5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 5:21 PM by the_wine_snob

DVD Menus - Change Number of Scenes Per Page

Dragline2010 Level 1

I am working with Premiere Elements 3.0.2.  I am creating a DVD menu using the built-in templates, and would like to be able to control the number of scenes per page.  For example, the menu I am working with now defaults to 4 scenes per page.  Could this be changed to only show 2 or 3 scenes per page?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DVD Menus - Change Number of Scenes Per Page
          the_wine_snob Level 9

To accomplish this, you will first want to Copy all of the Assets in your chosen Library folder, to a new folder in the DVD Template hierarchy. Let's just say that you want to do this for the Adventure Menu Set, in the Entertainment sub-folder. Make a new sub-folder, say Adventure_Cust, in Entertainment. Copy over the Assets.

Now, go into PS/PSE and edit the Scene Selection Menu template, to suit. Be very careful as the naming conventions MUST match. I would Delete, say Button "scene 4" Layer Set and Button "scene 3" Layer Set, leaving only two  I would also replace the PNG image, to reflect this change. This can be done from PS/PSE, so that you can see that this is a different arrangement. Make sure to match the specs. of the existing PNG's, which are the previews for the Edit Menus Asset Panel. Arrange the two remaining Buttons, as is required, but make 100% certain that NO Buttons overlap, even by 1 pixel. The DVD-specs. will not allow any overlap.

Remember, you MUST follow the naming conventions perfectly, or things will never work properly. Also note that besides the Button Layer Set naming conventions, you MUST follow the naming convention for the files, i.e. the PNG's and the PSD's. Do not deviate. If you get confused, refer to the original Assets in the original sub-folder. I'd take very good notes on everything done.

Now, choose your edited Menu template in the Entertainment>Adventure_Cust sub-folder.

That should work fine, if you are very, very careful.

NEVER work on the original Assets, but ONLY on the Copies.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum.

PPS - Steve Grisetti has a Learning Series on Menu Set editing on the Muvipix Community (forum). Though more for the Motion Background, there might be some tips in this ARTICLE for what you want.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS & PPS

• 2. Re: DVD Menus - Change Number of Scenes Per Page
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Actually, it's easier than that, Hunt.

If the number of scene markers in your video project is LESS THAN the number of scenes on the template, you don't have to do a thing. Premiere Elements will only generate as many scenes on your menu page as you need.

If you want to add scenes to a menu page, that's a bit tougher -- and it involves editing the original template in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, as Hunt says.

Otherwise, if your video project has more scene markers than the template, the program will just create additional menu pages.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DVD Menus - Change Number of Scenes Per Page
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Maybe I mis-read the OP's question. I assumed that they wanted to do Scene Selection Menus, with fewer choices per each. As PrE does the number of Scene Selections Menus to accommodate the total of Chapters/Scenes, if one has, say 15, and the chosen Menu Set has 4 per each, then there will be 3 at the 4x and one one with the 3 remaining choices. If one wishes, instead to only have 2 per Scene Selection Menu, they would need to make the alterations to the Menu Set so that there would be 7 at the 2x and then only one on the last.

Otherwise, PrE will do the number of Scene Selection Menus based on the 4x layout, and then the last one with just the remaining number of Scenes/Chapters necessary.

If I mis-read the requirements, then I apologize.

Hunt

• 4. Re: DVD Menus - Change Number of Scenes Per Page
                Dragline2010 Level 1

The first assumption was correct.  I am attempting to put less scenes on each page, not reduce the number of scenes in the project.  For example, my project might have 8 scenes and I only want to put 2 per page of the menu (4 pages x 2 scenes per page).

The reason for this is that I'm converting home videos to DVD.  My thought was that I could reduce the number of scenes per page and free up some room for text.  I'd like to add descriptions for each segment of home video (names, dates, etc.) that would take a up a bit more room than the template originally allocates.

I could've sworn that this feature existed (without having to edit the template), but it's been a while since I've used Premiere Elements.  Perhaps I'm thinking of something else.

Thank you both for your help!

• 5. Re: DVD Menus - Change Number of Scenes Per Page
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  The reason for this is that I'm converting home videos to DVD.  My thought was that I could reduce the number of scenes per page and free up some room for text.  I'd like to add descriptions for each segment of home video (names, dates, etc.) that would take a up a bit more room than the template originally allocates.

This is going to be impossible in PrE, as there are only two Menus in the Set - the Main Menu and a general Scene Selection Menu, which will be used as many times, as is necessary. All text in the Scene Selection Menu will appear in the rest. Unless PrE 8 has made a major change, that is still the way that it is.

Authoring programs, like Adobe Encore (available ONLY bundled with PrPro), or maybe Sony's DVD Architect, can do this, as one creates the number of Scene Selection Menus, that are required. PrE does this part automatically, based on the number of Chapter/Scene Markers. I do this all the time in Encore.

Things, such as this, are a limitation with the semi-automatic authoring in PrE. It is quick, functions well, but does limit one's choices.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Steve Grisetti has a book on DVD Architect, plus also a Learning Series on it on Muvipix. Not sure of it's limitations, regarding editing Scene Selection Menus, but many users love it, as it is much more powerful and is still user-friendly. As I use and love Encore, I have never even seen that program. He, and several other contributors here do know and use it, so they can comment and direct you. It's probably similar to the way things are done in Encore.