• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate movie imbedded in HTML help on 64-bit Vista / Win7

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a HTML help file with Robohelp 8 containing a link to a Captivate 4 movie and it  works fine on 32-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7, but just displays "Loading multimedia control ..." on 64-bit versions of those OSs.   Any idea what is happening and how to make it work on 64-bit target versions of Windows.  The help file was created on a 32-bit Vista OS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You may want to post this question on the Captivate forum. I doubt that this problem has anything to do with RoboHelp: a html file works on x86 and x64 or on neither.

The only other thing may be the browser. Do you use the same broser on all system. Also, do the movies work in multiple browsers on the x64 system, or is it just one browser?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

Thanks for your reply.

I would have done so, but when I generate the Captivate movie and play it in a HTML browser, it works fine for both 32-bit and 64-bit windows versions in IE.  So the Captivate movie and the browser-OS combination seem to work just fine.

Not so when the player in Robohelp/CHM system launches the movie.  So I figure it must be a problem there. Hence, the post to Robohelp not Captivate.

Attempting to view the movie from within the help system works fine for 32-bit, but not 64-bit.  I imagine that there is a workaround of launching the movie as a separate HTML window from the help system, but I have not investigated that approach and it is not what I originally wanted to do.

Lanny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem mainly because as far as I can tell, there is as yet no Flash player that works on 64-bit systems. Since most new Windows systems come with Windows Vista or Windows 7, this is rendering the HTML Help for our software unusable. Has there been a solution found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Margaret

I recently encountered this myself. The only solution I've found for me is to install the Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode. Then open the CHM from inside there and your Captivate movies should display fine.

Oh, and nag Adobe about it by filing a Bug report. (Of course they likely won't pay much attention to it because I think they feel CHMs are dated and they would like to see AIR help flourish. Then again, I'm not sure if you would see the same thing in AIR help or not.)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, no 64-bit systems can run ANY Flash video including YouTube. It doesn't matter if it is from Captivate. Our user base is rapidly moving to 64-bit Windows operating systems to gain speed. So far, I have not found a way to deliver our Help with video content to our users who are using 64-bit windows, and the 64-bit version of our software. If the Help for RoboHelp 8 is a good example of AIR help, then .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Margaret,

Thanks for your input.  Does that mean that when Flash player 10.1 is released, it should work?  Flash player 10.1 is supposed to provide 64-bit support, as I understand, and is available in pre-release at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html.

Lanny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it later this week when I get my 64-bit system to test. I will  believe it when I see it.  I hope a release version beats our software to its release version or I'll be hosed. It looks like it might be a close race.

~Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lanny

I was looking at the page you linked to and I don't see any mention of 64 bit. Where are you seeing that?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are keeping it quiet. I have seen no big announcements about 64-bit except for on Linux. People are assuming, however. That's why I'm hesitant. I've been watching this issue for a couple of years. This is a real deal breaker for me.

~M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp