• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inconsistant bullet points

Explorer ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the text edit formatting tools in Captivate 4 to 'bullet' a list, the last bullet point always appears much larger than the previous ones.  Does anyone have any idea as to why this happens and how to avoid/stop it?  Thanks in anticipation!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Cannot repro your problem, tried bulleted lists with several fonts and font sizes and I do not see a difference for the last bullet size.

Could you tell which font you used, when seeing this, perhaps add a screenshot (using the small camera in the toolbar of the postings)?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Lilybiri.

Typeface Arial 11.  As you can see in the example below, the last bullet is larger than the others.  If I insert an extra line and then remove the bullet, occasionally, but not always, it will revert to the correct size, but it is inconsistant in that editing, adding or removing text withing the caption will cause the final bullet to change to a larger size.  I usually manage to get around it by completing my project and then going back and 'faffing' until the bullets behave, and then publishing it before they can go wrong again.  I was hoping that this may have been a known quirk and there was an easy solution.

Thank you

Anne

odd bullet.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You did show me something I didn't know before: just tried your workflow, and could reproduce it, for Arial, size beneath 12pt this phenomenon occurs. Depending on the style of the caption, the last bullet just disappears or is shown in a bigger size. It even happens with numbered lists, think I never use such small fonts in my files.

But it is not consistent, just tried again and had correct bulleted lists at 9pt, 10pt and 11pt (Arial, and different Caption types). What is exactly your way or proceeding: I did first enter all the lines, selected all the text and applied the bullets, all bullets were the same. What seems always to work, because first three bullets are always correct: apply bullets after entering first 3 lines, then add lines (will automatically be bulleted).

Anyway it is a strange phenomenon, perhaps someone else has an explanation?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Hopefully you won't mind my own speculation as to how and why this occurs.

From my own experience, it seems to happen under the following conditions.

Perhaps you create a Text Caption. Now you aren't really wild about the font or maybe the size. So you click on the text and apply a different font or size. But you failed to notice that the text wasn't actually selected before you tried changing things. (arrrgh!)

So you finally select the text and make the desired changes.

What often happens is that you have most of the text in a specific font or font size. But that last character is invisible and contains different attributes. And because of that, you sometimes see inconsistent results that mystify you.

When this occurs with me, I generally just position the cursor at the end of the text and press the Enter key a few times to add some space and blank lines. I then select the lines that really matter and apply formatting as desired. Then I remove the blank lines if they bother me.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

Did suspect that you would suggest to add some blank lines, tried it too, but nevertheless got the big bullet as last one. And I first entered all the text, selected all and applied then the bullet-style. It was only with font sizes smaller than 12pt it occurred. Please, if you know the reason, tell us

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri and Captiv8r

Captiv8r - I understand what you are saying and, yes, I do make little errors such as that regularly, but this seems to behave differently from what I would expect in that case, and it won't allow itself to be put right easily.

It looks like this is a little quirk that I'm going to have to live with and continue my 'faffing' to correct.  Thank you both for taking thime to read and respond.

A couple of unconnected questions -

Do you know whether there is going to be a V5 planned soon?

Is there now, or is there likely to be a British neospeech accent supplied, or available to buy as an add-on?

cheers

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

About CP5, perhaps I'd better point you to the Captivate blog: there are quite a few postings about the future version.

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/05/

But cannot answer on your second question about the voices.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem too and it's actually not limited to smaller fonts, and sometimes the last bullet is smaller not bigger - it's just less obvious in bigger ones. From what I've been able to tel it occurs only if you resize text that already has bullets applied. For some reason the resize doesn't work on the last bullet, even though the associated text changes. So to fix the issue or to resize a bulleted list without it occurring, I select the list, turn off the bullet option, resize the text, then reapply the bullets. Seems to fix it.

Hope this minimizes the "faffing" you have to do, it drove me mad for ages after changing my fonts throughout a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for adding your experience to this thread and trying to help. When I tried to repro the issue, I had the bigger bullet, even without resizing. Having typed all the lines, applied bullet style to the whole of the text and got a bigger bullet at the last line, but only with fonts smaller than 12pts, tried with about 5 different fonts. Can be linked to the way CP is working with fonts, translating the points to pixels, can imagine that this is more difficult with smaller fonts.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I've found this happening on the last/final line of a bullet list. It seems to be whatever the character/paragraph setting is for the text that follows the bullet list, can influence the bullet list. So from character styles to line height, it screws up your bullet styles.

Fix is straight forward, click before the first character on your bullet list, then holding shift tap the down key to highlight the remaining bullets. Now your whole bullet list is highlighted, apply a default paragraph style, then another character style. You may find some of the lines are indented (tabbed) in, backspace these away.

Now highlight the sentances as before and apply your character & paragraph styles, things should look fine now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Captivate 4 and I'm still having this exact problem. My last bullet increases in size even if I type the info from scratch in a new text box. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this problem? I see that many people have tried different things but is there fix from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources