Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

View JavaHelp (Primary Layout)

May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm new to this forum and a new RoboHelp 8 user...I have to figure things out for myself since my employer is not offering to provide funds for training.

I purchased RoboHelp 8 in January of this year for the purpose of creating a Help System which will contain Reference Manuals (Word Format) that are associated with my company's Java Software package. Using RoboHelp 8 for Word, I created a Java Project, imported 18 of my Reference Manuals, and Batch Generated with success (Output - Uncompressed JavaHelp with source output files). I need the output to be "Compressed JavaHelp" in order to create a .JAR file which will ultimately be delivered to the Software Development team to be incorporated into the Java code. When I choose the "Compressed JavaHelp"  or "Compressed JavaHelp with source files", I receive  the following:

Sun Java 2 SDK or later is required to compress the JavaHelp output. Please install the latest Java SDK or choose "Uncompressed JavaHelp" as your output option. This JavaHelp Wizard dialog box also contains an option to "Locate Sun Java SDK Install Folder" button.

I installed the following software packages in the in the C:\Program Files\Java directory on my Windows XP machine:

jdk1.6.0_20 (Latest from Sun) (SDK is now JDK)

jh2.0

jre6

After installation and rebooting machine, I repeated the steps outlined above and I still received the same error message. This time, I chose the "Locate Sun Java 2 SDK Install folder" and navigated to to the install folder. I received the following message:

"Java Software Development Kit (Java SDK) is not installed in the folder". after selecting OK, the next message is "If you want to output compressed JavaHelp, the output file path can not contain "!".

When I attempt to view the JavaHelp (Primary Layout) from the Single Source Layouts node, I receive the same "Java 2 SDK and JavaHelp are required...message

So, I gave up on this project for 3 months and now I'm receiving a deadline to have the project completed ASAP.

I spent 1/2 yesterday on the phone with Adobe Support and after uninstalling and reinstalling JDK, JH, and JRE several times, the issue is being escalted to Tier 2.

Has anyone on this forum encountered this problem? Any information would be very much appreciated!

Thanks - Rie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an article on creating JavaHelp on my site. It is written for RH HTML but it may help.

Even though you are creating help for a Java application, it is not always necessary to produce JavaHelp. Often WebHelp can be used and does a better job with few hassles. See the article for more.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information Peter.

I've been referring to your document for quite some time now...I have tried

everything without success. Hopefully Tier 2 support will be following up

with me soon.

Out of curiosity, I just generated my project using WebHelp and it

successfully created the helpfile.htm. When I chose to view output, only one

small file is present as shown below:

The helpfile.log displays all 18 of my reference manuals, but does not

display in Navigation panel.

I guess I could really benefit from some classes on RoboHelp as this

experience has been exhausting.

Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What illustration?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies Peter, I guess the image did not reach its

destination...anyway, I found an alternate method for viewing my helpset

file by using hsviewer.jar. All my Reference Manuals are present and

accounted for. I know need to find a way to manually convert the helpset

file (helpfile.hs) into a .jar file so I can update the existing Help.jar

file that is currently in the bin directory of my Client machine to simulate

real world environment.

From a command prompt, I entered the following in the directory where the

helpset file resides:

jar cvfm help.jar .

I received the following error:

"Jar.exe - Unable to locate component - This application has failed to start

because jli.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the

problem".

Thank you for your continued support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such as I know is in the article to which I pointed you. Beyond that, good luck with Google. Sorry but it's not a form of help I continued to work with. I'll leave you to work out why.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2011 Jan 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you have resolved your problem by now.

But if not or if someone else is having a similar problem:

copy jhall located in      \\jh2.0\javahelp\lib   to the following folder:      \\jdk1.6.0_20\jre\lib\ext    (paths relative to where these are installed on your machine; I have them under C:\Program Files\Java

make sure that when you right click and select Generate in the dialog box that appear the Version is set to the correct version of javahelp

When you choose Locate Sun Java 2 SDK Install folder browse to C:\Program Files\Java or wherever the jdk is

For the message  "If you want to output compressed JavaHelp, the output file path can not contain "!"  make sure that in Select Output Folder and File Name at the top of the JavaHelp options dialog you select a folder that does not have ! in the path; the default folder does! I personally create a new folder under my project for the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp