Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does renaming styles work...or not?

May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to change my RoboHelp style names from the hodge-podge that has grown up over the years to something cleaner.

I expected that when I changed the style name in the Styles dialog, RoboHelp would obligingly scan through all the html topics and change the old style name to the new style name.

That did not happen. The name is changed in the list in the Styles dialog and in the Styles and Formatting pane, but remained the same in the HTML.

1) I assume this is the intended behavior and that Robohelp somehow keeps track of old style name that corresponds to new style name? Is that the way it works? Or did I miss a step somewhere that would have triggered the scan + replace I was expecting?

If the names are not replaced in html, I don't want to rename the styles, since that would mean I would have to mentally translate between old name and new name every time I wanted to work directly in html, an impossible situation.

But assume that some day I will have plenty of time and actually be able to go through the entire project and change the style names both in the html and in the UI:

2) Does that mean I would need to use find and replace to change all the style namess in html?

Just trying to figure out how it is supposed to be done.

Thanks,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing a style name in the style pod does not update your topics. Sorry but it is a find and replace job.

Do backup first as it can easily go horribly wrong.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, nahhh. What could possibly go wrong?

I once heard of a gentleman that was demonstrating all the wonderful new features of his new word processor. To demonstrate, he showed his guest how with a few deft clicks and keystrokes, all A's were changed to E's. And with another few clicks and keystrokes, he could easily revert by changing all the E's back to A's. (Including, of course, all the E's that were E's to begin with. )

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp