Exit

Repeated problem of broken link and unused files

Explorer ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I am using RH8.0.2

I have updated my RH8 to RH8.0.2 and then fix all broken link and did what was advised.i got result, everything was fine, I was a happy man. Today when i open the same project for updation, i found again plenty of broken links and unused file in the same project.

Is there any permanent solution of the problem of broken links and unused file or i have to fix it every time when i open my project?

Plz help!!!

Br,

Rahul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The detailed steps for dealing with this problem are covered in the article on my site.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm

If 802 is showing in Add / Remove Programs or Program and Features and in Help > About, the patch is properly applied.

Unless you are working off a network or using Source Control, I don't know why you continue to have broken link problems if you have followed every step. The procedures there have worked for everyone else where the cause was the bug that 802 fixed.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes,my 802 is showing in Add / Remove Programs and i am working on my local machine.

broken link.png

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rahul.

Two things. Firstly some of the paths you have in your project are very long. In the example you have given we are seeing less than half the path. This may not be the problem but it maybe in the future. Secondly, as Peter has suggested, the problem maybe related to source control. Do you use it? I have heard of instances where (e.g. .FPJ) files cause issues.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I do not use source control, but i am not sure was it previously used in

this project, as it is done by someone else.

I am able to see .FPJ file in my project.Is it a culprit?Kindly let me know

how to fix it?

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FPJ file is a file that contains information of a folder's contents and you'll find one for each folder in your project. If you open up in for example Notepad, is there anything in there that references an incorrect topic path?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No,

It as following:

</rhpml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is nothing else inside that file and you have topics in that folder, this explains the broken links. Before we go any further can you please confirm (as Peter asked earlier) that you exactly followed the steps he mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to find is the project is under source control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My project is not under source control.So what can be the probable reason.I

have followed Peter instruction religiously but problem is still there.

Peter:Can you please share the location,if i have to send you the project.

Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I offer to take a look at it?

First repair the links again and then zip it up. How to send it is covered on my contact page.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Can you let me know if i want to shorten the link name inorder to avoid it

from breaking,what should i do?

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is a combination of the path and the filename. You have to make both shorter by having a structure without so many levels and shorter folder / filenames.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

When i am trying to restore the broken link,message is displayed "The file

name is invalid." character can not be used in a path.

So i have to remove the " character.

How to do this?

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you do no know how to rename a file in Project Manager? Same as in Windows, press F2 or go to Topic Properties.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i want to rename broken links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't know what you are try to achieve. Show with a screenshot.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Kindly find the screen shots of broken link.

Broken_ link.png

I want to fix this broken link.How to do it?

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't rename links that is why I didn't understand your question. We are back to the reply I gave earlier. You have to repair broken links. Double click it and you will see the name of the file(s) that have the hyperlink that is broken. Click the Edit button you will see. Find that link in the source file and double click it. You should see the quote mark that should not be in the link, edit it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have fixed the broken link as the way it is written in your website, and

then i reimport the unused files,but after doing that i found again there

are broken links.

How this happen?

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rahul

Are you listening to me?

I said to repair the links, zip it up and send it to me, not to close it and open it again so the broken links appear. I don't follow the bit about importing. Looking at the project in Windows Explorer the topics to which there are links should have been in the project folders but for some reason RoboHelp was not seeing them.

Now let's try again.

1. Repair the links.
  2. Close the project.
  3. Do not reopen it for any reason.
  4. Zip it up.
  5. Send the zipped file to me using one of the services on my Contact page.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have opened the project several times, opened a number of topics and closed it. Every time the project opens without any broken links.

What do I have to do to break it?

Can you confirm again that your project is on the hard disk of your PC and not on a network drive?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if the project is still under source control and the problems are because you are not checking topics in and out?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to add to the confusion here, but to answer the narrow issue of how to remove a project from source control "manually" (or to determine if it is under source control) take a look at Mark Whisler's excellent post

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2768994#2768994

His Forum name is TheMarcus7.  Look for the post dated Apr 28, 2010 4:28 PM

Hope this helps.
John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John,

I do not get any section of code beginning with in my project.

Is in my project source control is active?

Br,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp