error occurred opening file

'D:\projectssvnnew\name\presentatie\FLASH\presentatie_dynamicVersion_v2\name_air_app_19-05 -2010c.xfl'

Message was edited by: behived_new: removed client name + added extra info

• 23. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                      thomasbrault

Hi,

I have the same issue, but i have no versionning system on this FLA, and have one (crached) version of this file ... So I'm screwed ...

Adobe has no solution to fix this problem ?

• 24. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

Hello everyone. Although I have mentioned it in the beginning of the discussion, but still here you go again, for those who are new: go to this link http://www.sothink.com/product/flashdecompiler/index.htm and download trial version to atleast get your components back (note trial version won't get AS back). Some of them can be in modified version, but still it is better than nothing.

I used for my project and I saved little time with it. And I am sure some of you who have big projects can save time as well and probably for small ones it can be blessings.

• 25. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                          -Mani

Hi,

I have the same problem!

I've been working on this project for 3 month now.

It's a multiplayer-realtime game.

Well, I wanted to continue this project with flash cs5, because of the new code features, the better interface...etc...

I didn't backup, because I thought: were would be a problem with adobe???(Damn I was stupid -.-)

Is there any solution?

I'm really destroyed .

All my work......it's just gone....

• 26. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                            Niki Winston

Its look like problem with assets in library that has a russian character.

• 27. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                              dikuno10 Community Member

You're all very unlucky to get this problem. I don't know why you guys got the error when transitioning from Flash CS4 to CS5. My transition went perfectly fine, and the game I was developing went through perfectly clean.

Sorry about your problems

dikuno <><

P.S. By the way, that file that was mentioned "textLayout_1.0.0.595.swz", is created whenever you put in TLF text that is edited at runtime via ActionScript and use Runtime Shared Library (RSL) preloading. Did you leave all your text boxes be, or convert them all to TLF?

P.P.S.S. I was very lucky that I didn't lose my project when I transitioned, as my current game is actually due in around a week. Hoepfully none of your projects that you lost are due in a week.

P.P.P.S.S.S. Imagine if this happened to Alan Becker while he was working on Animator vs. Animation II (it took him five months).

P.P.P.P.S.S.S.S. I feel especially sorry for the guy who spent three months on his online multiplayer real-time game. Must be a real shame to lose all your work after all those late nights and sore backs...

P.P.P.P.P.S.S.S.S.S. If you don't know what Animator vs. Animation is, you should watch the animations. You can find them on YouTube - just look up "Animator vs. Animation" and "Animator vs. Animation 2".

P.P.P.P.P.P.S.S.S.S.S.S. Sorry about all the PostScripts.

• 28. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                -Mani Community Member

Hey,

If you have time to answer it would be awesome!

Well,the work of more than a month is now gone....well...fortune, right?

I didn't convert the textfields into TLF text.

You work on a game too?

Well could you tell me something about it? I'm curious.

Really? It took Alan Becker 5 month?

I relly enjoy his animations!

bye, and thanks for your time!

PS. I would have another .fla file....would you mind, if you could check

this one too?

It's in the attachment

PPS. By the way, I'm actually german, so if there is some bad grammar,

please ignore it

bye

• 29. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

My game? Oh, yes. It isn't really that complicated. It's just like an electronic board game. But still, I would have lost nearly a month's work, which would have been pretty bumming.

I don't see any attachment, though.

Keep an eye open around the Forums. I'll be starting a new thread soon where everyone is free to complain about Fireworks, Flash Pro, Flash Catalyst and Illustrator CS5 crasing. Maybe, if I can gather enough replies, it can be sort of like a petition, and we can get Adobe to release some patches!

(Oh, and good patches, not faulty ones that bring in as much problems as they do solve.)

• 30. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                    -Mani Community Member

Hey,

Cool! you have to show it to me when it's finished!

Really? And now?

Ok I will keep an eye open!

Bye

• 31. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue

The thread's up now. Get everyone you know who's having problems with CS5 to complain at the discussion.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/649242

Make sure they write their name (Forum names are fine, no need for real names) so I can put it together into a "petition" reply!

dikuno <><

• 32. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                        wbfreek21

I was able to solve this problem for a corrupted .fla file. Here's what I did to solve it:

1 - change the extension of the fla to zip so you can unzip the fla into its folder structure (flv).

2 - within the LIBRARY folder, there is likely some asset that is causing the problem. you must figure out which one (or more) it is. you can do this by simply removing files from that folder until your file opens successfully (open the flv file in the root).

3 - once you have the xml files that are causing the problem, you can actually fix them by going in and removing the empty frames. in mine, the part of the xml i removed looked like this:

<DOMLayer name="Layer 2" color="#9933CC" current="true" isSelected="true">

<frames/>

</DOMLayer>

<DOMLayer name="Layer 4" color="#FF4FFF">

<frames>

<DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728">

<elements/>

</DOMFrame>

</frames>

</DOMLayer>

<DOMLayer name="Layer 3" color="#FF800A">

<frames>

<DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728">

<elements/>

</DOMFrame>

</frames>

</DOMLayer>

Basically look for any <frames> tags that don't have anything in them. These are harmless to remove as they are not adding anything to your file anyway.

Now you can open the .flv and save it as a .fla again if you wish.

This seems like a trivial thing for Adobe to be able to fix. If it can't handle empty frames from CS4, then it shouldn't create them in the first place.

Hope this helps someone. . .

• 33. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                          lowellsgustafson

I too have this problem  I saved my fla file and then tried to open it later.  It told me that Flash cannot parse this file.  What do I do?

• 34. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                            wbfreek21 Community Member

See my previous post...

• 35. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                              sydneyrees

After working on a file for four hours this happened to me and so I thought the file was corrupted some way and so I started over making changes to the file.  Four hours later just when I was almost finished re-doing the changes....it happened again.  I am so mad.  Now I have two useless files and I am afraid to go make the fixes again because it will probably happen again.  I am afraid to waste my time on ANY file now in CS5 because I will end up with a corrupted file.  That doesn't bode well with someone that just put all her money into this software. 

To make matters worse I have about 50 more files I need to make changes to and I am on a deadline.  So, I am sitting here.  Can't work because it will probably be a waste.

I went in and looked in the library for empty frames but I probably have over 100 items in my library.  It will take me days to search them all.  So far I haven't found any missing frames.

Could someone please contact me and help me before my head explodes.  I would be forever grateful!  (Pitiful smile with a begging face) 

angela at acuteconsulting.com

• 36. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                                brookshanes

I may be late to the game, but I'm still playing, unfortunately.  After multiple saves and no backup, "Flash can not [sic] parse this document."

Flash CS5 also can not parse a con trac tion.

Will someone at Adobe please get my file and fix it?

• 37. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                                  samueldooley

Looks like I'm also a bit late to the game, but here's another case that causes this error:

Create a new ActionScript 3.0 project, and drag a TextArea to the stage.

Set the text of the TextArea to the eight-character string
                                                                                  you get by removing the spaces from "& # x 0 3 B 1 ;",
                                                                                  that is, "\u0026\u0023\u0078\u0030\u0033\u0042\u0031\u003B".

Save the project as amp.fla.  Close and reopen amp.fla.
                                                                                  Notice that the contents of the text parameter have been encoded,
                                                                                  seems like UTF-8, but I haven't taken the time to check.

Now save the project as amp2.fla.  Close and reopen amp2.fla.
                                                                                  You should get the message "Flash can not parse this document."

I've run into this bug because I want to pass XML data, including
                                                                                  numeric character entity references, into a parameter of a custom
                                                                                  control.  Named entity references seem to survive the round trip,
                                                                                  but numeric character entity references do not.

• 38. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                                    Diablobang

I've got the same problem. Flash can not parse the document.

I've tried every single way that I found on the forums (convert it to .zip and try to fix the xml, open it on cs4, use the decompiler) and nothing works!

I'm getting mad with this... can somebody help me?

I'm close to the dead line. 2 files: both of them crashed!

Please!!!!

HELP!!!

• 39. Re: "Flash can not parse this document" - CS5 Issue
                                                                                      liluc Community Member

I have the same problem and honestly i am pretty mad. I invested another 1000bucks to end up with a software what ruins my projects.

I had it with one file 2 weeks ago and completely rebuild it, because i thought it was my mistake.

Two days ago it happened again and i cannot fix it. I tried to remove some empty frames but the .xfl file just does not want to open.

I do not know what to do anymore! This is a really important project and i am stuck. I cannot redo this file!

Hopefully someone con help me here!!!!

sincerely !

1 2 Previous Next