Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to resolve broken links in robohelp

New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi..

While generating webhelp, I checked for broken links under Tools->Reports->Brokenlinks. It displayed a message saying that there are few broken links and the name of the missing topic htm.

Can you please help me resolving the broken links.

Thanks for your support in advance.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us which version of RH you are using and, if RoboHelp 8, whether you have installed both of the updates?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH version 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info. What you need to work out is whether this is a genuine broken link or whether it is a legacy left behind by something when it was removed. If it is a genuine broken link, you'll have to find out where the link points to and change it accordingly. If it is a legacy issue you'll have to find the reference and remove it. A good find and replace tool would be of use here. There is a search tool in your Tools tab which you can use. I'd start there and see if this finds what you require.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Robohelp 8, Webhelp.

From the project manager, I deleted some files and a (now) empty folder.  I also removed the affected files from the TOC.  I selected "no" to the automatically remove links prompt because I wanted to see if there were any other files affected by removing it.

The problem is now I have broken links within my Broken Links folder that I cannot remove. I can't select "restore" because there's nothing to restore.  The broekn links point to a folder and file which do not exist, and I cannot find the option to remove these broken links.  I even tried regenerating the Webhelp, but that didn't work either.

1 - Was the process I used to delete the files incorrect?

2 - How can I clear the Broken Links folder?

3 - How do I remove references to the deleted files from the Index?

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By selecting "No" to that message you leave behind the links to the files you have deleted - hence the broken links. You'll have to manually remove these links to remove the broken link references. If you right click on the broken link and use the "Show Topic References" menu item this is help you track them down.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you. I wanted to see the broken links to be sure all links within my document to these files were removed. I wasn't 100% sure these files were NOT referenced elsewhere.

Here's more detail:

I had a Project Folder containing 5  files;  Overview (just a page of links to the files I deleted) L1, L2, L3 and L4.

From the Project Manager, I deleted L1, L2, L3 and L4, the Overview and the now empty Project Folder.

Broken Links displays "Project Folder\L1, Project  Folder\L2, Project Folder\L3 and Project Folder\L4" and they don't exist in my document anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using RH 8.0.0.203.

My project is huge and there are around 3000 files under broken links folder. I am able to manually restore each link. Is there a way by which I can restore all of them together?

Please advise.

Vinay...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. Also there would be no point repairing them as this has been caused by the fact that you have not applied the critical patch 8.0.2.

See Opening Projects on my site. You need to apply patches 801 and 802 and then repair the broken links as described there. Hopefully you have a recent backup as that may open OK after you have applied the patches. Do not open any more projects until the patches have been applied.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp